Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I like the idea of going to Disney but the fact there is a whole caboodle of unknown and hidden things you're supposed to do so that you can actually do the things you've paid for make me sick with disgust. 

Yeah DLP is a different beast in that regard, but they are getting as bad.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

All being good, I’m heading to Florida in 9 weeks (69 days but not counting the seconds or anything). We’re doing 6 nights at Cabana Bay and 11 nights at Pop Century.

We’re just in the process of looking at Genie and Genie+ now as I think we need to book/reserve soon. I used to get confused with FastPasses so I’m leaving all of that to my mate to sort out. The whole park reservation thing is a ball ache too. You have to book which park you want to do on what day and, if you want to park hop, you can’t do it until after 2pm.

All of these hidden extras are very annoying - it makes it difficult to plan, it’s more expensive and spontaneity is impossible - remember the days of being able to just swap out a park for tomorrow if it’s raining today?

I’m really looking forward to going though. My trip to New Orleans in Dec put my travel anxieties at ease because it was all actually very straightforward. The VeriFLY app made it simple and the worst thing was having to wear a mask the entire flight but then I slept for most of the way (crap film choices) so it didn’t really matter.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Looks like 60 days, well on the app anyway. We'll probably try and plan ahead. What's the Genie Plus thing? And these MagicBands worth getting, or are they mainly just collectables?

Ah yes, the create your own lightsaber experience has gone up in price and apparently they aren't including the carry case at the moment, although supposedly that's due to major supply chain issues.

Yes, it has recently changed to 60 days from 180. I would recommend looking at some articles like this https://allears.net/2021/09/19/the-9-most-confusing-parts-of-disney-genie-explained/ which will help to explain Genie Plus. Magicbands. Hmm. You don't need them, but you can have your park tickets, room key, payment cards etc all on your wrist. They are useful, but not essential. They used to be free but now they can only be bought. There is a new version coming out, apparently this year, but unsure when or exactly what it does.

Try and get a reservation to Olga's Cantina if you can. I had a great time in there. 

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@Monkeei absolutely loved Cabana Bay.  Just loved the goofy vibe. Apparently has a lazy river but I wasn’t there for long enough to find out. It’s a good mirror to Pop Century in terms of theming as well.

We’ve wanted to stay at Cabana Bay since it opens as the theming just looks so cool. And we were originally booked into Art of Animation but it was full or something so we were moved to Pop Century. We’ve never done on-site hotels before either (except DLP), always stayed in Kissimmee, but we’ve gone all out on this. It replaces a 3-week West Coast road trip we were meant to do in 2020. 

• Paid Members

I’ve downgraded from pop to all star saved a good £500 I was really looking forward to the sky liner but wasn’t about to pay that much more for it. The savings will offset the genie and pay to ride. 

I would consider giving universal my money. However the cost of car hire is crazy right now.

The 7am scramble to get online every day to book a ride times seems like utter stress to seeing as i will be there when GOTG opens.

Edited by quote the raven

• Awards Moderator
20 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

The only real unwritten rule with things above and beyond park admission is that when it says "advance booking required/suggested" imagine the person reading it coughs, stamps, and does a massive wink.  It should read "advance booking absolutely required as soon as the booking window opens."

Everything included with park admission just depends on your tolerance to waiting in queues vs paying extra to try and skip them.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain it, but it is the same as what I wrote. Not in the know? Fuck off and wait. Look at PunkStep, a smart man who has a holiday there in 6 months time and hasn't heard of any of this. He'll have an appreciably worse experience than someone else who has read the right blogs for the same money. Total anxiety-inducing bullshit. 

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

I appreciate you taking the time to explain it, but it is the same as what I wrote. Not in the know? Fuck off and wait. Look at PunkStep, a smart man who has a holiday there in 6 months time and hasn't heard of any of this. He'll have an appreciably worse experience than someone else who has read the right blogs for the same money. Total anxiety-inducing bullshit. 

I’m the same. I’d begrudge giving them my money anyway but would absolutely do so for my kids to experience it but I’m the sort of cunt who’d spend £10k on a holiday (well I’m not but if I had it I would) then have the entire thing tainted because I had to wait 10 minutes longer for my breakfast because I didn’t know about the Goofy Breakfast fast pass you have to book 6 months in advance. Hindsight FOMO is the worse FOMO.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

You’re not wrong. But also you could apply that logic to any holiday destination. Check details Before you go. But Disney, especially post pandemic has become more troublesome. Needing to reserve a park entry was introduced because of Covid capacity restrictions. Genie/Genie+ is a new service which replaced the free Fastpass service they had used for almost 2 decades. But if you typed into Google Disney World planning you would get thousands of blogs, blogs, websites, forums which would give you the required info. It’s also all over their own website. And Travel Agents should tell you this but it can be really hit and miss with the info they do give and how much they want you to have a great holiday and how much they just want you to buy a holiday from them. (As I wrote this @johnnyboy pretty much summed it up.)

That said, I’ve helped mates booking their holidays if you ever do want to talk about it.

8 minutes ago, BigJag said:

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-launches-new-business-to-develop-residential-communities/

If the parks weren't enough. A Disney housing estate is not far away. I believe one already exits. A small community called Celebration. 

Kinda. Celebration is like a weird fake town. Felt like Stepford Wives. All the houses had to have grass cut to a certain height, particular picket fences etc. But it’s not a residential community as such, more like the kind of Town Walt Disney would have like to have lived in.

@SuperBaconWet and Wild went years ago. There is Volcano Bay nearby, Universal’s Water Park which is supposed to be quite fun. Seaworld’s Waterpark Aquatica is awful. But Seaworld had some great coasters and you’d do it all in 1 day if you wanted. But Universal is probably my favourite theme park so I would say have at least 2 or 3 days (no more) if you can.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

mouse nonces like me saying... 

This is probably it. I looked at a Disney holiday about 3 years ago and this avalanche of FOMO FOMO FOMO crawled out of the woodwork from good-intentioned people. The sheer level of admin required for a holiday you've paid a fortune for now seems to require a month's frenzied admin or YOUR HOLIDAY WILL BE SHIT. Put me right off. 

All getting a bit heated and I am coming across a bit angry. I think I've been watching too much Succession. 

tenor.gif

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Is it really? How come? Busch Gardens looks a bit of a trek from Disney World. We're definitely doing two days at Universal. 

I mean, this is probably not what Bacon meant, but it’s been a few years since Blackfish came out and I still can’t fathom anyone knowing Seaworld’s abuse of orcas and still being able to justify going there.