Sign in to follow this  
Monkee

Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

It's a very vocal minority too, I'd expected there to be a super low score on IMDb but it's sitting at a solid 8.0. The funniest thing I've been reading is that the franchise has been dumbed down by Disney for the "mass consumers" as if it was all written by David Lynch before this.. it's bloody Star Wars, it was always dumb as a rock.

The hilarious thing is that most of the whinging seems indicative of an inability to understand or even just watch the movie.

The Finn and Rose subplot serves as a thematic counterpoint to Poe's story in that it's about giving him reasons to stand and fight as opposed to Poe who needs to learn when and how to fight. It all also plays heavily into the films second theme which is the idea of the spark of rebellion. 

The bitching that people are doing regarding Snoke completely ignores the fact that we knew absolutely nothing about the Emperor after Jedi for nearly 15 years.

The fact that it's THE MIDDLE OF THE STORY seems to have passed people by as well. It's a miracle it's as concise as it is to be fair.

Also, can you imagine what would've happened if David Lynch had actually accepted the offer of Return of the Jedi? 

Edited by BrodyGraham

I saw this Friday morning at the BFI IMAX and found it absolutely overwhelming. A second viewing in a normal sized cinema will definitely be required to get a proper thought on it. My initial thoughts were all positive and I loved it, but oddly over the past few days some of the story choices have been niggling at me which hasn't happened with the other two new ones. But overall I think it's very good. I could have done with perhaps 10-20% less comedy perhaps.

I was very intrigued by Snoke but think him being killed off is the right move. Do we really need another all powerful evil overlord character in Star Wars? The thought of the First Order being run by a completely unpredictable nutjob like Kylo Ren is far more interesting and pushes things in a new direction. Likewise moving away from the force being all about the Skywalkers. In many ways this film felt like a critique of all the past films but in a positive way.This film felt both traditional Star Wars and also like it was pushing the series in a new direction. I love the old movies with all my heart but if we're getting a Star Wars film every year now then they need to start freshening things up and taking risks.

I can't wait to see it again. It isn't perfect but I cried twice from the sheer fucking joy of the thing (when Yoda turned up and the classic theme kicking in when the Millenium Falcon was being chased through the salt crystal chasm) and no other movie series but Star Wars could do that to me. All the frickin' nerds throwing their toys out the pram about it can fuck off.

Enjoyed it well enough but didn't blow my mind. Might enjoy it more on a second viewing.

Snoke's death was a bit meh for me, but I love the idea of Ren taking control of The First Order and Hux in the mix could be interesting.

Space Dubai was probably the low point for me. And I find myself agreeing that there was a bit too much comedy.

The Ren/Ray scenes were the highlight for me. Great chemistry.

4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

It's a very vocal minority too, I'd expected there to be a super low score on IMDb but it's sitting at a solid 8.0. The funniest thing I've been reading is that the franchise has been dumbed down by Disney for the "mass consumers" as if it was all written by David Lynch before this.. it's bloody Star Wars, it was always dumb as a rock.

Yep. I've seen people moan about the dialogue...THE DIALOGUE!!! Like you said, it's bloody Star Wars. Have they not seen the first film?

One thing that I have to ask is that although being a big fan of the films, I've never gone into the books or EU. I was genuinely always under the impression that Leia and Han had twins and that Rey was their daughter? Is it now accepted that this isn't the case, or have I got this badly wrong?

Also, regarding the books, is there one that stands out above the rest? As my local charity book shop has loads and I fancy giving one a go.

They have twins in the EU, but all books/comics/game storylines in the EU are now considered non-canon after Disney bought the franchise and referred to as "Legends". So officially, there only child is Ben Solo.

I haven't read many but the Thrawn trilogy is widely regarded as the best EU stuff.

Edited by LaGoosh

From what I remember from the Star Wars Encyclopedia, Han and Leia had twins called Jaina and Jacen, and then another kid called Anakin. I think they all turned to the Dark Side at some point because in the Expanded Universe every character turned to the Dark Side at some point.

(I read very little of the EU but everything I heard from friends who were into it made it sound pretty terrible. I was overjoyed when they announced it was all null and void)

The ‘Heir to the Empire’ books by Timothy Zahn were generally the best regarded as they were the first ones and they hadn’t started going completely nonsensical with it all. Introduced Grand Admiral Thrawn who was such a memorable character they worked him into the canon in Rebels.

Rey was a totally new character for Force Awakens.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I just got back from seeing it and felt it was a massive let down based on how good awakens and rouge where. 

The rich planet was the biggest low in the film. The space scene when taken into context to what happens to luke makes zero sense.

There only saving grace was the end with the kid. I loved that even if its built on a lie 

Sorry but i guess im one of the " frickin' nerds throwing their toys out the pram about it" Lagoosh mentions above 

Edited by quote the raven

If you follow Star Wars on Facebook the comments on their Happy Birthday to Rian Johnson post are hilarious.  Hilarious and bitter.

Edited by johnnyboy

25 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

The space scene when taken into context to what happens to luke makes zero sense.

Are you on about the passage of time or something else?  If it's the passage of time I saw this criticism in between my first and second showings in a few places and it's wrong.  If it's something else you'll have to elaborate.

The end of TFA was Rey walking up to Luke.  That doesn't happen until a way into TLJ.  There's nothing to say that from there up to another marker that Luke and Rey isn't a catchup.  The point at which the story streams sync is when Ren and Rey have their first Vulcan mind meld moment - then there's ~18 hours fuel left.  From that point on there's no clear indication that Rey spends another full day with Luke.  She doesn't even have time to do her hair from falling in the water, just changes clothes and leaves in the Falcon at dusk.  We're clearly moving at a brisk old pace, but it doesn't shatter the internal logic of the film or anything.

Aw i ment leia surviving in space and then flying to safety. Only for Luke to make a projection of himself which drains him so much he dies. Isn’t he considered the most powerful Jedi that ever lived?  I don’t really understand why he died? 

Leia also couldn’t move the rocks? And had to wait for Rey to do it? 

Edited by quote the raven

6 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Aw i ment leia surviving in space and then flying to safety.

With you on that, it was a mad moment.  It's the one really take you out of the movie moment.  If it was due to not having Carrie Fisher around to do some additional shots then it is what it is.  If that's how it was meant to be then it's a bit WTF.

Only for Luke to make a projection of himself which drains him so much he dies. Isn’t he considered the most powerful Jedi that ever lived?  I don’t really understand why he died? 

He let go.  He was at peace and he'd said that he'd gone to the island to die.  He'd done what he needed to do, lit a spark, set Rey on her path to atone for his failure with Ren.  Also you get the full circle money shot of him silhouetted against the two sun sky to mirror ANH.

Leia also couldn’t move the rocks? And had to wait for Rey to do it?

Leia's not a Jedi.  Rey's a super badass Jedi that didn't even need training, just being told she was a Jedi.  Leia had some force powers or was "force-sensitive" but wasn't anywhere near a pukka Jedi.

He chose to die then? It came over that his projection had more or less finished him off. My leia comment was in respect to her space flight, she must have had super force powers to do that yet when confronted by rocks was screwed.