Royal Rumble 2017 Discussion [Stats Edition]

tiger_rick

WWE title match was brilliant, can't say I'm enamoured with the Rumble match or the winner though - literally no combination of Orton + a champion intrigues me right now.

I guess Bray will be winning the Universal belt at Fast Lane.

Agree with the shout about the lighting, stupid to do such a big venue and not show it off, maybe there were loads of gaps of seats that didn't look good on telly.

I'm not one to talk about being in shape but Takers tits were really noticeable weren't they?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

When Reigns came out as number 30 I had this horrible feeling that the Orton "leak" was a work for fear of the reaction to another Reigns win. I was relieved that Orton won, but also a little concerned because at the moment it either means Bray's picking up the bet somewhere, or they're blowing the Wyatt storyline off somewhere between now and Mania and we're possibly getting Orton Vs Cena again. It was nice to see Mizark back. Strowman looked like a beast. Corbin was alright but could have been better. Handsome Rusev wasn't looking great. The Harper/Bray thing was unexpected.

I'm pretty good with the WWE when I watch these days I go with the flow take it for what it is. I tend not to watch week to week but catch the ppvs and try not to let the stuff I hate get to me but fuck me that rumble was terrible! I've never come out feeling so deflated and not because Randy won.

The whole rumble was a shambles. The first half of it was spent with the majority of the wrestlers lying on the floor waiting for the next opponent to come down and hit his moves and then join the lying on the floor or the one knee brigade looking down the isle waiting for the next fighter. There was no flow at all. Who booked it like this? Everyone should be fighting within them selves but instead they spent most the time lying on the floor, it looked terrible and was so boring.

Then we have Chris Jericho is time in the rumble could have been hilarious if the commentators at least acknowledged it. The fact he kept been hit with big moves and been stuck out the ring was hillarious after the big show punch i genuinely thought he had been eliminated. But when he reappeared no mensipn from the commentators it was like he had been there the whole time. I suppose it was hard to make a big deal out since most of the rest of the rumble had spent the time lying on the floor too!

Having Undertaker,Lesner and Goldberg come out the last few was always going to happen but still felt shit.

Roman Reigns the only reason he was there except to troll the crowd was to obviously set up a match with Taker at Wrestlemania.

I don't often moan about the WWE but I love the royal rumble and this was the pits. So disappointed.

On the side note really enjoyed the rest of card except the crusierweight title match Rich Swann is such a bore glad the title is off him.

• Paid Members

Yeah there were no real spots or moments of comedy like in past Rumbles. It just Rumbled on.  I marked out for Goldberg.  How he and Brock can go 10+ mins I have no idea though.  

Taker was unpretty to say the least, especially in taking a spear, but I must admit I was rooting for him to set up the match with Cena. 

I think Strowman is an absolute star btw, glad they have not pulled the trigger on him too soon though. 

Jack Gallacher though was class in the comedy spot

Pretty poor rumble. As I didn't see the odds was sideswiped by Orton. Was also shocked by the Goldberg/Lesner part 2.I thought Cena/AJ was fantastic though. Last few years I have really changed my mind on Cena

• Paid Members

I haven't watched wrestling in years but randomly decided to watch the Rumble last night. A few questions & observations if you'll indulge me A lot of guys I haven't seen before, or seen in years. :-)

• Why is an umbrella allowed in ring to be used as a weapon? And isn't that another UK guys gimmick? (can't remember his name - he wrestles Osprey a lot and has one of those beards everyone else has)
  • Big Cass & Enzo were in a backstage sketch at the start of the show - what's up with Cass's haccent? His oafy bad acting reminds me of Jax from Sons of Anarchy.
  • Is Baron Corbyn Mike Rotundo's son repackaged? Did he used to be Bo Dallas? 
  • What's the appeal of the New Day? Are they just supposed to be a comedy act? Big E looks ridiculous. Short with bug eyes and a massive ass. He looks muscley & fat at the same time.
  • Why do the cameras bop up & down when someone is being hit? 
  • What happened to Jerichos pecs? Did he have a double mastectomy? They look like they've been removed.
  • Ortons music is so stupid. 
  • Why is undertaker still wrestling? He's a hobbling mess.  Surely he doesn't need the money?
  • Orton winning is shite. Hasn't he faced everyone 100 times already?

Thanks in advance.

• Paid Members

You know that when the clock reached 0, the final entrant was about to make his appearance, the crowd incensed as Roman Reigns makes his way out, Vinnie Mac and Big Ken were backstage like:

tumblr_m4anc34lFJ1qlgjuxo1_500.gif

I think Pitcos is right that it was a masterstroke- because my god it made the crowd WANT Orton to win so much, and as a result he got a huge pop at the end. The current booking of him has also helped, as the crowd are behind him these days. Imagine Orton winning it a year ago? "I'M CANCELLING MY SUBSCRIPTION!"

I was gutted Joe didn't make his debut here, but thinking about it there wasn't really space/a spot for him. If you're going to have him debut in the Rumble, you'd obviously have him destroy a few people and dominate in a similar vein to Rusev a few years ago. Strowman had that spot early and on then later you had Brock and Goldberg doing it. Perhaps he is sticking around in NXT for a bit longer after all.

One of the best things about the Rumble was Baron Corbin eliminating Strowman- what a feather in his cap that was. I loved the fact that they haven't tried to take the easy option with him by having him back down like every other heel around (which they did with Kevin Owens after a while) and he ran full steam into the Rumble and went straight for Strowman. He stood out more than anyone in the match for me. Tye Dillinger had a cracking reception and good outing, and to be honest after this and his Takeover reception/performance I reckon he could cut it on the main roster after all- rather than being just another Tyler Breeze as I initially thought he'd be.

The Luke Harper turn was done brilliantly, and he also got a great ovation for it. The discus lariet to Bray was so crisp. They really should test the waters with him now and see what they can get out of him- a quick pre-Mania feud with Orton & Bray to finish that up before giving him another path, presumably as a heel.

Brock and Goldberg both looked great and the latter eliminating the former so quickly was a fantastic move. Sets up their WrestleMania match even better, with Brock surely doubting himself for the first time going into it. Taker looked shit, really shit.

The only time I really thought 'Oh fuck off' was when Apollo Crews made his way to the ring. I'd have preferred a nostalgic Jim Duggan entry over this smiling, dull-as-fuck loser.

Confused as to where they go with Strowman now. I mean, after the title match you'd think Reigns/Strowman at WresleMania was the plan. Now it's probably Reigns/Taker. Does Reigns forget about what Strowman did, or do they just get that out of the way at Fastlane? Are we really getting bloody Orton VS Cena at Mania? Surely not, and we'll probably have Wyatt win the title in the chamber. So that must mean somebody will be costing Cena the title and set up a match at WrestleMania, because otherwise as it stands I'm at a loss for Cena at the grandaddy. But if so, who? Likewise with Styles, god knows who he's going to be up against.

Overall, not a great Rumble match but it sent the crowd home happier than 2015 & 2014, perhaps even 2016 too. It was ok. Hasn't particularly got me excited for Mania though. I haven't watched Cena/Styles yet, so I look forward to watching that later.

• Paid Members

I haven't watched wrestling in years but randomly decided to watch the Rumble last night. A few questions & observations if you'll indulge me A lot of guys I haven't seen before, or seen in years. :-)

• Why is an umbrella allowed in ring to be used as a weapon? And isn't that another UK guys gimmick? (can't remember his name - he wrestles Osprey a lot and has one of those beards everyone else has) Marty Scrull is who you are thinking of. And comedy spots for the "weapon", but RR rules are no DQ's
  • Big Cass & Enzo were in a backstage sketch at the start of the show - what's up with Cass's haccent? His oafy bad acting reminds me of Jax from Sons of Anarchy.That's their gimmick. New Jersey boys
  • Is Baron Corbyn Mike Rotundo's son repackaged? Did he used to be Bo Dallas? Nope, but can see they look a bit similar
  • What's the appeal of the New Day? Are they just supposed to be a comedy act? Big E looks ridiculous. Short with bug eyes and a massive ass. He looks muscley & fat at the same time. Yep, comedy tag team really
  • Why do the cameras bop up & down when someone is being hit? Realism 
  • What happened to Jerichos pecs? Did he have a double mastectomy? They look like they've been removed. Pec implants i believe
  • Ortons music is so stupid. 
  • Why is undertaker still wrestling? He's a hobbling mess.  Surely he doesn't need the money? we all wonder the same
  • Orton winning is shite. Hasn't he faced everyone 100 times already? Yep

Thanks in advance.

• Paid Members

Here you go, my comments in the standard 'reply blue':

• Why is an umbrella allowed in ring to be used as a weapon? And isn't that another UK guys gimmick? (can't remember his name - he wrestles Osprey a lot and has one of those beards everyone else has) Marty Scurll. But he's not in WWE so...fuck him I guess? There's no DQ in the Rumble, so you can get away with bringing anything in, like Tommy Dreamer used to. Why nobody bothers though, is a great mystery on the kayfabe scale.
  • Big Cass & Enzo were in a backstage sketch at the start of the show - what's up with Cass's haccent? His oafy bad acting reminds me of Jax from Sons of Anarchy. Easily the worst thing about Cass, his hokey delivery. Seems forced and I expect him to stutter at any moment.
  • Is Baron Corbyn Mike Rotundo's son repackaged? Did he used to be Bo Dallas? Yes, yes it is.
  • What's the appeal of the New Day? Are they just supposed to be a comedy act? Big E looks ridiculous. Short with bug eyes and a massive ass. He looks muscley & fat at the same time. Pretty much a comedy act as you say, one that has long passed their sell-by date and have missed the window of opportunity to split them up and make singles stars out of them (well, Big E)
  • Why do the cameras bop up & down when someone is being hit? 
  • What happened to Jerichos pecs? Did he have a double mastectomy? They look like they've been removed. They've been like that for years, everyone rips on him for them. They look very weird, same applies with Kofi Kingston.
  • Ortons music is so stupid. He normally has a pretty decent edited version of his old themes that blends into the Wyatt Family theme, but I guess winning the Rumble he couldn't really use that. I still like his theme though.
  • Why is undertaker still wrestling? He's a hobbling mess.  Surely he doesn't need the money? Course he doesn't, but WWE need him.
  • Orton winning is shite. Hasn't he faced everyone 100 times already? Probably, but it's all about building matches and anticipation, right? They've done a stellar job slow-building an exciting (if obvious) Orton/Wyatt pay-off match. If the Smackdown title match isn't going on last at Mania, and the big matches don't involve the titles, then might as well give the Rumble win to Orton to further develop the feud between him and Wyatt. It certainly has me intrigued.

Thanks in advance.

Took me so long to reply, that Nick got in there first :(

• Paid Members

Howard Finkel should always announce the Rumble because he always did it so well. Corey Graves should be kept away from doing colour at the Rumble, lest we end up with the ten hour Rumble of which he speaks "Contenders come out every 20 minutes".

• Paid Members

I think at one point, there was a 20 minute interval between entrants. It felt like it, anyway. In seriousness there a couple of instances where I reckon we had a few minutes- after Big Show's joined perhaps? Definitely after Goldberg made his way out, probably Taker too.

This is the first non-Mania PPV I've watched in whole (let alone live!) in at least 10 years, and I think I agree with dAz that it probably helped my enjoyment of the show.  There was nothing on there I didn't like.  My main reason for watching (other than I happened to have Monday off anyway and a free dodgy WWE Network login from a friend) was for Big Bill and that delivered for me.  Other random thoughts:

Charlotte/Bayley was alright, though I thought Charlotte looked head and shoulders above Bayley in terms of ability.  Haven't seen much of Bayley so maybe she was having an off night, but she seemed awfully clunky at times.  Charlotte is excellent.

Owens/Reigns was what it was.  Neither of them are particularly convincing to me.  Reigns has no fire at all when he's on the defence - he just lies around dead until he's ready for his big comeback.  No sense of fight until it's his turn to do moves.  Owens just doesn't feel at that level either - the whole thing felt very midcard,  I felt for Jericho - he seemed to be working his arse off with facial expressions up there and I don't think they showed a close up of him a single time during the match.  Strowman looked like a total beast here, he came out of this looking better than everyone else combined.

Cruiserweight title match was fun, though the crowd didn't really seem to care which made it hard for me to.  The video package beforehand was really good.  Very serious and believable interviews with the two.  Liked that a lot.

Cena/Styles was tremendous.  Only slight negative was Cena's usual ham acting and overselling (the "look at AJ/look at the top rope/look at AJ/look at the top rope" spot in particular was very cringey) but the match itself was great.  Styles made Cena look like superman here, every bump he took looked incredible.  Had no problem with Cena winning.  Have no idea of the backstory or likely storylines coming out of it but it makes sense to have a babyface with the belt if they're having to defend it in the Elimination Chamber.  Two big thumbs up on this one.

The Rumble itself was fun, but what the fuck was Jericho playing at?  He must have spent at least 30 minutes on the outside.  And it wasn't played up at all as him being smart/sneaky.  At one point the camera showed him literally lying down on the outside and I thought he was maybe injured, but then he kept popping in and out and I thought they were building to him appearing at the last minute and playing into the finish, but then he just ended up getting eliminated in a fairly standard fashion.  Outside of that I thought Strowman again looked awesome during his stint in there, though I thought the Big Show elimination came too quick/easy and Show just wandered off immediately.  I loved the whole Lesnar/Goldberg/Taker portion.  Goldberg having Lesnar's number again was great and the staredown between Goldberg/Taker was electric.  I don't mind Taker looking a bit older and slower, I don't doubt for a second he'll still pull a performance out when he needs to.  Thought the Reigns/Taker angle was really effective and should lead to a good Mania program with Reigns finally playing the heel by the looks of it.  Orton winning is fairly uninspiring when looked at in isolation, but they did such a good job of making me want to see Goldberg/Brock, Taker/Goldberg and Reigns/Taker during the match that I didn't hate Orton winning as much as I could have.  I have less than no interest in Orton/Cena though, so they need to switch something up there before Mania.

I doubt I'll watch anything else between now and Mania, but it definitely upped my interest.

Archived