It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe it needs it's own thread (and someone who is a better writer than me to articulate), but America right now is...a lot.

From the President advocating violence and being censured by Twitter, to the cops again abusing their power left, right and centre, the last few days have felt somewhat different to before when this has happened.

I didn't realise my eldest was reading what I was looking at on Twitter, and obviously the feed has been full of George Floyd and what's happened, and she asked me if any of these police officers ever get arrested for what happens, and I didn't even know what to say.

Fucking awful.

13 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Maybe it needs it's own thread (and someone who is a better writer than me to articulate), but America right now is...a lot.

From the President advocating violence and being censured by Twitter, to the cops again abusing their power left, right and centre, the last few days have felt somewhat different to before when this has happened.

I didn't realise my eldest was reading what I was looking at on Twitter, and obviously the feed has been full of George Floyd and what's happened, and she asked me if any of these police officers ever get arrested for what happens, and I didn't even know what to say.

Fucking awful.

It’s hard to know how to articulate what has happened over the past week. The contrast between the way Trump spoke about the ‘good people’ in the militia who took over a government building a few weeks ago and those protesting the unnecessary death of an unarmed black man is shocking, even for him.

The callous indifference to human life in the comment ‘when the looting starts, the shooting starts’ is horrifying. 

I don't want to derail the thread into hip hop and Killer Mike, but he has always been one of the best at articulating anger and rage into a positive message, and this is probably the *best example I can think of that shows that.

*and obviously when he said "First of all, fuck the fucking law, we is fucking raw" on Ooh La La

When all this is over, Kaepernick is going to be remembered in the same breath as Rosa Parks and MLK in my opinion.  He fucking broke a lot of this open by refusing to be silent, refusing to be gagged even as it cost him his career.  It takes people as visible as him to make personal sacrifices to kickstart a movement.

The US really is fuckety fucked right now.  A fascist, half-deranged President, an out of control pandemic, lockdown, race riots and 5 guns per capita.  The possibility of spinning into actual armed conflict on the streets is as real as it's been since the late 60s.

I'm not confident about the elections at all.  I think Trump will steal it, or declare the results null and void.

We're still in the first act.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I don't want to derail the thread into hip hop and Killer Mike, but he has always been one of the best at articulating anger and rage into a positive message, and this is probably the *best example I can think of that shows that.

*and obviously when he said "First of all, fuck the fucking law, we is fucking raw" on Ooh La La

Uhh. If we're doing this then I'm posting this one! Super appropriate to the situation going on there right now...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

When all this is over, Kaepernick is going to be remembered in the same breath as Rosa Parks and MLK in my opinion.  He fucking broke a lot of this open by refusing to be silent, refusing to be gagged even as it cost him his career.  It takes people as visible as him to make personal sacrifices to kickstart a movement.

The US really is fuckety fucked right now.  A fascist, half-deranged President, an out of control pandemic, lockdown, race riots and 5 guns per capita.  The possibility of spinning into actual armed conflict on the streets is as real as it's been since the late 60s.

I'm not confident about the elections at all.  I think Trump will steal it, or declare the results null and void.

We're still in the first act.

Yep. When you've got a load of white people trying to explain to MLKIII why he's wrong about his own father's words about why "riots are the language of the unheard", it gives a glimpse into why the US is not getting better any time soon. Before, my initial thought was that the majority of White America simply needed to be shown the reality of what was going on, and they would attempt to correct their ignorance in the face of such horror, but when you have the sheer number of cases stacking up as they do, of which George Floyd is just the latest in a string of thousands, and there continues to be a disturbingly high number of apologists defending the indefensible, eventually there's no benefit of the doubt left to give. Not only are injustices being perpetrated without remedy for the victims, but America has shown it is not even interested in acknowledging the injustice, let alone addressing it. And I'm not just talking about the GOP; the Democrats have been dominated for too long by people who have no interest in making a true paradigm change. They simply want to curb capitalism's excesses, and nothing more. 

And yeh - it's going to be interesting in 2021. I wouldn't bet against Trump losing and refusing to recognise the loss. More likely, given how shit Biden is, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Trump won, and then tried to repeal the two-term limit.