Royal Rumble 2017 Discussion [Stats Edition]

tiger_rick

If Goldberg is going to win the title off Owens at Fastlane, then face Lesnar for the title at Mania, then where does that leave Balor? Surly he should get a shot at the title he never properly lost?

They should go all UFC and give him an interim title.

They could give Balor one of the kids replica belts. Probably end up being more prestigious than the actual red belt.

On the topic of the Rumble, I am in agreement with most of what people have said. Reigns/Owens and AJ/Cena were very good matches. The rumble itself wasn't bad, but Orton winning it left the show with a flat ending. I have little to no interest in Orton/Wyatt as the title match at Mania (which is what WWE seem to be moving towards).

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I see the writing of Seth Rollins' character goes from strength to strength. Looks a complete dickhead yet again. How many times has a babyface been banned from the building and actually adhered to the stipulation?! He's the worst babyface ever. Honestly, I'm not even sure there's a way to salvage him or this storyline at this point. They'll probably have him Pedigree Steph, then Triple H will return and beat the shit out of him, winning clean.

I nearly spat out my bourbon when Reigns' music hit there at number 30.  An unbelievably cynical move to get Orton's win cheered, but fuck me if it didn't work.

I'm not convinced by those saying that this means Reigns is a heel.  You don't need to be a heel to face Taker at Mania, it's often been face v streak.  I'm afraid they're not letting this whole Roman Empire thing go, just as they didn't let the whole Cena thing go.  And it sucks at Reigns is a hard working lad who deserves success but has been utterly misbooked and is now forever tarnished.  I was just starting to think the nerds might finally have started to get bored of booing him, now this.  I swear he looks about ready to cry at times, who can blame him.

I'll admit I was expecting Kurt Angle at number 30, so I'm just grumpy as I now realise they probably have no intention of having him wrestle again.

So...

Goldberg beats Owens, leading to Goldberg-Lesnar at WM for the title.

Bray wins in the Chamber leading to Bray v Orton.

Cena gets Samoa Joe at WM?  A 3-way with Styles as well?

I'm not sure where Styles fits in but otherwise Mania looks pretty good on paper.  I'm certainly fascinated to see how long Lesnar can throw Goldberg around for; it's either going to be a fantastic spectacle or a horrific car crash - either way it will entertain.

• Paid Members

This is the first non-Mania PPV I've watched in whole (let alone live!) in at least 10 years, and I think I agree with dAz that it probably helped my enjoyment of the show.  There was nothing on there I didn't like. 

i'll echo that, i've been skim watching the WWE for months through the youtube highlight channels so last night was probably the first show i've seen since last year's Mania, i pretty much enjoyed the whole thing.

• Paid Members

I was surprised when I came into this thread tonight with the amount of negativity in the initial page or two, but then again the same thing happened after Survivor Series, when people are tired I guess they are much more likely to look at things as half empty rather than half full, but I thought that was one of the best Rumble shows in years.

The women's stuff doesn't particularly interest me, but Charlotte is head and shoulders above everybody else on the roster in the ring, and in looking like a star. This was the weakest part of the show for me though.

I thought the Universal title match was pretty damn good and had a surprise ending. I didn't think Strowman would interfere, I was going down the line of Jericho doing what he did with the knucks causing either Reigns or Owens to get the win. Sets up Reigns and Strowman for Fast Lane, with Strowman maybe going over as a result of Undertaker interference.

The Crusierweight match was pretty good too, their best showing on PPV so far for the division. Perfect timing to get the belt on Neville and keep it there long term.

The stadium didn't look as good as I was hoping it might and as others have said that may have came from an attempt to not show darkened out seats. While I'm on the negative part of my post, the shaky camera and constant crowd shots is extremely annoying. I was watching with other people and couldn't catch all the commentary, but the bits I did catch were dreadful. Lawler, Ranallo, JBL and Otunga are terrible. Thank god for Graves and Cole.

Cena and AJ had a blinder. I really liked this match, both guys really had a storming night and I have no issues with the winner. For the story they are trying to tell, it had the perfect end result.

I didn't think the Rumble was nearly as bad as others have tried to say. Yes it was much heavier towards the end and some tweaks could have been made but I thought it was fun. I loved Brock and Goldberg wrecking shop, as well as Corbin and Strowman's showings. Reigns had a lot of fire when he came out and it sets his match with Taker up perfectly, and allowed the Orton win to get cheered. There may have been a lack of surprises, but for where they want to go they booked the important bits perfectly.

Elimination Chamber:

Styles/Cena/Bray/Harper/Ziggler/Corbin -(too many heels?)

- Bray wins (I'm hoping via Samoa Joe interference though I thought he could have debuted at the Rumble so who knows)

Fast Lane:

Goldberg murderises Owens (who blames Jericho), Reigns loses to Strowman via Taker hijinks.

WrestleMania:

Universal Title - Goldberg v Brock

Reigns v Taker

WWE Title - Bray v Randy

U.S Title - Owens v Jericho

Rollins v HHH

Big Show v Shaq

Raw tag titles - Gallows and Anderson v Enzo&Cass

Raw women's title - Charlotte v Bayley

Smackdown tag titles - American Alpha v ???

Smackdown's women's title - ???

I don't know where it leaves Smackdown's crew. Cena, AJ, Ambrose, Miz, Harper, Ziggler, and then the Raw lot of Strowman, Cesaro, Rusev, Zayn, Sheamus and The New Day will all have prominent spots.

I think I'd have went with Joe winning the Rumble, beating Cena at Mania and then Cena could have came back to vanquish the monster down the line for title 17. The other issue I think they'll have is I still don't see that they want to turn Roman, it just worked last night to stop people shitting on the winner, so pitting him against Taker makes little sense to me unless you want to intensify the boos even more. But they have sowed the seeds for this heel turn a few times and they have never went forward with it so I don't see it happening now.

• Paid Members

Cena gets Samoa Joe at WM?  A 3-way with Styles as well?

If you squint, you can pretend Cena is bald and therefore Christopher Daniels, and voila you have your old TNA back! :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, I would LOVE to see a three-way between them.

Nobody interfered and unfairly eliminated anyone in this Rumble did they? Must be the first in a long time. Everyone who got eliminated just slinked away

Thought the Reigns v Owens and Cena v Styles matches were good.

The Rumble itself was ok but I don't see why Orton won. He's had a good run for almost a decade and a half so why not elevate a younger wrestler?

Couldn't quite work out whether Reigns was turning heel either. The McMahons are so stubborn, I'm not entirely convinced that Reigns will turn after all.

• Paid Members

Loved Cena vs Styles, and really enjoyed the Rumble match too. Loved that they revealed Sami Zayn was #8 ahead of time. Braun came out at #7 and killed people then Sami's music hit and I had a great "ohhh yeah!" reaction.

The very end of the Rumble - Reigns vs Orton and Wyatt - was Survivor Series revisited wasn't it? Nice callback.

• Paid Members

How long have the WWE been doing that thing of cutting to an audience members reaction so quickly after a near fall or big spot? It's fucking terrible.

For way too fucking long unfortunately. It along with the shaky camera work are two production things that really take away from the show.

Archived