General News

Chest Rockwell

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

As far as victim blaming goes, I don't think there is anything wrong in principle with "best practice" to try and minimise stuff like this happening. It's all well and good to say, "don't tell women how to behave, tell men not to rape" but if simply telling men not to rape worked, we wouldn't have a problem.

Victim blaming rape culture apologist ;)

The problem with best practices is that if a woman or man gets raped and they haven't adhered to these best practices, or missed one of them, then the inference is that they could have done something or done more to prevent their attack, and that is just wrong.

As far as victim blaming goes, I don't think there is anything wrong in principle with "best practice" to try and minimise stuff like this happening. It's all well and good to say, "don't tell women how to behave, tell men not to rape" but if simply telling men not to rape worked, we wouldn't have a problem.

Especially if we're telling them not to rape in a language they don't even speak.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I thought we had a general politics thread here, but it seems to have disappeared. Anyhow, the polling industry report into the failure at the last election has finally come out, following from some other investigations.

The main conclusion is that most of the suggested causes (people changing their mind at the last minute, people lying about who they'll vote for, people overestimating their likelihood to actually vote) had no major effect. The real problem was that the attempts to get a representative sample (both by the original selection and the weighting) failed and that they simply interviewed too many Labour supporters and too few Tories.

That's backed up by two recent reports. One was an opinion poll in the last few weeks where they asked people, among other things, who they voted for in the last election and got Labour and Conservatives neck and neck on 35%, which shows it's still unrepresentative. Another is the recent publication of a social attitudes survey which involves picking a genuinely random group and going back to them over and over again for several months and repeatedly asking them to take part even if they are initially unavailable or unwilling to do so.

In that case, the results from the first attempt to contact people showed Labour ahead when asking people who they voted for last May. Only once they'd got everyone in the random sample to respond (other than the few who flat out refused to take part) did they get the correct result of the Tories seven percentage points ahead. One theory there is that Conservative supporters are more likely to be out at work in the day and/or out spending money in the evenings than Labour supporters and thus less likely to answer the phone the first time you call them.

The big problem is that people who are willing to take part in a political opinion poll are very unrepresentative of the general voting population, particularly among younger people.

• Paid Members

One theory there is that Conservative supporters are more likely to be out at work in the day and/or out spending money in the evenings than Labour supporters and thus less likely to answer the phone the first time you call them.

I saw this, it was quoted by some cunt on my facebook essentially saying this is proof that all Labour voters are dole scum & the Tories are the party of the strivers. Brilliant.

Archived