Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

26 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Drayton Manor Park and Zoo for me, Jeff. Unless we're counting the fair run by the gyppos which comes to the village for about 4 days a year which fucks on any permanent theme park.

Growing up just outside of London, Drayton Manor was like this myth. “A theme park past the Watford Gap?” Even though we’d been to fucking Alton Towers.

Glad to know it actually existed.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

She’s only taken me to Disneyland because Metroland in the Metro Centre closed down.

I remember seeing adverts for it in The Beano and wanting to desperately go. I finally went 11 years later and it didn’t live up to the advert. 

I got excited when my local shopping centre announced a Nickelodeon indoor theme park, having seen the ones they have in American Malls. However, the reality appears to just be themed rooms and meet and greets with no rides. What a cop out

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

I’ve been to loads of theme parks, including Disney (France and Florida). I’m not messing, but Camelot was the best of them all. Better rides, food outlets, the lot. 

Camelot was the place where we were waiting in the queue for one of the little rollercoasters when a lad in a wheelchair went through the shortcut gate.  The guy looking after the ride, dressed in his tights, tunic and hat, looking pissed off with life anyway saw him, rolled his eyes and shorts l shouted "Darren, we've got another disabled".  Darren appears with half a sandwich hanging out of his mouth, audibly muttering "for fucks sake", grabs the chairs handles and pulls down nearly flipping the poor bastard in the air while the original guy grabbed the wheels to lift him onto the gantry.  Kids dad now really pissed off shoves them both out of the way, called them a shower of shit, them wheeled him off.

Class.

45 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Camelot was the place where we were waiting in the queue for one of the little rollercoasters when a lad in a wheelchair went through the shortcut gate.  The guy looking after the ride, dressed in his tights, tunic and hat, looking pissed off with life anyway saw him, rolled his eyes and shorts l shouted "Darren, we've got another disabled".  Darren appears with half a sandwich hanging out of his mouth, audibly muttering "for fucks sake", grabs the chairs handles and pulls down nearly flipping the poor bastard in the air while the original guy grabbed the wheels to lift him onto the gantry.  Kids dad now really pissed off shoves them both out of the way, called them a shower of shit, them wheeled him off.

Class.

I worked a summer there 20 years ago. It was my first job. We were all given about 5 minutes safety training. So you had a bunch of teenagers who had no clue what they were doing operating alot of the rides. One of the maintenance staff died repairing one of the roller coasters a year or so later.  Which I believe made them get their shit together abit.

I think most of the rides were eventually sold off to Southport. I had fond memories of Camelot as a kid but working there was depressing.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I worked a summer there 20 years ago. It was my first job. We were all given about 5 minutes safety training. So you had a bunch of teenagers who had no clue what they were doing operating alot of the rides. One of the maintenance staff died repairing one of the roller coasters a year or so later.  Which I believe made them get their shit together abit.

I think most of the rides were eventually sold off to Southport. I had fond memories of Camelot as a kid but working there was depressing.

Sounds like working at a Disney park

• Paid Members
On 9/8/2019 at 1:07 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

I said they were nice and pretty cheap, wind your neck in.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:16 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

Bullshit. Nice isn’t great, amazing, wonderful or excellent is it? Talk about splitting hairs.

You really are a horrible prick, aren't you? Always crying about other people and yet you respond to a very sane argument from a poster as nice as Johnnyboy like this. I always thought you were just a bore. Came to realise you're actually a twat.

Good job Johnnyboy has been around her too long for us to lose a good poster over such pathetic bullying.

• Paid Members
On 9/8/2019 at 1:12 PM, johnnyboy said:

They're "cheap" by Disneyland Paris standards.  To say they're nice is stretching the word beyond the point of breaking.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:03 PM, johnnyboy said:

Some of these are downright awful suggestions.  Videopolis is a substandard hamburger in an aircraft hangar.  McDonalds?  I like the curry Chicken sandwich thing that French McDonalds do but in no way can a McD's be a nice place to eat and even the Earl isn't really a nice you're a superstar meal.  Thanks for taking me to Disneyland Paris love, have a toasted sandwich?

@tiger_rick

So because I used the word bullshit I'm a horrible person? He said my suggestions were down right awful. I had carefully tried to help someone, based on the information provided with places which were near to where he was, which covered various prices. I didn't personally attack either. I will say this. And my tone wasn't intended to be malicious at all. I know tone is very hard to get across when writing, but my first reply had no malice intended at all. My follow up, mild annoyance. But I do struggle to present my tone on here. 

If @johnnyboy was at all upset by my comments, I would absolutely apologize to him as a person. Because even if I don't agree with someone, I wouldn't want them to feel shitty. Not that others offer the same care. All I was trying to do was offer some help to someone in an area I know quite well. Clearly he does as well, but I did worry by mentioning the word McDonalds it would get sarcastic replies, and from others it did. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Moving on, I have a family friend in Disney yesterday. Star wars was running at 45 minute wait.....

With the less than stellar numbers in California have Disney messed up the easiest home run ever?  I heard an argument that no one wanted a random planet with all the current cast. 

Or are people just waiting for rise to open? 

• Paid Members

what @johnnyboy said, plus it loads more people quicker then other attractions like FOP. I am only going in September because I have no idea when I will be back there, If I was going on a proper WDW holiday I would have been holding off until Rise of the Resistance as well. But I think/hope DLP will announce their's as being Tatooine or similar so we get a different world, and hopefully a different attraction.

ON that front today, DLP released a load of news and images including Arrandale being the Disney version of Diagon Alley with 1 attraction and a shit load of shops, but looks pretty.  

• Paid Members
On 9/8/2019 at 5:44 PM, Mr_Danger said:

For me, it'll always be the dodgy fair in Salou. Like the waterparks over there the real thrill is in trying to second guess what will and will not fly with the Spanish health and safety police. For added bonus points i was only a nipper yet they still let me walk away with a bottle of Schnapps I won on the ring toss.

Oh my god, I LOVED the fair in Salou! You brought back memories with this one. I used to love the ‘pull a string, get a prize’ stall. I think I probably won a few bottles on that too. And the woman who ran it was always chewing a massive ball of gum. My dad reckons it was the same piece of gum every time we went and we went there more than 10 times in the late 80s/early 90s. 

They also had that bouncy ride that was called the Kangaroo or something. Seen a few inappropriately dressed women come off that wishing they’d worn [better] bras.

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members

Just booked to go to Disneyland Paris in February staying at the Cheyenne. Not stayed in a Disney hotel before. Wanted to do the Eurostar too but it doesn’t coincide with the days we wanted to go so it looks like we’re driving instead. I’ve been before but I can’t wait for this trip already!

Do they do Magic Bands there yet?