Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I don't know that today's audience would have the patience for a 60 minute iron man match. Don't get me wrong, if a match ended up going an hour and was good enough to keep their attention that long, such as the Cena Shawn match from Raw that time then it's all good, but for an audience to know in advance they'll have to watch a match for an hour may leave them inclined to sit on their hands for a large portion of the match, The 60 minute iron man between HHH and the Rock was great, but the one between Bret & Shawn would go over like a fart in a lift nowadays because I don't think a modern WWE audience has the attention span for something of that style. I could be wrong. I'll bet there are guys on the roster that have got some fantastic 60 minute matches in them, but would they be able to sell it to the fans?

• Paid Members

Didn't they effectively do that with Joe vs Sami? I know that was 2 out of 3 falls but it was a match that took up the entire show, similar to Mundo vs Puma in LU.

I don't know that today's audience would have the patience for a 60 minute iron man match. Don't get me wrong, if a match ended up going an hour and was good enough to keep their attention that long, such as the Cena Shawn match from Raw that time then it's all good, but for an audience to know in advance they'll have to watch a match for an hour may leave them inclined to sit on their hands for a large portion of the match, The 60 minute iron man between HHH and the Rock was great, but the one between Bret & Shawn would go over like a fart in a lift nowadays because I don't think a modern WWE audience has the attention span for something of that style. I could be wrong. I'll bet there are guys on the roster that have got some fantastic 60 minute matches in them, but would they be able to sell it to the fans?

"I'm telling you Kevin, Reigns v Undertaker, 60 minute Iron Man Match, Reigns wins by fifteen falls to zero. THEN the fans will love him, pal"...

On a serious note though, with the overly choreographed "my turn, your turn" main events in WWE, and the kicking out of finishes becoming commonplace, I dont see how you could cram, say, three to five falls in with the current main eventers (it would have to be a mian event). Guys falling victim to moves they routinely kick out of would look a bit off, as would them miracuously recovering from an AA through four tables onto a bed of nails to register a fall two minutes later.

I think you're right in that I think fans are conditioned to expect a certain formula to the main event these days, and would react with confusion, or try to get themselves over with "hilarious" chants during restholds.

• Paid Members

I'm with you there mate. I don't get the hype behind him. He's not the worst of the abundance of bad announcers they have at the moment, but Corey Graves and Michael Cole are both a lot better.

Paylay is how stupid North Americans says Pele unfortunately. I like Mauro though.

Hellooova kick annoys me though! Surely its Hell-of-ah?

I think there is an Hawaiian god that is pronounced paylay which is why they do it.  But they're wrong.  

And I've assumed, like Bicurious, that Helloova Kick was just to avoid saying hell and upsetting over sensitive religious types.

Paylay is how stupid North Americans says Pele unfortunately. I like Mauro though.

I think there is an Hawaiian god that is pronounced paylay which is why they do it.  But they're wrong.  

If the man himself pronounces his name "pell-ay", that's how anyone who talks about him should pronounce it, I reckon.

One thing I've never worked out though: was that bicycle overhead kick something Pele used to do regularly in his career, or do they just call the wrestling move that because of that one time he did it in 'Escape To Victory'?