Let's discuss the idiots on Reality TV

Jazzy G

• Awards Moderator
On 12/16/2022 at 3:27 PM, Onyx2 said:

How good is Traitors on BBC? A real decent evolution of the elimination formula, a best-of if you will with a twist every other episode. Good characters, fantastic editing and just all round good entertainment. Everyone seems to be everyone else's best friend, but there's just enough subterfuge going on. The Welsh traitor Amanda's going to go all the way isn't she?

That episode last night. Bloody hell.

If someone had described the premise of this show to me over a pint, I doubt I'd have even considered watching it as it sounds like another reality TV show I'd avoid like the plague. Anyone I've mentioned it to has been like 'wait, you watch that?', but then after giving it a go they understand and are also hooked. I was so glad I got on to it when it was 6 episodes deep as it's perfect to binge on.

It's the best thing on telly right now. At first I kept wondering if they missed a trick by letting the viewers know who the Traitors were as it would have been fun to play along at home, but I think the way they've gone about it makes it much more interesting when everyone's guessing, second-guessing, backstabbing and in the Traitors' case, acting their arses off, and we're just taking it all in. 

Winkleman is the icing on the cake as the presenter as she's keeping them all on edge with her demeanour whenever she shows up.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

5 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

At first I kept wondering if they missed a trick by letting the viewers know who the Traitors were as it would have been fun to play along at home.

I thought the same but you're right and they've steered the programme to make it work much better like this.

If you want to see how it works the other way, I'd recommend The Mole on Netflix. Similar idea but one person is trying to stop them winning each challenge and nobody finds out who it is until the last episode.

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

That episode last night. Bloody hell.

Incredible move by Wilf. Thought Amanda was going all the way easily but he played a blinder and paved the way to win. And yet the show throws another twist with the ultimatum ending. Brilliant. 

I'm deliberately not watching tonight so I do a double bill with the final. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, s279 said:

I thought the same but you're right and they've steered the programme to make it work much better like this.

If you want to see how it works the other way, I'd recommend The Mole on Netflix. Similar idea but one person is trying to stop them winning each challenge and nobody finds out who it is until the last episode.

Is it a new series, or is it a repeat of the one from about 20 years ago? I remember watching it on proper early doors Channel 5.

It's a new one but a flashy American version so it's all prison breaks and bank heists for the challenges. 

I can't remember the Channel 5 one but they're up on YouTube (as is the original Dutch Traitors with subtitles) so might give it a go when there's nowt else on.

• Paid Members

Can’t stand Wilf. Just everything about him is annoying. Plus he looks like a Antony Costa/Daniel Mays hybrid. But the way he’s played it with Amanda and Alyssa is exactly how I would’ve done it too. So fair play to him. Maddy might be a bit mad and constantly on at Aaron. But she’s the only one who’s seen through Wilf. 

Really don’t want this to end. The round table discussions are top tier tv.

Edited by TheBurningRed

• Paid Members

The finale was television perfection. 

Spoiler

Wilf completely fucked himself by trying to screw over Kieran. They had Hannah onside in the car to the challenge, and prob could've convinced her to vote Aaron, but he got too greedy and completely shafted himself. Incredible scenes. 

Meryl did not deserve any money though

Edited by Nexus

• Awards Moderator

WHAT A FINALE! (Traitors obvs) 

Spoiler

I'm not sure if it was greed or paranoia but his plan exploded. I'm #TeamWilf but he got inside his own head and overexplained it all. Genius turn by Kieran and the only play he had left. 

Great telly. I look forward to the next series being ruined by overbooking. 

• Paid Members

Incredible television, I binged it all in 3 days and I’m so glad I did because I don’t think I could have handled waiting for each episode to air. 

Spoiler

Wilf played a blinder right till the end but turning on Kieran was a really stupid play, he should have known Kieran wouldn’t go without blowing his cover.

Hannah would’ve backed Wilf to the end and they could have easily got rid of Aaron and Meryl, leaving the Traitors with the money without breaking a sweat. You need to keep two traitors in the final for them to win imo.

I’m hoping the contestants in the next series are a bit more canny as there were some terrible players in this one who treated it more as a popularity contest than a game of deceit. I would say the Traitors lost this rather than Faithfuls winning it. Would love see it a bit detective work rather than just “I love you”, “I trust you” “I know you’re a faithful” etc.