Disney and Other Theme Parks aka PB's fairgrounds for young girls

Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Monkee said:

Arrived at Cabana Bay yesterday and I’m very impressed so far. The theming is fantastic - I love the 1950s vibe everywhere. The diner is great but it appears to serve the same thing every day so we won’t be eating there regularly. We love the refillable cups though and a bargain at $18 did our whole stay. Definitely worth it!

We’ve spent today at the pool to acclimatise and we’re off to Universal Studios tomorrow. We’ve never had breakfast in a park - always had breakfast before driving but as we’re so close we thought we’d change it up - and have decided on the TODAY Cafe as the menu looks really good.

Good choice. Had breakfast at the three broomsticks* and it was pretty awful. A version of a full English which wouldn’t pass muster here. Voodoo Dougnuts was our breakfast of choice and come recommended 

• Paid Members

So im booked in late September. 

Pre judge over ruling the mask mandate i had a very interesting time trying to work out how the airport would work with my disabled son unable to wear a mask.

BA where fine and would give him an pass.

However MCO had no idea what would happen when we landed. They couldnt tell me if they would even allow him off the plane. Worse still if they did they might not allow him back in the airport to get home. I bounced emails to everyone and no one is going to answer it.

I got a month or so before i have to pay the balance so any whiff of mandates will be another cancel. Sad thing is now hes near 6 foot the long haul travel logistics become near impossible so times running out to get him back. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Monkee said:

Arrived at Cabana Bay yesterday and I’m very impressed so far. The theming is fantastic - I love the 1950s vibe everywhere. The diner is great but it appears to serve the same thing every day so we won’t be eating there regularly. We love the refillable cups though and a bargain at $18 did our whole stay. Definitely worth it!

We’ve spent today at the pool to acclimatise and we’re off to Universal Studios tomorrow. We’ve never had breakfast in a park - always had breakfast before driving but as we’re so close we thought we’d change it up - and have decided on the TODAY Cafe as the menu looks really good.

We were looking at this or Endless Summer for our hopeful trip next year.  Edging towards endless summer due to the Suites, but both look great.

• Paid Members

I forgot to mention we got a free upgrade at Cabana Bay to a junior suite (just because I asked) and it’s a really nice room. Has a small living area with mini kitchen. Not that we’ve used any of it as we’ve been out at the parks the whole time.

We’ve done Universal Studios, Volcano Bay and Islands of Adventure. IoA yesterday meant riding the Velocicoaster for the first time and it was amazing! It’s probably the fastest coaster I’ve ever been on and it was just brilliant - I loved it! The queue was a lot shorter than expected too.

We also did Hagrid’s motorbike ride (my friend’s favourite of the day) and that was great too. Didn’t expect some of the bits that happened (won’t give it away) and really loved the theming.

We’re having a day off today as we’re absolutely knackered - not used to so much excitement and walking after 2 years doing not much at all! So it’s a pool day and then we move to Pop Century tomorrow so we have to pack up tonight.

Apart from the convenience of being so close to the parks, I’m not sure I’d stay here again if I’m honest. It’s a lovely hotel but I don’t think there are any stand-out extras that make it worth the money. I’m glad we tried it out though, definitely something you have to do at least once.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Monkee said:

Apart from the convenience of being so close to the parks, I’m not sure I’d stay here again if I’m honest. It’s a lovely hotel but I don’t think there are any stand-out extras that make it worth the money. I’m glad we tried it out though, definitely something you have to do at least once.

Glad to hear you’re having a ball. I’m surprised at your last comment though, but that’s only based on my last stay. I think we paid about $100 a night between 2 of us which was much less then the values at Disney (which is why we only spent 1 day at Disney as we were really going for HHN), but I’ve not looked at any prices for this year. I know prices for Disney this year have been ridiculous (Beach Club, 2 weeks, 2 Adults and 2 Teenagers was £20k with premium economy flights in August!) but wondered what Uni were charging at the moment, or how it compares against Disney at least.  

• Paid Members

We went to Hollywood Studios today for May the 4th. It wasn’t as busy as I thought it would be - busy but not shoulder to shoulder. Galaxy’s Edge was incredible. I think I just looked mad the entire time with a permanent face of wonder. It’s insanely hot today though and not many places to shade (only complaint) but we had a great time. Got LLs for both Smuggler’s Run and Rise of the Resistance, the latter being my favourite of the two. We tried the blue milk and green milk too, I preferred the blue and could’ve drunk a gallon of the stuff today.

As it’s so hot we left the park at 5pm to get back to the pool. We’ve got another day at HS booked for next week so we’ll do the rest of the park then. Absolutely loved today though, I felt like a kid in awe of it all 😁

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Coming round the corner and seeing the Falcon for the first time is a feeling I never want to forget.  She's definitely got it where it counts.

I actually got choked up on RotR and felt a bit overwhelmed. Can’t remember how to do spoiler tags but it’s where it opens out into the massive hangar.

Also, I’ve taken so many photos it’s unreal, especially yesterday. My nephew’s a huge Star Wars fan and follows me on Instagram (@engyles) so I wanted to show him everything.

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members
On 5/5/2022 at 7:37 PM, PunkStep said:

How long have the queues been for some of the big rides, eg Velocicoaster?

We got to Islands of Adventure around 10-ish and it was about 45mins for the Velocicoaster so it really wasn’t too bad. We got a Special Assistance Pass though as my friend can’t stand in line for long periods of time so it’s like a virtual queue. Hagrid’s was quite long (maybe 60-90mins) and Gringott’s was a bit shorter (about 60 mins) from what we can remember.

Rise of the Resistance was longer (maybe 90-120mins) and Smuggler’s Run was a bit shorter but then we were at Hollywood Studios on May the 4th and it was busy.

The Lighting Lanes and paid-for LLs have been really useful though and, once we got the hang of it, really easy to use too. We managed to stack a few throughout the day. The trick is to get the one you want as early in the day as possible because once you’ve done it then you can book another. You can stack two at the same time too in some cases depending on the times you want.

Today we did Epcot and got Test Track for 11.30am (booked at 7am, went back to sleep) and then at 11am we could book another one so we got Mission: Space for 12pm which meant that we came off one and went straight on the next. Staying on-site has definitely helped get LLs for the most popular rides but no idea what’s left at 9am if you’re off-site.

Edited by Monkee

• 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator
12 hours ago, Monkee said:

Just got 2 Saturday tickets for Star Wars Celebration next year. Anyone else going?

Yes! Somehow managed to grab two four-day passes. 

They had so many issues with the virtual queue, cards being declined, scalpers grabbing the best tickets etc, I still don’t quite believe I got them even though I’ve got the confirmation email. But I think I do.

• Awards Moderator
55 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

The slots I got from the waiting room to the queue got me in about 17:35 and all the Jedi and 4 days were showing as sold out so I had to get each day individually :(  The nicest touch was the £15 shipping for a pin and lanyard but I was concerned about changing my basket at that point so just sobbed into my hands and assumed that an Ewok will deliver it on a speeder bike.

I did not choose a lanyard so it’s a mere £4.50 delivery for me. I clicked past all those optional things for fear the tickets would disappear - got on at about 17.15 so think I was just in time for the 4days. 

I think with 2023 being the 40th anniversary of Return of the Jedi, Ewok delivery is a given.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator