Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

As a kid, thinking wrestling was real, the concept of a "good" or "bad" match didn't really exist for me. Whether two guys were exchanging rest holds, clubs to the back, or intricate counters and reversals, they were trying to win by whatever means suited them at that particular moment, and that was all the drama I needed.

I'd still fast-forward through the likes of Dino Bravo, but that was because I found him boring as a character more than his wrestling. In my mind, they weren't trying to entertain me, so I wasn't judging their performance and readying my scorecards. The only numbers that counted were the 1-2-3.

• Paid Members

When I was a kid, everything was good really, because it was generally all about results. You wanted to see your favourites win. Its only on special occassions when the line of good and bad became obvious. Like if (as above) there was a Dino Bravo vs Tugboat match that would go on for ever. Of if it was the Survivor Series and Boris Zukov would be in with ... anyone. As on the flip side, you  sort of knew you were seeing something special with the Shawn vs Razor ladder match. Even when I was 9, that was something completely out of the ordinary.

• Paid Members

I have a soft spot for Wrestlemania 9 as it's still one of the best looking Wrestlemanias even now, a real spectacle. The main event is decent, even with Hogan, if you have no attachment to anyone in it. Steiners, Luger, Michaels, Tatanka do alright from what I remember. I'd choose that over any Wrestlemania probably before it unless I was watching for one particular match.

Wasn't the Luger Perfect match part sabotaged by Perfect apparently? Don't recall being at all impressed by that.

Michaels and Tatanka was alright but crap finish. Can't remember the Steiners match well but I dare say that was good and likely a rare highlight

Main event was passable for a Yoko match until they made Bret look like the goof of all goofs (well, until Luger at Summerslam anyways)

The settings certainly memorable, who can forget JR's toga but there's way too much to leave a bitter taste in my mouth/bore me to tears. Also Bam Bam got turfed off the card to facilitate Crush V Doink. Boooooooo!

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

Corey Graves is fucking great. Just randomly re-watching Roode's entrance at Takeover Toronto and he just destroys Percy Watson when when he question's why Roode has 8 women with him.

With complete disdain and gusto, "SHUT YOUR MOUTH WATSON! You've obviously never been around 8 women before, it's the only way to live. YOU IDIOT"

It was like Heenan said it. Fantastic.

• Paid Members

Otunga is probably kept around because he's Harvard Law Degreed his way into a cushy deal and they might need Jennifer Hudson to sing the national anthem or America The Beautiful at Mania sometime.

• Paid Members

I have a soft spot for Wrestlemania 9 as it's still one of the best looking Wrestlemanias even now, a real spectacle.

I remember being a bit disappointed watching Wrestling Challenge the week after WM9 as I'd got it into my mind that all the shows would be filmed outside from then on in. God knows why.

Otunga is probably kept around because he's Harvard Law Degreed his way into a cushy deal and they might need Jennifer Hudson to sing the national anthem or America The Beautiful at Mania sometime.

do they even still do the national anthem at Mania or have I just been fast forwarding them consistently?

and whether it's box ticking or not. A useless black commentator that takes loads of flack off the white colour guys.. across THREE PISSING BRANDS... its just not a good look at all is it?

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

Heenan and Ventura were great colour guys because even though they cheered for the heels they were never afraid to put the faces over as well. Graves is a bit of a throwback to that and JBL tries to be as well, then goes and tends to Lawler after he gets attacked by Ziggler.