Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It's cruise prices without the sea sickness. It's too rich for my blood, considering you need to have a 10 day+ holiday booked around it as well. It just doesn't grab me at all based on the itinerary. I give it 5 years before it is turned into a Star Wars Hotel instead.

We've been on a Disney cruise that cost what the Star Wars hotel costs but it was 7 nights on the ship compared to the maximum 2 nights you're allowed in the cosplay hotel and we got to go to Jamaica and get shitfaced on rum. And I don't get seasick. Fuck it, I'm booking another cruise.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

Just recorded a podcast about it. While we were discussing it I was checking out Disney Cruises. In August, 4 night cruise from port canaveral, going to Castaway Cay as one of the stops for 2 adults was just over $2k, so less then half then Starcruiser.

Also, where do you smoke?

• 6 months later...

Somebody told my wife that at Universal Studios in Orlando they have the final night of "Halloween Horror Nights" and then the very next morning all of the Halloween decor is gone and all of the Christmas decorations are up.

Surely it doesn't happen that quickly, does it?

Has anybody been there at that time of year and can shed some light on this?

11 minutes ago, dopper said:

Somebody told my wife that at Universal Studios in Orlando they have the final night of "Halloween Horror Nights" and then the very next morning all of the Halloween decor is gone and all of the Christmas decorations are up.

This is a pretty good summary:

http://magiccitymayhem.com/universal-changing-over-from-halloween-to-christmas/

But yes in short - it's as quick a turnaround for both Universal and Disney as they can manage really. They get an awful lot done during the nights.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, dopper said:

Not exactly. In WDW it took about 4 or 5 days for the Halloween stuff to be gone and replaced with Christmas decorations but it is a much much bigger park. Also there Christmas Parties normally start by the second week of November so they do really get a shift on. Universal is quicker to turnaround as it is much smaller and most of the HHN spaces are not used outside of the event, at least not for day to day guests.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, dopper said:

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

We have booked to fly out in that first week of November and were hoping to experience the Christmas stuff in the fortnight we are over there.

Oh you’ll be fine in that case. Although I personally LOVE the Halloween decorations. Both parks do a great job. And the Mickey’s Merry Christmas parties will start while you’re out there. They are up charge events on select nights.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, quote the raven said:

I see disney taking a real hammering over on trip adviser. 

Yet are still posting record profits. I can only guess they will continue in the same vain as they have been. At this stage paying for autographs is next isnt it?

What for, Galactic Starcruiser?

Finally taking the kids to Florida this August. We're staying at All Star Sports for 2 weeks and definitely planning on going to Universal Studios and Island of Adventure for a couple of days. Haven't decided where else to go yet, possibly SeaWorld.

Any tips in terms of eating i.e. restaurant recommendations and which times are best to go? We have $500 restaurant credit as part of the standard deal Disney seem to offer although looking at the prices that probably won't go that far. 

What's the current Covid rules for travelling to Florida? Is it just vaccination passports for adults required and/or negative tests?

My son has saved up money to build his own lightsaber and is now saving up for the droid depot, which I'm actually quite excited about. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Finally taking the kids to Florida this August. We're staying at All Star Sports for 2 weeks and definitely planning on going to Universal Studios and Island of Adventure for a couple of days. Haven't decided where else to go yet, possibly SeaWorld.

Any tips in terms of eating i.e. restaurant recommendations and which times are best to go? We have $500 restaurant credit as part of the standard deal Disney seem to offer although looking at the prices that probably won't go that far. 

What's the current Covid rules for travelling to Florida? Is it just vaccination passports for adults required and/or negative tests?

My son has saved up money to build his own lightsaber and is now saving up for the droid depot, which I'm actually quite excited about. 

There are no best times. You have quick service and sit down options at most parks. The best meal I ever had in a theme park was California Grill, but it's pricey as it is one of their posh restaurants. Things like the Sci-Fi dinner and 50's Prime Time are fun places with burgers/fried chicken type fare. Best time to eat 11.30 or after 15:00 as thats the lunch rush. 

Just a warning on those gift cards, a co-host of mine went recently and her card was actually shared by at least 4 other people (as in, the digital gift card they gave you was the same card number as other guests were given). It was a real mess as the company issuing them is an outsider company they have hired. I am hoping that is fixed by the time you go.

As for the Lightsabre experience, make sure you book in advance as the slots go quick. And on that, I think you can book your parks and restaurants 180 days before your trip. You still have to select which park you want to go to each day of your stay. Also, as it is August when you are going, you may want to look into Genie Plus.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

They have made quite a few cuts to perks and increased prices. The genie and paid for lightning lanes to no transport from airport. 

id advise using that credit in your hotel or other quick service places if your not fussed on eating posh. 

Also heads up there is a McDonald’s in walking distance from all star far cheaper than paying the mouse for breakfast. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And on that, I think you can book your parks and restaurants 180 days before your trip.

Looks like 60 days, well on the app anyway. We'll probably try and plan ahead. What's the Genie Plus thing? And these MagicBands worth getting, or are they mainly just collectables?

48 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

They have made quite a few cuts to perks and increased prices

Ah yes, the create your own lightsaber experience has gone up in price and apparently they aren't including the carry case at the moment, although supposedly that's due to major supply chain issues.

• Awards Moderator

I like the idea of going to Disney but the fact there is a whole caboodle of unknown and hidden things you're supposed to do so that you can actually do the things you've paid for make me sick with disgust.