Royal Rumble 2017 Discussion [Stats Edition]

tiger_rick

Either they will go with Cena vs Styles at Mania for the very last time (maybe a 2 out of 3 falls) in a non-title match or Cena will go against Corbin (hopefully putting him over in the process). 

I thought the Rumble was terrible though, how can anybody get excited when you have Randy Orton & Reigns as two of the last three in the rumble? If Ortons odds of 1/25 wasn't known you could have easily of thought Goldberg was meant to win it and slipped on his arse out of the ring, vince in a panic sends someone else in who can spear and Roman gets thrown out at number 30. Instead Goldberg left with a whimper. I did like how he took out Brock again though, brilliantly done. Also Reigns selling for Owens with the superman brass knuckle punch was stunning. The rest of that title match was a mess though.

Styles vs Cena was good as you would expect. 

I wasn't sure if Gallagher was announced to enter the Rumble anywhere, but his name was on the promo writing things during the show where they zoomed into the big letters of the Rumble Entrants which gave it away for me. 

Disappointed though overall, the biggest rumble in years with big names and can't help but feel they wasted it with Orton, underwhelming. 

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I don't get why they'd want to try and get a pop for Orton winning the Rumble when he's a heel at the moment. Reigns was sent out at 30 to set up the stuff with Taker. Does Orton have to go for the Smackdown title? Why can't he stroll out on Raw and say he's going after Owens so he can have one belt and Bray can have the other? I've not watched Raw yet, and am just speculating.

• Paid Members

Technically he's a heel but they're clearly re-hashing the Daniel Bryan angle and you know the end game is Orton turning on Wyatt- so really they want the crowd behind him. WWE want the crowd to want Orton to turn on Bray.

I would have preferred Bray and Orton to be the last two and for Bray to just walk out leaving Orton to win, I know the pop would probably not happen but would make sense in the grand scheme of things where Orton has used the Wyatt Family to win gold, Wyatt put his trust in Orton and betrayed him, Wyatt could also say he would have won the rumble but sacrificed himself etc. But then WWE don't get that highlight reel of the last two in the Rumble and someone properly being eliminated. 

It was paced very well, they told stories along tne way and had lots of little moments that worked. I've been rewatching
the Rumbles and noticed all the most recent Rumbles and they were so uneventful. The last one I enjoyed story and pace wise was the 40 man.

Lots worked for me.
10 at 10
Ambrose and Ellsworth outside the ring
Strowman being a hoss.
Corbin eliminating Strowman
Brock's destruction
The way Goldberg handled Brock...again!
The gong. The Taker/Goldberg face off.
Taker taking out Goldberg
the Super Troll moment of Reigns at 30, building to a lacklustre victory of his..only for ORTON of all people to
sneak the win.
Bray or Jericho would have worked better, but complaining of Rumble's predictability and then moaning of having
someone you wouldn't have expected to win to win is just something I'll never understand.
Of all the people towards the end I wouldn't have thought Orton. Corbin, Miz etc all you could see winning for some
reason or another. There's so many outcomes and so many opportunities that come from it.

Can't understand the comments of being top heavy. Isn't that how events work? You have a start, a mid card, and a main?
They told the story like that over the course of the Rumble. Did people want to see Goldberg being the iron man of the Rumble?
Should they have wasted some of the Lesnar/Goldberg/Taker bits in the middle?

My gripes with the Rumble would have been the stupidly long entrance runway, the shaky camera and the fact they like
to cut away to crowd reactions when they should perhaps focus on, I don't know..the wrestlers and fallout of the spots themselves.

There was so much happening that surprise or debuts wouldn't have worked. They wouldn't have added anything to it.

It would have been better if during certain paths of destruction the wrestlers rolled out the ring or something. Looked a bit
awkward when Lesnar was waiting for Goldberg and everyone was laying round. At the same time, the plan is to outlast your opponents - piping up
ahead of a Lesnar/Goldberg face off isn't going to do you any favours. Maybe I give them too much credit.

I wish everyone enjoyed wrestling like I did..

• Paid Members

This was one of my favourite parts of the match, and fairly unexpected for me. I've been really enjoying Corbin since he got called up, and I'd love to see him get a run as the top heel on Smackdown this year, maybe even a run with the belt possibly. Hopefully this is a sign they actually have plans for him.

This was one of my favourite parts of the match, and fairly unexpected for me. I've been really enjoying Corbin since he got called up, and I'd love to see him get a run as the top heel on Smackdown this year, maybe even a run with the belt possibly. Hopefully this is a sign they actually have plans for him.

He's come leaps and bounds over on Smackdown in recent months. Didn't think too much of him initially but he's definitely growing in his role well. One of the reasons why I could have seen him as a winner.

He's come leaps and bounds over on Smackdown in recent months. Didn't think too much of him initially but he's definitely growing in his role well. One of the reasons why I could have seen him as a winner.

Corbin has been so much better since he started wearing the T-shirt to cover his face.

One extra little thing that struck me watching it, I reckon Tye Dillinger and Sami Zayn would make a decent tag team, this is a big punt but just watching the fire they showed on Strowman got my gears working a bit, Zayn basically does a whole fuck ton of nothing on a weekly basis, he is used to get a good match out of people but ultimately lose when it comes to crunch time.

Am I right in thinking they are both Canadian, not sure why that helps but it does because WWE. Get them paired up as an underdog team who show good fire, the crowd would surely get behind them, both being as likeable as they are in singles.

Corbin has been so much better since he started wearing the T-shirt to cover his face.

That Wolf T-Shirt he wears is brilliant, I want it, not sure if it's official merch though as I'm sure it wasn't on WWE Shop when I checked.

• Paid Members

Having thought it over, I feel like their goal of elevating the Orton vs. Bray match at Wrestlemania could've been just as easily achieved by having Bray win the Rumble instead of Randy. In retrospect, I think I would've preferred that. At least Bray would have been someone new. And then giving him the Rumble win could've hopefully freshened up his act a bit.

I think Bryan Alvarez was definitely on to something on Observer Radio though. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Rumble win and a high profile Wrestlemania match was a make-good to Randy for allowing Brock to smash his head to bits at Summerslam.

Really enjoyed the show.

Reigns v Owens was tremendous, way better than expected. Owens is much better when he is portrayed to be a fighter rather than a good and he took withstood some brutal punishment. Reigns continued to show that he can put on good matches with anyone. I think he could get a decent match out of Strowman.

Cena v AJ was the best of their three matches. AJ really has had one of the best debut years I can remember. If wrestling was a meritocracy he would be headlining but it's not and he isn't. We all knew Cena was winning and to be honest he really deserves it after being sidelined from the main event picture for the past few years whilst still putting on great undercard matches with the whole roster. I don't think he will ever get to number one but Cena has to at least now be in the conversation now for GOAT.

I thought the Rumble was the best out of all the recent ones. It was surprising just how many big lads are actually on the roster and this really showcased that. There were lots of cool interactions that the last few have lacked especially Strowman/Corbin, Goldberg/Taker and Bray/Harper. I wasn't in the camp that was expecting a surprise (I think they were right with Joe/Nakamura) but I will that Reigns coming out at 30 completely killed my interest in the match dead. I just couldn't care what happened after that and was underwhelmed by the interesting winner as a result. Still a fantastic PPV overall though and well worth my money.

Interesting to see what they do with Orton at Mania. There is a lot of potential matches they could do coming out of this, could be a whole load of matches on this show.

• Paid Members

That Wolf T-Shirt he wears is brilliant, I want it, not sure if it's official merch though as I'm sure it wasn't on WWE Shop when I checked.

You can get them at most markets. They do bomber jackets with them on too.

Archived