Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

21 minutes ago, Wrasslin said:

I found it more entertaining than the currant product . . .

edit as I realise this pun was the catalyst for the thing . . .  So. . . something about sultanas 

But not as entertaining as the days of Tito Sultana?

• Paid Members

I was watching the MSG show from 1985 with, the brilliantly titled, 'Colossal Jostle' between Andre and King Kong Bundy. I think it must be a record for the number of times Gorilla Monsoon decided to pointlessly big up the weight of a wrestler. I'm barely half way in too.

King Kong Bundy, billed at 440lbs: 'You're not telling me that Bundy is under 500 pounds'

-'GIVE ME A BREAK' no way is Bundy 440'. 

Andre the Giant, billed at 520lbs: 'This is the biggest I've ever seen Andre, he looks to be in excess of 550 pounds'. 

Ventura: 'I hope they have reinforced the ring, we've got almost 1,000 pounds of weight in there, Monsoon!'.

Monsoon: 'Actually Jess, It's far in excess of that with these two in here' (it wasn't). 

Adrian Adonis, billed at 265lbs: 'No way is Adonis 260, he's well over that 300 pound mark'

- 'Adonis looks to me to have gained about 60 pounds over the past few months' 

Jim Neidhart, billed at 275lbs: 'Here's the big 300 pounder, Anvil Neidhart'.

- 'Neidhart, the power man of the team, the 300 pounder'

SD Jones, billed at about 260 lbs: 'SD looks to be in the best shape of his career, he's got to be up near 280 pounds'.

And so on and so forth... 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

You're not wrong. Probably my favourite celebrity commentary turn of all time. Donovan comes across as if he's suffered a serious brain injury backstage before the show started. I think it's pretty much proof that wrestling has forever passed me by that I would rather watch bladdered Grandpa Simpson over watching WrestleMania this year. 

'How much does this fella weigh?'

'My favourite is [looks at notes] RAY-ZER RAM-OWN'. 

'How much does this fella weigh?'

'Who's that, Randy?'

[Lex Luger, main event superstar, comes down to the ring] 'Who is dis guy with tha flag?'

'Who's dat girl over there?'

'Is dat how you guys wrestled in the ring like that?'

The best bit is after about 5 matches in, when Monsoon and Savage just decide to completely ignore any of Art's inane questions and continue to talk as he rattles off 'how much does this fella weigh?' like a water damaged Furby. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I actually watched King of the Ring 1994 last night, completely forgetting it was the Art Donovan show. The extent to which they end up completely ignoring him by the end of the show is amazing. Imagine the state of Vince sitting in production listening to that all night!

As much as they had some absolute stinkers on in the guest host days, I can't imagine them ever again making the mistake of getting someone so utterly clueless and putting them in the position of having a live microphone for the entire show.

It may just be in comparison to Art Donovan, but I was actually really impressed with Savage on commentary on that show, though. I always had it in mind that he was a bit too overbearing a commentator, but he's really good at getting the drama of the matches across, especially the Lawler/Piper match.

• Paid Members

My favourite thing about that is how genuinely irritated Gorilla gets as the show goes on, to the point where Art changes his mind on his pick for the tournament and it sounds like Gorilla wants to lamp him, while Randy Savage tries not to laugh. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, mim731 said:

My favourite thing about that is how genuinely irritated Gorilla gets as the show goes on, to the point where Art changes his mind on his pick for the tournament and it sounds like Gorilla wants to lamp him, while Randy Savage tries not to laugh. 

For as much as I remember Gorilla as being this kind-hearted jolly old uncle figure of the WWF, he could be a right mardy bastard on commentary sometimes, and it's hilarious. He would constantly rag on referees getting things wrong, and noticeably lose his temper all the time. There's a point during one of the matches at KOTR 94 where the referee starts to count a pin on a figure four leglock and he says, "it's a submission hold, not a pinning combination, ref!" with so much spite. When you notice that sort of thing once or twice, you start to hear it in his commentary all the time.