Jump to content

It's today then ... (Trump thread)


mikehoncho

Recommended Posts

Posted

So much confusion amongst the press right now.  It's actually quite worrying how little a lot of US journalists understand about the process that's taking place even.

Here's a great summation of what's actually happening:

 

  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Posted

Can’t believe he restrained himself by stopping at 50, that’s not very Seth. Actually, I saw it end at 19, then actually LOLd at a continuing extra thread with postscripts. Hoping someone posts some Eric Garland, feels like game theory time.

 

Posted

It's almost like Twitter is a terrible medium for serious political debate! ;)

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, Loki said:

It's almost like Twitter is a terrible medium

That's all that's needed.

Posted

Quite funny with Trump supporters and Trump saying he's been exonerated when that is the one thing it doesn't do.

It seems that the main takeaway is confirming Russia did exert influence over the election. Trump should be now denouncing them, especially as he said he believed Putin not that long ago. But of course, this lunatic will ignore that and go on about witch hunts (which this...wasn't now apparently)

It was always odd the stock people put in the report. It was never going to be Watergate. I honestly don't think Trump is clever enough to collude with Russia.

Posted
45 minutes ago, Factotum said:

 

It was always odd the stock people put in the report. It was never going to be Watergate. I honestly don't think Trump is clever enough to collude with Russia.

I wouldn’t go that far. For all his talk of things being the wettest ever in terms of water, you don’t get to his standing in life by having the mental capacity of Ralph Wiggum. I think he knows how to be involved with something just enough so that when/if it all turns to shit, he’s able to put someone into position to be the Fall Guy for it, and he gets away Scott free

  • Moderators
Posted

Just to clarify we don't really have any idea what's in the report. We only know what's in the Barr summary, and he was brought in specifically to bury the report. It's not really over yet.

Posted
Quote

Just to clarify we don't really have any idea what's in the report. We only know what's in the Barr summary, and he was brought in specifically to bury the report. It's not really over yet.

I don't really believe that line of thinking. If he has, there is no way that it doesn't leak whats actually in it. I think there's level of corruption, but I don't think the 'smoking gun' that many were hoping for, is there. The report has done well in indictments for those who were involved in levels of corruption and they have gone to prison or are under investigation.

 

Quote

. I think he knows how to be involved with something just enough so that when/if it all turns to shit, he’s able to put someone into position to be the Fall Guy for it, and he gets away Scott free

He's a rich white guy in America. He was always getting away scott free. I don't think he's dumb, I just don't think he ever had the capacity to collude with Russia, cover it up, and win the election. Russia clearly wanted him in, and hacked the DNC e-mails etc. but I have always thought that was them on their own. Its also still ignoring the elephant in the room that Trump won the swing states in middle America because a lot of voters couldn't stomach Clinton (and that's not a judgement on her from me)

  • Paid Members
Posted

Someone on Twitter compared this whole mess to the Italian left's failure to effectively combat Berlusconi, who's probably the closest analogue to Trump in modern politics - they kept hoping for some legal or procedural process to allow them to take Berlusconi down, rather than focusing their efforts on strengthening their own case. 

You don't get into the position of a Trump or a Berlusconi without being a master of plausible deniability, having enough fall guys around you, and knowing how to get away with everything but actually breaking the law; enough proxies and go-betweens that you don't get your own hands dirty, enough shell companies handling the dirty money that no one can conclusively tie it to your own accounts. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

It’s a dangerous path that I see people wandering down constantly, hand in hand with a bunch of grifters who definitely know better. “The President is a thickie, he’s a dead ringer to get caught easily, best to focus on buying votive candles of Robert Mueller rather than actually doing anything worthwhile”. Wasn’t that different under W Bush, tbh.

EDIT — HAHAHA. Stay Frosty.

Posted

Didn't Mueller shut down Buzzfeed by misquoting him? I doubt he would stay silent if Barr was missing out huge swathes of details in his report. There's some suggestion congress will request he appear in front of them and that he's willing, but I don't see that happening.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 minute ago, Factotum said:

Didn't Mueller shut down Buzzfeed by misquoting him? I doubt he would stay silent if Barr was missing out huge swathes of details in his report. There's some suggestion congress will request he appear in front of them and that he's willing, but I don't see that happening.

 

Who could possibly know? Constantly being told that he's a chain of command kinda bloke, so he's likely to leave it up to Barr, who has done his job in terms of characterising the report. It's an omission thing, rather than a straight up lie, and almost all parties have been acting like children since Friday morning.

Posted

I disagree with that. I think its a grasp of straws from a lot of people who were utterly desperate for this to nail Trump. The fact is he definitely says in there that there is no more indictments to be made. Barr also did note that it didn't exonerate the President, but it didn't prove anything. I have no doubt there maybe has been an obstruction of justice somewhere, but I think people need to move on from the report and concentrate on taking Trump on in 2020.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...