NWA is the best.

IANdrewDiceClay

Anyone check out Empowerrr?

Thought both the Impact and NWA title matches were decent. Surprised Leyla hasn't been used more in AEW unless there's a reason for it?

The rest wasn't bad. Red Velvet looked pretty decent and convinced me more than some of her recent AEW stuff.

The Gail Kim segment was pretty genuinely emotional.

Commentary was worse than an episode of AEW Rampage.

5 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Thought both the Impact and NWA title matches were decent. Surprised Leyla hasn't been used more in AEW unless there's a reason for it?

The rest wasn't bad. Red Velvet looked pretty decent and convinced me more than some of her recent AEW stuff.

I enjoyed it being my first NWA show in over a year but agree the commentary was awful, Galli just hasn't improved at all since I last watched when he had Barrett with him, no idea who the middle guy was and Velvet Sky, much as I love her from her Impact days, added nothing other than getting over emotional at the Mickie James promo and the Kong/Gail segment. It improved slightly with everyone's favorite babyface Tim Storm being out there for the Kamille/Hirsch match but Medusa couldn't have sounded less arsed during the Women's Tag Title final. Both ring announcers were shite as well, the female one sounded worse than early Lillian Garcia which is some achievement

Commentary didn't seem nearly as bad the following night for the 73rd anniversary show.

Loved the opener - Tim Storm is still the best.

Flair's promo was decent enough and didn't bury WWE which is a nice change of pace from people who leave.

Rest of the card was pretty solid. Main event was perfectly booked for the feelgood win.

On 8/29/2021 at 6:22 PM, DavidB6937 said:

She's been used a lot on the Dark shows, she's one they're slowly building up to putting on the main shows more.

29 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

She's been used a lot on the Dark shows, she's one they're slowly building up to putting on the main shows more.

I think that’s a generous interpretation of their strategy. For all of the things AEW does right, the women’s division is rarely one of them. They have excellent talents under contract who either don’t get an opportunity to develop a character, or just wrestle in general. Serena Deeb, Leyla Hirsch, Shida, Nyla Rose, Tay Conti and Thunder Rosa deserve to be featured far more than they are. Unless a female wrestler is feuding for the title, it’s very unlikely that they’ll feature on Dynamite and Rampage. Heck, Brock Anderson has had as been in the Dynamite main event just as many times as the women have. I maintain that Britt Baker is their hottest star, yet they do very little to ensure she has a credible set of challengers, and the talent is there. They’re letting each and every one of these wrestlers down.

EDIT: I got so wound up in my own rant that I forgot to comment on the PPV.

I’ve not watched Powerrr for a long time, but I enjoyed both shows. It’s really odd to see Aldis drop the title to Murdoch, but maybe in the context of the shows this all makes sense and he’s a hotter act than I would have expected he’d ever be. The video package was excellent though, and the match was even better. I genuinely got into it, and the result caught me off guard.

I’d love to see Aldis in either AEW (in spite of the crowded roster) or WWE one day, I’ve always found his act really enjoyable.

Edited by RedRooster

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I don’t see what’s wrong with him cutting her off because other than being a bit generally rude she was asking a loaded question and he wanted to nip it in the bud without a “gotcha”.
There’s no need for all-women’s PPVs unless you’re trying to make up for a shit women’s division to save face. AEW has a good handful of strongly booked women, they have two women’s title belts and a solid division always featured across all their shows that has main evented a number of times.

The worst part of it for me was him desperarely taking credit for paying wrestlers for the NWA show. Came across as pretty sad.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

As great as it is that Khan is as accessible as he is, I wonder if AEW would be better off if he wasn't...he's having far too many moments like this at the moment, where he just doesn't come across well. 

I don't think it matters. The people who want it to fail will criticise no matter what they say and do. People wanted it to fail before they'd put on a single show, that's not going to change.

You grow by consistently putting out accessible, engaging TV and improving the marketing and recognition of the brand. This is a faux pas and there are more but they're in the echo chambers of wrestling podcasts and "radio". It's irrelevant.

40 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I don’t see what’s wrong with him cutting her off because other than being a bit generally rude she was asking a loaded question and he wanted to nip it in the bud without a “gotcha”.
There’s no need for all-women’s PPVs unless you’re trying to make up for a shit women’s division to save face. AEW has a good handful of strongly booked women, they have two women’s title belts and a solid division always featured across all their shows that has main evented a number of times.

The worst part of it for me was him desperarely taking credit for paying wrestlers for the NWA show. Came across as pretty sad.

I don't understand why it was a loaded question? She wanted to ask if AEW had any plans for an all-womens show. Instead he decided to make it all about how great he was for paying people. He was a dick for interrupting her, not letting her finish the question AND for trying to be billy big balls by making himself look good for paying the women.