Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I like "Team", but only when it's used infrequently - stands out more, then. Favourite ones are Team No Fear and Team Emblem.

In general, I think I usually prefer unit names, so Legion Of Doom, Midnight/Rock n' Roll/US/Orient Express, La Resistance, James Gang, Minnesota Wrecking Crew, sound the coolest to me. Also like concepts, so Demolition, Southern Justice, Two-Man Power Trip, Legacy, The Shield, etc., all sound good.

That said, The Faces Of Fear is one of the best names I've ever heard. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That said, The Faces Of Fear is one of the best names I've ever heard. 

Yes. As a kid I liked Hart Foundation as I wrongly assumed it was a clever play on Heart Foundation.

Of course, Barbar was also in "The Powers Of Pain" which sounds awesome too.

Minnesota Wrecking Crew puts me in mind of one of my favourite homage monikers ever in wrestling - when Lacey & Rain on the indies called themselves the Minnesota Home Wrecking Crew.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

It’s sad to think that no tribute show over here ever thought of putting together a British Hart Foundation.

I actually came up with an idea once for a tag team gimmick, basically a fusion of power-and-paint and patriotic - two big guys, with red, white & blue face paint, red, white & blue tassels, and LOD-style armour spray-painted with Union Jacks. They would have been called the British Legion. 

I didn't think it was necessarily a particularly great gimmick, just that I was certain it would get over, because it had all the elements that would have people cheering them: everybody loves power & paint, everybody loves tassels, everybody loves the big bastards who can dish out punishment to the heels, and the patriotic gimmick is pretty much nailed-on to get cheers in a lot of places.

Nobody wanted to do it, and, to be fair, maybe there was no-one around who was both big enough and charismatic enough to pull it off at the time.

• Paid Members

It’s sad to think that no tribute show over here ever thought of putting together a British Hart Foundation.

It wasn't an outright tribute deal, but I'm 99% certain I remember Hitman Hobbs and Pete LaPaque teaming under that name in the early 90s. It was one of those deals where they borrowed an American name because it sounded good rather than to scam fans -- they also teamed as the New Rockers, though the new referred to a change of personnel from a previous team of that name in the UK (a move done years before the Jannetty/Leif Cassidy deal in WWF.)

• Paid Members

The British Hart Foundation make their way to the ring. They stand together and 'Bret' grabs the mic. Brian Pillman Jr grins. British Born Steel looks stoic. As 'Bret' is about to speak to the masses (it must be in the hundreds) that have gathered at the Weston-Super-Mare pavilion for REAL AMERICAN WRESTLING: WESTERN SUPER SLAM!, the lights dim and a hush falls over the venue...

SIERRA!

CHARLIE!

OSCAR!

PAPA!

ECHO!

It's SCOPE! Led by 'The Horsheshoe' Luther Reigns, Tyker Reks and Simon Dean, they surround the 12 x 12 ring and slowly make their way inside. With their black gear and boots, they look like they're fronting the new series of 'Cant't Pay, We'll Take It Away', and it's a good assessment as they inform 'Bret' that he has been dodging them for years and has huge copyright fees to his name. They're here to ENFORCE and TAKE PAYMENT. They're here on behalf of Chris Master!

Chris Masters slowly makes his way down to ring side, applauding and sporting a massive smile. SCOPE look on confused and BBS is looking at the ring announcer for his pay envelope. Masters grabs a mic and says that the name on the debt collection contract does say Christ Masters...but he has hired a new team to get the job done.

The lights go out. The owner hasn't paid the power bill. With a massive swoosh, the back-up generator comes firing back up and now, standing next to Christ Masters are three burly, dangerous bastards.

People in the audience gasp and scream as their eyes refocus and they see BEN PINNER AND STEVE PINNER! THE BROTHERS OF DEBT COLLECTION! And, standing tall at the back of the group, none of other than THE BIG SHOW, PAUL BOHILL!

SCOPE scatter! BHF are backed into a corner as The Pinners and Bohill make their way into the ring. They attack! TOW TRUCK TIGERBOMB! 'FOOT IN THE DOOR' FOOTSTOMP! 'Bret' is the only one left standing, quivering in fear. The Pinners grab him by the throat and deliver a devastating COURT SUMMONS!

Christ Masters laughs manically as they all exit the ring, promising to come back and collect the rest of the debt at a later date.

2 hours ago, JNLister said:

It wasn't an outright tribute deal, but I'm 99% certain I remember Hitman Hobbs and Pete LaPaque teaming under that name in the early 90s. It was one of those deals where they borrowed an American name because it sounded good rather than to scam fans -- they also teamed as the New Rockers, though the new referred to a change of personnel from a previous team of that name in the UK (a move done years before the Jannetty/Leif Cassidy deal in WWF.)

I saw them in Cannock as the New Rockers. LaPaque seemed to have about a dozen nicknames from Gordon Pryor, including "the Mouth of the South", which is unusual beyond being from Jimmy Hart because I understand he's from Leicester.