Royal Rumble 2017 Discussion [Stats Edition]

tiger_rick

Orton, fucking Orton, really.

That Rumble lost a ton of momentum for me when Strowman went out, that guy is a star. Yet again WWE bogged down by the fact they are over reliant on part timers who are a bump away from being crippled and so can't come in before number 25, making the whole thing stupidly top heavy. I genuinely worry for Goldberg, boy is he charismatic, but the way he is taking bumps and even htitting the ropes, he looks like he has no strength in his legs.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Thought it was a great show. Cena and Styles had another amazing match and the Rumble match, whilst not as good as last year, was still better than the previous two years, where you came out of it completely dejected. I loved Tye coming out. Fair play to them for placating everyone and doing it.

I'm fine with the Orton win. Smackdown needs some new main eventers and this is the perfect way to move Randy and Bray up the card. Goldberg having Lesnar's number was awesome too, as was Roman's trolling entrance. If this results in him fully turning heel I might start watching regularly again.

Fucking hell though. Having not seen him in ages, I had assumed Strowman must've improved, but on at least two occasions he looked completely lost as to what he was doing. Once with the Big Show and then again with Dean Ambrose. He looked just as green in there this year as he did last year when he caused Brock to have a tantrum and clobber him.

Compared to Strowman, Corbin looked the far better of the two, which is saying something.

I love the idea of Vince getting to the arena on the day and hitting the roof about how long the entrance way was.

"It'll take them forever to get to the fucking ring!"

"Vince, calm down. We'll change it from every 90 seconds to every two minutes."

"What's about the fat ones!? That still won't be long enough!"

"Don't worry. I know a bloke who owns a golf cart. We'll use some camera magic. No-one will notice."

IMG_9283_zps7mgclohr.jpg

IMG_9281_zps0dsffvnn.jpg

IMG_9282_zpsvxpnobze.jpg

I certainly enjoyed that, every match delivered - especially AJ and Cena who were magic

There weren't many true 'surprises' but enjoyed the likes of Gallagher, Henry, Ellsworth and Enzo in there. I'd have had the Ellsworth spot while Lesnar was out though. Dillinger was fun too, they would have just been big meanies if they didn't give us that

Nice to be a certified member of the IWC, swearing my tits off at Roman bastard Reigns for not being called Samoa Joe, but in terms of being happy with the result it was cleverly done. They're surely finally having Reigns heel it up for the Taker match, surely

I really struggle with their thinking of giving Randy Orton a Royal Rumble win in 2017. He's probably as fresh as hes been for 5 years, granted, but it really doesnt say much about the guy. His thing with Bray is mildly interesting but it cant be that interesting if it needs this thrown in too. The only thing I can think of is that it had to go to a SmackDown guy and that left you with him, Bray, Ziggler, Ambrose, Miz or Corbin. But surely the fact that they had to bring down the guy that they want everyone to love, to get booed and make sure Orton didnt get the Royal Rumble match booed out of the building for the third year running is a pretty obvious sign that they need to look at things slightly differently. As others have said, Strowman looks a star and he could be turned into their modern day mega heel but he doesnt get to rub shoulders with any of the actual stars who turned up for the last 10 minutes. Corbin has looked great lately, although I wouldnt argue that hes in line for a Rumble win just yet. They just refuse to create their own stars now and its going to start hurting them massively. Their only three actual draws in this match couldnt enter the ring before the home straight in fear of blowing up and Taker looks so ridiculous that he cant possibly be around after this years Mania. The worst thing is, their probably putting the title on Goldberg and having another match with Lesnar so nobody will really benefit anyway in the long run.

• Paid Members

On Jericho it looked like he may have hurt his leg when that Mojo dick head charged him in the corner.

I noticed him grabbing his ankle after Brock chucked him about. Speaking of bad bumps, I don't think anyone has mentioned Ellsworth's horrific elimination yet (well worth it then). No clever way to slow down or break his fall, just dumped from about 8ft straight down like a stone onto his side/hip. Absolutely brutal.

Well I thought the whole show was excellent. The whole weekend infact. Best Rumble in ages.

Special mention to Nia Jaxs' demolition job of Sasha on the pre-show. Banks made her look fantastic.

I don't know why people complain about winners of the Rumble in this day and age of two belts, with PPV's including Chamber before Mania. They can still set up any match they want via a title change at one of those so it's not like Orton Vs Cena is a lock. I wouldn't even mind that now because both their characters have changed since the never ending feud of years ago.

I would be very interested in Orton Vs Harper in a carnage fest though. Keep Orton heel with Bray.

I'm still not sure which storyline scenario we're meant to assume happened:

Stephanie: "Well, that's 29 spots filled. Who's getting the last one?"

Shane: "Oh, let's just leave it open. We'll just see who fancies it on the night. And give them number 30."

or:

Top babyface Roman: "I want my title shot."

Stephanie: "That's OK. But you're responsible for whether you win."

Roman: "OK, except I want Jericho not to interfere."

Foley: "We'll ban him from ringside. Then it's all on you."

Roman: "No, he might run-in. I want him in a cage above the ring."

Stephanie: "OK, OK. But then you really have no excuses if you fail."

Roman: "That's good for me. Oh, also, can it be no countout in case Owens runs away."

Foley: "Yeah, yeah. If it'll make you happy."

Roman: "And no DQ too. I don't want a cheap finish."

Stephanie: "Christ, OK then. FFS. But if you don't win, that really is that."

Roman: "No problem. With those stips in place, I'm absolutely sure to win. Totally confident of it. No chance I can lose."

Foley: "Cool. I'll get the paperwork drawn up."

Roman: "Ooh, one more thing."

Stephanie: "What now?"

Roman: "Can I be in the Rumble as well, just in case."

The other questionable thing to go along with this is the fact that he lost his Universal Title match and still got to be in the Rumble. However, AJ Styles lost his championship but didn't get to enter.

Archived