Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

It's a very vocal minority too, I'd expected there to be a super low score on IMDb but it's sitting at a solid 8.0. The funniest thing I've been reading is that the franchise has been dumbed down by Disney for the "mass consumers" as if it was all written by David Lynch before this.. it's bloody Star Wars, it was always dumb as a rock.

Yep. I've seen people moan about the dialogue...THE DIALOGUE!!! Like you said, it's bloody Star Wars. Have they not seen the first film?

One thing that I have to ask is that although being a big fan of the films, I've never gone into the books or EU. I was genuinely always under the impression that Leia and Han had twins and that Rey was their daughter? Is it now accepted that this isn't the case, or have I got this badly wrong?

Also, regarding the books, is there one that stands out above the rest? As my local charity book shop has loads and I fancy giving one a go.

• Paid Members

They have twins in the EU, but all books/comics/game storylines in the EU are now considered non-canon after Disney bought the franchise and referred to as "Legends". So officially, there only child is Ben Solo.

I haven't read many but the Thrawn trilogy is widely regarded as the best EU stuff.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Awards Moderator

From what I remember from the Star Wars Encyclopedia, Han and Leia had twins called Jaina and Jacen, and then another kid called Anakin. I think they all turned to the Dark Side at some point because in the Expanded Universe every character turned to the Dark Side at some point.

(I read very little of the EU but everything I heard from friends who were into it made it sound pretty terrible. I was overjoyed when they announced it was all null and void)

The ‘Heir to the Empire’ books by Timothy Zahn were generally the best regarded as they were the first ones and they hadn’t started going completely nonsensical with it all. Introduced Grand Admiral Thrawn who was such a memorable character they worked him into the canon in Rebels.

Rey was a totally new character for Force Awakens.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I just got back from seeing it and felt it was a massive let down based on how good awakens and rouge where. 

The rich planet was the biggest low in the film. The space scene when taken into context to what happens to luke makes zero sense.

There only saving grace was the end with the kid. I loved that even if its built on a lie 

Sorry but i guess im one of the " frickin' nerds throwing their toys out the pram about it" Lagoosh mentions above 

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members

Aw i ment leia surviving in space and then flying to safety. Only for Luke to make a projection of himself which drains him so much he dies. Isn’t he considered the most powerful Jedi that ever lived?  I don’t really understand why he died? 

Leia also couldn’t move the rocks? And had to wait for Rey to do it? 

Edited by quote the raven

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I didn't see it as him dying in a conventional sense. I saw it as him becoming one with the force. Similar perhaps to Buddhist enlightenment. 

Yep. The effort almost did him in, but right at the end he was sitting cross legged and meditative again - he was at peace rather than dead from exhaustion.

That Leia scene is the only quibble I have with the whole film. 

I've seen people complaining that Luke 'goes out like a bitch' and I can only assume that they're absolute fucking idiots to be honest. That Force projection is the single most powerful use of the Force seen in 8 movies and dickheads are complaining that Luke doesn't do anything in the film.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, quote the raven said:

Isn’t he considered the most powerful Jedi that ever lived?

Nope. It was always Anakin Skywalker who was considered the most powerful of all time, but Luke inherited almost similar strength and achieved better mastery without ever turning to the dark side.

*pushes up glasses*

• Awards Moderator

Thinking of Anakin, his whole story is more ammunition for 'the Jedi Order has to end'. They made such a fuss of prophecy and Chosen Ones and 'balance to the Force' and it ultimately didn't come to pass. Luke mentions there was balance for a while... but then there wasn't. So even Anakin turning back to the Light in the end didn't make much difference long-term. Only by ending the Jedi as we know them and starting the whole thing again from scratch will give it a chance of happening.

• Paid Members

A lot of people complained about the First Order bring able to track a ship through lightspeed. Turns out in Rogue One, when Jyn is going through the Imperial weapons development archives she mentions "Hyperspace tracking". So the First Order used the work done by the Empire to develop the technology. Nice touch by the continuity team over at Lucasfilm.

Edited by LaGoosh