Royal Rumble 2017 Discussion [Stats Edition]

tiger_rick

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I dont think there was a time in recent history than Undertaker looked more like an old drag queen than he did last night. To much eye makeup and a bad dye job will do that to you. Must say, if there's one match I dont want to see ever its Reigns vs the Undertaker. Shortly followed by Randy Orton doing anything of note.

In fairness, I'm disappointed if a show doesnt end with Goldberg murdering everyone. That should have been how it went. There should have been bodies left lying until now. Literally should have picked up the Rumble on Raw tonight with people still waking up. "Goldberg has stopped killing people now, I suppose the Rumble can continue."

I thought everything else was ok but the Cena/Styles match was great. They overdone the finishers as is the standard in WWE main events now but the little submission sequence in the middle was really good.

Don't mind Reigns vs Undertaker at all because it will have a clear heel and face dynamic.

• Paid Members

Following up a few points:

The "everyone lies around during the next guy's entrance" isn't that unusual given the emphasis and attention is on the ring music, but you don't normally have a six mile walk to the ring.

The Jericho deal worked for me because it made you think they were doing the Santino deal where he pops back in at the end for the sneaky win, which would have made a lot of sense with Owens retaining.

The shaky cam, AFAIK, is partly because they think it makes the moves feel more impactful for viewers and partly because when they switched to HD they worried people would see the moves didn't connect with full force, so if the screen is shaking you don't see the fine detail.

With the weapons, my kayfabe explanation is that even though there's no DQ, they check you for weapons at the entranceway and Gallagher got past it because he just acted like the umbrella is just part of his entrance.

Orton winning it was pretty random but thank god it wasn't Reigns. What an absolutely trollworthy moment. The Rumble was alright but the most memorable. Disappointed in the lack of surprises. Highlights were Goldberg eliminating Lesnar quickly and the Goldberg and Taker staredown. Will say that as much as I love Goldberg, he looked a bit sloppy in there. Hopefully there's a few bells and whistles when he faces Brock at Mania.

Cena/Styles was pretty darn great again and Owens/Reigns was fun, though I don't know how they're getting the title on Reigns if he still has Strowman to deal with.

The proposed Mania card looks decent. Reigns/Taker, Lesnar/Goldberg, HHH/Rollins, Wyatt/Orton and Cena/Joe as the big matches, I'm guessing. Wanted Cena/Taker like a lot of people but maybe they're saving that

If by troll move you mean putting heat on him to face perhaps the biggest babyface they have at Wrestlemania then yeah, troll move.  The reactions for that match will be great, although from the looks of last night it will, along with Lesnar/Goldberg, need some kind of gimmick or smoke and mirrors to stop it from bombing.

• Paid Members

With the weapons, my kayfabe explanation is that even though there's no DQ, they check you for weapons at the entranceway and Gallagher got past it because he just acted like the umbrella is just part of his entrance.

That works for me - good job.

I've always been critical in past years when folk have said Taker needs to pack it in, but I think now is probably time. I'd really cement Reigns as a heel and have him plough through Taker in about 3 minutes at Mania.

Love the sheer anger at the thought of Cena/Orton at Mania,I'm sure it will be teased but we all know it's not going that way.

I imagine at Mania we'll get...

WWE Title - Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton

Universal Title - Roman Reigns vs The Undertaker

Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar

Seth Rollins vs HHH

US Title Chris Jericho vs Kevin Owens

Raw Women's Title - Charlotte vs Bayley

Andre Battle Royal - Strowman wins

Not sure where that leaves Cena/AJ, maybe one last match in a "loser leaves Smackdown" match, Think Cena is taking another long sabbatical after Mania anyway so it could tie in with that, would get Cena on Raw aswell for the inevitable showdown with Reigns next year.

Archived