Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Paris doesn't even have an opening date yet does it?  I was meant to be there this weekend for Disneyland Pride.

I was planning to go to Pride! Never booked my travel due to obvious reasons. The RUMORED date is the 15th, just after Bastille. But they haven't confirmed this yet.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I’m totally in awe at the pace at which the new Jurassic World rollercoaster is being thrown up to Universal. It’s gone from a bit of track to a lot of track in less than a week. It also looks bloody incredible!

Universal don’t waste anytime do they. Meanwhile Disney have been building gotg for how long?

1 hour ago, quote the raven said:

Universal don’t waste anytime do they. Meanwhile Disney have been building gotg for how long?

Last few years, well a decade to be honest, Universal have been pretty aggressive in building new rides in the sense of building brand new buildings or adding to exisitng buildings. I seem to remember Transformers being built at a rapid pace, whilst Disney seem content to announce something and wait about 2 years to actually start building, Avatar being the best example. 

• Paid Members

With the exception of Flight of Passage, Disney really just tend rehash rides all the time. The last new ride at Magic Kingdom (I think) was the Seven Dwarves Mine Train - another train ride to go with Thunder Mountain. It’s nothing new. Then there was the Na’avi River Ride - another river ride. Ok, I don’t think there’s another river ride at Animal Kingdom but it’s just so boring! There hasn’t been a new ride announcement from Disney (with the exception of Galaxy’s Edge) that I’ve ever been excited about. They did sell Flight of Passage very well either.

It was only pure luck I went on FoP as Pandora hadn’t long opened when I was last there and the wait times for it were 6+ hours. You couldn’t get a FastPass for love nor money! We were just walking through Pandora to see what all the fuss was about as neither my friend or I particularly liked the film. FoP has broken down (again!) and they’d cleared the ride. Just as we were leaving it reopened and we were able to walk in. We still had to wait about an hour inside because it broke down while we were inside but we did eventually get on. And it was absolutely incredible. It’s genuinely like some sort of spiritual awakening and everyone getting off looked like they’d just been touched by God or something. Disney really doesn’t sell it enough and if I hadn’t been on it already then I really wouldn’t be interested.

On the flip side, they promote Soaring like there’s no tomorrow and is absolute bollocks. I went on that not long after it opened and that too broke down while we were queuing. And I’m still angry I wasted my time waiting to go on such a shitty ride. I really don’t understand all the praise it gets.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Monkee said:

With the exception of Flight of Passage, Disney really just tend rehash rides all the time. The last new ride at Magic Kingdom (I think) was the Seven Dwarves Mine Train - another train ride to go with Thunder Mountain. It’s nothing new. Then there was the Na’avi River Ride - another river ride. Ok, I don’t think there’s another river ride at Animal Kingdom but it’s just so boring! There hasn’t been a new ride announcement from Disney (with the exception of Galaxy’s Edge) that I’ve ever been excited about. They did sell Flight of Passage very well either.

It was only pure luck I went on FoP as Pandora hadn’t long opened when I was last there and the wait times for it were 6+ hours. You couldn’t get a FastPass for love nor money! We were just walking through Pandora to see what all the fuss was about as neither my friend or I particularly liked the film. FoP has broken down (again!) and they’d cleared the ride. Just as we were leaving it reopened and we were able to walk in. We still had to wait about an hour inside because it broke down while we were inside but we did eventually get on. And it was absolutely incredible. It’s genuinely like some sort of spiritual awakening and everyone getting off looked like they’d just been touched by God or something. Disney really doesn’t sell it enough and if I hadn’t been on it already then I really wouldn’t be interested.

On the flip side, they promote Soaring like there’s no tomorrow and is absolute bollocks. I went on that not long after it opened and that too broke down while we were queuing. And I’m still angry I wasted my time waiting to go on such a shitty ride. I really don’t understand all the praise it gets.

The true beauty of Soarin is that when you sit down, you can pop your flip flops off, do the ride and when it stops, your flip flops are there ready to slip back on!  Which other ride does that?

• Paid Members

Soarin probably was my favorite Disney experience my 75 year old to my 10 year old disabled son all got something out of it. Sure its not a thrill ride or high octane but what it does it does very well,

Mission space on the other hand can go to hell and never ever come back. The mrs and me went on it once. and once only........got so sick we had to call it day and go home. how anyone enjoys that is beyond me  

Is mission space the one where you sit really close to a screen and there are four of you doing different jobs? I liked that one.

I’m budgeting/planning for LA next year. I think I’ll get a one day pass for Universal (go in the morning and be out in time for the wrestling on the evening) and a three day park hopper for Disney. I’ve only been to Universal Hollywood once before, and I remember being a bit underwhelmed with it even though my ticket was free. I’d been to the Orlando parks about six weeks before, and the Hollywood one was mostly a lesser version of the same. I loved the studio tour, though. The Disney parks are worth it just for Mission Breakout for me.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Is mission space the one where you sit really close to a screen and there are four of you doing different jobs? I liked that one.

That’s the fucker, the pressure of lift off followed by looking into the tiny screen trying not to vomit 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

3 years on they still open Animal Kingdom an hour early every day just so people can queue for it inside the park.  They pen in at the bridge by Nomad Lounge and there's a 3 hour wait by the time the park "officially" opens.  I'd say enough people know about it.

I didn’t explain it properly. It’s obviously popular because of the queues. I meant that I don’t think they describe it enough for people (like me) who really aren’t bothered about Avatar. It’s an absolutely incredible ride and I’m so grateful that it broke down and I got to ride it otherwise I would’ve just dismissed it.

2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Because you're gliding through the air?  Front row, centre vehicle is best as you're dead on and there's no feet in front of you.  It's ASMR on a gigantic scale.

My experience is that it wasn’t immersive enough. I could see the edge of the screens, I could see the other ‘vehicles’ in my peripheral vision. It just felt like I was on a crappy simulator ride. Maybe it was because I wasn’t in the best seat but surely any seat should be at least a good seat.

38 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Yes! I absolutely LOVE that ride. That’s another technically brilliant ride where you’re totally immersed in the experience - the same as Flight of Passage. For me, a great ride is one where you lose yourself. These two do that for me.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Well yeah, while front row centre vehicle is the best I've sat all over in both versions and have loved it every time.  My biggest, and only real, criticism of Soarin Around the World is that some of the CG scenes bend depending on where you are.  A case where the original Soarin Over California was the better version.

soarin_around_world_review-53.jpg

Seriously, who signed off on that?!

Same person who signed off on this what-do-you-see-in-Soarin-Around-the-Wor ugh