Royal Rumble 2017 Discussion [Stats Edition]

tiger_rick

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The proposed Mania card looks decent. Reigns/Taker, Lesnar/Goldberg, HHH/Rollins, Wyatt/Orton and Cena/Joe as the big matches, I'm guessing. Wanted Cena/Taker like a lot of people but maybe they're saving that

Is this being reported? I really hope so, I can't wait for Joe to get stuck into some feuds with Cena and Styles. The Cena feud would be so easy to build given how they both started out- "I stood and watching you - the chosen one - get propelled to the top whilst I was forgotten about, busting my ass in high school gyms" etc etc. And my god, I bet they could really tear the house down as well. Joe costing Cena the title at Elimination Chamber sounds fantastic.

The Sister Abigail tease from Luke Harper was excellent, surely they've got to pay that one off somewhere.

Wasn't it just? Really liked that whole angle during the Rumble. Harper was excellent and the crowd were really going for it. I hope they don't cast him aside like they did after the first Wyatt Family split.

This was the first wrestling I watched with other humans in ages, and one of the group actually said "if Reigns wins I'm done with WWE." He'd earlier announced that he didn't care what happened in the rest of the Rumble, it had already become an unmitigated success the moment Tye Dillinger was #10.

• Paid Members

I'm still not sure which storyline scenario we're meant to assume happened:

Stephanie: "Well, that's 29 spots filled. Who's getting the last one?"

Shane: "Oh, let's just leave it open. We'll just see who fancies it on the night. And give them number 30."

or:

Top babyface Roman: "I want my title shot."

Stephanie: "That's OK. But you're responsible for whether you win."

Roman: "OK, except I want Jericho not to interfere."

Foley: "We'll ban him from ringside. Then it's all on you."

Roman: "No, he might run-in. I want him in a cage above the ring."

Stephanie: "OK, OK. But then you really have no excuses if you fail."

Roman: "That's good for me. Oh, also, can it be no countout in case Owens runs away."

Foley: "Yeah, yeah. If it'll make you happy."

Roman: "And no DQ too. I don't want a cheap finish."

Stephanie: "Christ, OK then. FFS. But if you don't win, that really is that."

Roman: "No problem. With those stips in place, I'm absolutely sure to win. Totally confident of it. No chance I can lose."

Foley: "Cool. I'll get the paperwork drawn up."

Roman: "Ooh, one more thing."

Stephanie: "What now?"

Roman: "Can I be in the Rumble as well, just in case."

• Paid Members

I think people are being a bit harsh on the show. While not the best Rumble they've ever done, it was a decent watch.

The Rumble match itself was hurt by them going star heavy at the end to protect Goldberg and Undertaker. There was a definite middle period where it was very uneventful - after Super Strowman got eliminated. The trouble is they built this up as the most star studded Rumble ever and for a big chunk of it there were very few of those in the ring, so it hurt it a little. Still, come Lesnar kicking arse, everything picked up and it was a brilliantly done finale, I thought. Goldberg smashing Lesnar again in no time did the job, even if his eventual elimination was a bit anti climactic.

The Reigns performance and booking was brilliant. Completely fooled everyone, I thought. I have no interest in Cena v Orton right now, but it will be interesting to see how they work the Bray story into this. Maybe they do a three way or even four way with AJ and Bray.

Title match was as expected, very good. I was against Styles losing going in, but seeing Cena with the belt again makes the world seem a little bit better.

• Paid Members

Genuinely strugging to think of a better Rumble PPV top to bottom. Great setting in the dome and a brilliant crowd for a non-WM.

Agree the Rumble match had a bit of a lull but otherwise, it was really well booked, had some great spots and a great last 10 minutes. The winner being Reigns/Wyatt/Orton might have been a bit of an anti-climax though.

The match quality was good throughout but Cena/AJ was just tremendous. Match of the year already.

There is no way Reigns is a babyface. They're just shitting with people.

• Paid Members

Genuinely strugging to think of a better Rumble PPV top to bottom.

2003 maybe? I watched that again recently and my god it's good. The Rumble match itself is fantastic- full of sub-plots and chance meetings that kept you interested. You also had Brock beat Big Show in the opener and, if you can stomach his matches, arguably the best match from the Angle/Benoit series. Oh and not forgetting the absolute car crash that was Triple H VS Scott Steiner.

Meltzer says its Goldberg vs Kevin Owens at Fast Lane. Owens is going to get squashed. No way Goldberg's taking his bullshit.

Too fucking right he's going to get squashed. He is an absolute loser, nobody can buy him as a credible threat seeing as he's been booked as a right pussy for the past year. Although I'm calling a bullshit finish- Brock run-in so he can get some much-needed heat back.

This was the first wrestling I watched with other humans in ages, and one of the group actually said "if Reigns wins I'm done with WWE." He'd earlier announced that he didn't care what happened in the rest of the Rumble, it had already become an unmitigated success the moment Tye Dillinger was #10.

He sounds great....

• Paid Members

The title should be up for grabs in the Taker/Reigns or Lesnar/Goldberg match. The Universal title badly needs a star to carry it for a while to give it some prestige. Right now, it's an after thought and sticking it in a midcard bout between Owens/Jericho isn't on. I know the two big matches don't need it, but that red belt does.

Archived