Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

58 minutes ago, Monkee said:

Have you ever seen the film? Do you know the story behind the theming?

I think it’s a great idea. It’s never stood out as particularly Disney to me and, while the ride itself is a classic, it’s outdated and needed a spruce up. In all the times I’ve been to Disney I think I rode it once when I was little and once as an adult. It’s boring. It doesn’t even have that ‘it’s so rubbish it’s great’ vibe that other rides like Pirates of the Caribbean has.

I think reimagining it as Princess and the Frog is a great idea.

I have seen the film yes, and I am aware of the story behind the theming.

To each his own, personally I loved the ride which is still relatively new in a Magic Kingdom sense, at least (opened in 1992). Having said that, I am still miffed they got rid of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

Edited by Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz

• Paid Members
Just now, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:.

To each his own, personally I loved the ride which is still relatively new in Magic Kingdom sense (opened in 1992). Having said that, I am still miffed they got rid of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

28 years old this year than. That’s hardly new (As an aside at a DLP shareholders meeting when Remmy was opening we were told a rides life expectancy is usually between 20 and 40 years).

@johnnyboy I’m not sure about WDW. Florida seem to still be insisting they can re-open up.

Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

28 years old this year than. That’s hardly new (As an aside at a DLP shareholders meeting when Remmy was opening we were told a rides life expectancy is usually between 20 and 40 years).

Most major rides in Magic Kingdom are older than that and have more or less remained the same since opening, minus the odd refurb or adding scenes etc. Magic Kingdom is generally considered a timeless place, which is why I originally said still relatively new "in a Magic Kingdom sense".

• Awards Moderator
49 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Song of the south was always something Disney wanted to forget ever happened. No big shock to see it replaced. 

I’m not sure that’s the case. The ‘You Must Remember This’ podcasts delve into all this in much more detail, but Disney have always been happy to trade off ‘Zip-e-Dee-doo-dah’ if nothing else. Sometimes it’s not divorced from Song of the South at all (I vividly remember it on a ‘Singalong Songs’ video we had growing up; this was post-‘Beauty and the Beast’ so must have been first half of the 90s), but even when it is, the historical context of the song’s origins are quite troubling. Then there’s the fact that the film, while it’s never had a home release, got four cinema rereleases, the last one as recently as 1986. And Splash Mountain was developed with the Song of the South theme (not just Brer Rabbit, who is a problem of appropriation by himself, but also Uncle Remus quotes you can see in the queue) after that last rerelease. 

I think their decision to change the ride isn’t because it’s always been something they want to forget, it’s more that it’s something they can’t get away with remembering (however sneakily or tenuously) anymore.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members
55 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I dropped my gold a few years back, but that’s cracking thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I really like the the look of the place. They've done a good job with that. Not sure about the way he was banging his wrist against the activity blocks. That could hurt some people. 

They don't give much away in the video. The stuff in the gift shop looks to be of high quality.

Overall. I think theyve nailed the look.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

I don't know about Universal, but at Disney the current capacity limit is under 50% of what used to be capacity.  So even when it's at capacity it's not 100k deep.

I did see over Christmas and New Year Universal were closing the gates within an hour or two of opening!

Last update was both parks were working at 30% capacity. Not sure if that is accurate because both looked manic over Christmas week.