It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Do you think once Trump is no longer the president, Twitter will ban him?

Supposedly, his Twitter privilege against being banned vanishes the second he leaves office.

If President Trump loses the election, he will also have to say goodbye to a Twitter privilege that lets world leaders keep up tweets with certain offensive or misleading content, according to a report.

Trump, as president, has benefited from the Twitter policy that flags content that violates the platform’s rules — but does not outright force their deletion, as is the case with ordinary users, Bloomberg reported.

But if Biden wins the election, come January, Trump will fall into the former world leader category, losing the special treatment, the report said.

Since election night, eight of Trump’s tweets have been flagged by the social media giant.

In one such tweet, the president accused his political opponents of trying to “STEAL the Election.” Twitter said that tweet violated their civic integrity policy.

The point of the world leaders policy, according to Bloomberg, is to diminish the spread of the rule-breaking content. Tweets flagged by Twitter can be viewed, but not liked or retweeted without a comment.

A Twitter spokesman explained to Bloomberg in a statement why flagged tweets from world leaders remain accessible on the platform.

“A critical function of our service is providing a place where people can openly and publicly respond to their leaders and hold them accountable,” the spokesman said.

“With this in mind, there are certain cases where it may be in the public’s interest to have access to certain tweets, even if they would otherwise be in violation of our rules.”

Edited by Astro Hollywood

4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Do you think once Trump is no longer the president, Twitter will ban him?

Bit on it here 

They should do what we did in our group chat when Fulham beat Brentford. On the stroke of the final whistle, we removed him from the group before he had a chance to say anything.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Just wondering though, do the members of the Electoral College legally have to vote for who wins the state? I suppose what I'm asking is, is there any chance of any of them going into business for themselves and using votes intended for Biden for Trump(or vice versa, I just thought Trumps supporters tend to be the more hardcore supporters)?

It varies from state to state. In some they can do what they like. In some they can vote the "wrong" way but will get fined for doing so. In some, if they vote the wrong way their vote is not counted and they get replaced by someone else.

Remember that the public on Tuesday weren't actually voting for Trump or Biden. They were choosing between two sets of people to represent their state in the Electoral College: one proposed by Biden and one by Trump. The people in that group are party loyalists so it's incredibly rare any of them vote the "wrong" way. 

The loophole some people are worried about is that it's technically up to each state how to choose their electoral college members and there's no constitutional requirement to even have an election. That's sparked a theory that in states where Biden won but the state government is Republican, they might just say "nah, forget the election, we're sending a bunch of Republicans."  The problem with that, aside from the whole sparking a civil war thing, is that it's very unclear that a state can change its system retrospectively. 

• Paid Members

Media rumours have started that Putin is resigning next year as well, although the Kremlin has issued a denial. What a crazy year it's been. 

I don't see how any of this is a surprise to be honest. One of the main things that Trump said in the run up to the previous election was that he was wanting to look at ways to rewrite the Constitution because it was a very bad document!

He's spent the last few years openly whipping his base into a violent fervour.

I just get the impression that this madness is just the light entrée for the next 3 months of absolute mayhem and then whatever mayhem ensues on Biden's eventual inauguration.

• Paid Members

If you're following the results coming in from the uncalled states, this is a lovely live dataset of how the most recent sets of votes are breaking down and what split would be needed for one candidate to overtake the other:

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html

(Short version: Trump's going to win Alaska and North Carolina; Biden's going to win Georgia, Nevada and Pennsylvania; Arizona is a toss-up.)

17 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Let the politicians try and win their vote, these people are entrenched and won’t change their mind so fuck them, I want nothing to do with them and likewise people don’t want anything to do with me for my political views.

Your views on live chat in the MMA section is far more abhorrent than anything you've said politically, to be fair.

• Paid Members

If Biden does get Georgia, Nevada & Pennsylvania then it's very much over, not a landslide, but definitely a done deal.