Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

7 hours ago, The Dart said:

That's pretty much what he said, but the DOA vs. Los Boricuas match was also added as a last minute replacement for the Pillman match, so he was referring to both those matches, not just the minis match.   Obviously no one enjoyed the DOA/Boricuas match though.

Boricuas/DOA and the whole 1997/8 gang warfare stuff is one of my wrestling guilty pleasures. Looking back most of the matches sucked, but at the time I was interested in it. Good example of making the most from (mostly) limited talent.

Apart from the Truth Commission, who obviously sucked.

Why was Wrestlemania VI held in Canada?

Was the WWF just hugely popular there in 1990? I know we got Summerslam '92 as the US business was in the shit, but I don't think it was too bad in 1990. It just seems strange when you had such a guaranteed success with Warrior vs Hogan. 

I know Toronto isn't that far away from the US, but it would've put a lot of people off attending. Was it that it would boost PPV numbers, or maybe there wasn't many big arenas in the US that they could use? 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

Why was Wrestlemania VI held in Canada?

Was the WWF just hugely popular there in 1990? I know we got Summerslam '92 as the US business was in the shit, but I don't think it was too bad in 1990. It just seems strange when you had such a guaranteed success with Warrior vs Hogan. 

I know Toronto isn't that far away from the US, but it would've put a lot of people off attending. Was it that it would boost PPV numbers, or maybe there wasn't many big arenas in the US that they could use? 

I can't see why they wouldn't.

A massive indoor arena and a big market they could depend on. Same timezone and less travel than even the west coast.

No brainer I'd have thought.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

I know Toronto isn't that far away from the US, but it would've put a lot of people off attending.

Crucially, not far away from New York really. Toronto was very much WWF territory, they ran Maple Leaf Gardens about as regularly as Madison Square Garden from the early-to-mid-80s onwards, I believe. 

Canadians like wrestling too!

• Paid Members

I'm making a best of Bob Holly. You don't need to know why. What would you include?

So far I've got:

Jobber match against the Bushwhackers on Superstars in 91

A SMW promo and squash (Bob doing the squashing this time)

WWF Debut as Sparky Plug

Debut as New Midnight Express and winning the NWA titles

JOB Squad with Scorpio vs Too Much

Hardcore title win vs Al Snow at St Valentines Day Massacre

Hardcore title match vs Billy Gunn on Raw

Crash's Debut

Tag Title win vs Mankind and Rock

Calling Michael Cole a shithead

Vs Kurt Angle where he breaks his arm

Kicking the shit out of Matt Cappotelli on Tough Enough

Title match vs Brock Lesnar

That RVD match where he cuts his back to fuck

Anything I'm missing?

Edited by gmoney

10 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I'm making a best of Bob Holly. You don't need to know why. What would you include?

So far I've got:

WWF Debut as Sparky Plug

Crash's Debut

Anything I'm missing?

I genuinely loved the ECW reunion show in TNA where he participated in a hardcore battle royal.

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, gmoney said:

So far I've got:

WWF Debut as Sparky Plug

Crash's Debut

Anything I'm missing?

The best match of JBL’s title reign (genuinely) was against Holly. It was a Hardcore match in Manchester in October 2004.

I’d also have some of the Holly Family stuff from Heat in 2000. I don’t remember details but he, Crash and Molly either had some entertaining matches or segments together when Heat was on Channel 4.

• Paid Members

Yeah I really liked that JBL match. I also seem to recall a fun Survivor Series elimination match at the 99 event with Holly coming out on top. Can’t be arsed to check who else was in it.

This definitely needs to be included though. The one show angle/match with Triple H from Sunday Night Heat in 2000. All starting over Bob eating H and Stephanie’s fruit because he’s hardcore. Match was decent as I recall as well. 

I’d also throw in his match with Ric Flair from WCW in 1990. Just for the novelty of it;

Bob gets a shot at the IC title against Owen Hart in his hometown;

Bob WINS the IC title from Jeff Jarrett on Action Zone in 95 but doesn’t really;