Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Wasn't the cost of manufacturing the actual tapes a lot more expensive for niche titles? Can't imagine WWE would produce huge numbers of product compared to say, a Hollywood blockbuster, which would translate in much higher overheads?

I'm not saying this is the case by the way, just making a (slightly) educated guess...

What always surprises me is when I see those old Coliseum Video advertisements in WWF magazine from the 80s. A videocassette of a WWF PPV in 1988/1989 cost $ 39,95 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Even in 2017 that is a LOT of money for a dvd, let alone thinking about how much it must have been back in the 80s. How can this be justified?

Ive got an old PWI from around the time of WM7 and it was on about cost of PPV's. Some companies wanted nearly $70 for WM7 to watch it. Crazy figures

• Paid Members

Bruce Prichard was talking a bit about the subject of the videos on the recent Something To Wrestle With. He made point that the first real affordable VHS was the first Batman film at $10

Might have been in the U.S. , but I was buying VHS tapes before 1990. For a useless bit of trivia, "Batman" was the first film rated "12" in the UK.

• Paid Members

There was always a scam going on in Sunderland back in the late 80s/early 90s. Nobody was in work and it was every man for himself, so the video man and the Ice Cream man used to rent films and wrestling tapes from the video shop, copy them and then flog them for a few quid. The logic is, if you want to earn some extra money, rip off a local business who is just trying to made a few quid himself. Steal from the poor to give to the poor. Pretty terrible in a way, but owning SummerSlam 88 and Superman 3 for rewatch value diminished the guilt somewhat.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay