• 2 months later...
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Wonderful.

Humans - 1

Robots - 0

Is this going to lead to Microsoft creating something so powerful that it can't be classed as impressionable, it has full control and learns 100% independently??

No

I hope so

No

I love the fact it was taken offline because 'she was tired'.

As if teenagers go offline due to tiredness.

• 1 month later...

Schoolboy banned from classroom for 'severe' haircut. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/schoolboy-banned-classroom-peaky-blinders-7931480

Now, I can understand that schools don't want children to attend school with blue hair as it might be a distraction to their learning and others.  However, the kid in question here has essentially a short back and sides.  Yes, it's slightly different from a traditional cut but it's not in any way shape or form an extreme haircut in my opinion.  The school appear to have told the mum to change it and when she wouldn't, because it would have meant an all over shaven head, they imposed a one weeks suspension on the kid.  Is it just me who thinks that there are already enough barriers to kids learning in the UK without schools behaving like this?  Suspensions should be imposed for serious breaches of school discipline not for something like this.  There is a possible criticism of the mum because I can't understand how an 8 year old knows what Peaky Blinders is but the haircut in question is undoubtedly becoming fashionable in a more general sense.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it looks pretty normal to too. Before I clicked the link, I was expecting some proper filthy David Beckham 2002 inspired gang shaved mohawk, which admittedly look awful. Don't see anything wrong with this haircut, though.

I can't help but suspect there's something missing in that story, like the kid brought in some clippers and tried to give another kid a short back and sides in the middle of a class or something.  No way did he get suspended for that.

That's a reasonable point although I think the school are mentioned as having replied with a statement that quoted their guidelines on appearance.  If there was more to it they would probably have alluded to that in their response, assuming they couldn't give a detailed reply for some reason.

• Paid Members

Bit of an odd one, this. Don't see anything wrong with it - if anything, I'm surprised it's considered extreme, given that it's copying a style common in an era during which men were considered respectably turned out in general.

• Moderators

Well, copying a style from another era is no defense; it's about uniformity and conformity with today's look. Louis XIV looked pretty snappy by the standards of his day but a boy would be rightfully sent home for a haircut like that these days.

Archived