Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

14 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

'Red Red Wine' the hugely popular UB40 hit was originally written by Neil Diamond, you know, 'Sweet Caroline' fame.

I don't mind a bit of Neil Diamond when he comes on the ol' wireless but I just can't picture him singing this song.

UB40 didn’t know either!  When they did their first covers album, they did what they thought was a Jimmy James and The Vagabonds song (they covered the Neil Diamond song). They thought the N Diamond credited as the writer must have been a Jamaican dude  called Nesta Diamond or something. 

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

UB40 didn’t know either!  When they did their first covers album, they did what they thought was a Jimmy James and The Vagabonds song (they covered the Neil Diamond song). They thought the N Diamond credited as the writer must have been a Jamaican dude  called Nesta Diamond or something. 

Haha that's amazing. 

I'm going to hunt down the Diamond version on my lunchbreak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I've always believed that 'Toss The Salad' was just another euphemism for wanking. Found out today that I was very, very wrong;

NSFW (pasted from Urban Dictionary)

Spoiler

A slang-term indicating the use of one's tongue and lips to lick, suck, and penetrate one's anus for the purposes of sexual stimulation: The term originated in prisons during the late 1970's or early 1980's and was derived from the fact that salad dressing was often used to help suppress the taste. Other condiments such as grape-jelly, maple-syrup, and ketchup have also been used for this purpose as well.

The expression became famous due to the statements of a prison inmate in an HBO special titled: "Prisoners of the War on Drugs";
"First of all, right, if hes a new comer, right, I want him to suck my ass with jelly, what they call "tossing the salad" -- thats the slang word: "tossing salad" -- it means sucking my ass, right, with jelly or without jelly. Some people use syrup, I prefer for the guy to use jelly, right. I will reach my climate, right, I will automatically get hard right. I will, you know, come automatically if hes sucking my ass for about ten minutes or longer. Its a sensation/feeling and it makes you feel real good. Most all gays do that, you know what Im saying? Like guys to suck their ass. Its just like a pussy, right, but the only different is its not a pussy, right. It's clean, the person is decent, and the person knows that thats a asshole but in they mind they're lookin' at it like a pussy because hes in prison. So, toss my salad, and let him eat me, you know, and we straight. Thats it."- Michael "Snowball" Jones, Inmate #000838155A, East Jersey State Prison.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I've always believed that 'Toss The Salad' was just another euphemism for wanking. Found out today that I was very, very wrong;

Reveal hidden contents

A slang-term indicating the use of one's tongue and lips to lick, suck, and penetrate one's anus for the purposes of sexual stimulation: The term originated in prisons during the late 1970's or early 1980's and was derived from the fact that salad dressing was often used to help suppress the taste. Other condiments such as grape-jelly, maple-syrup, and ketchup have also been used for this purpose as well.

The expression became famous due to the statements of a prison inmate in an HBO special titled: "Prisoners of the War on Drugs";
"First of all, right, if hes a new comer, right, I want him to suck my ass with jelly, what they call "tossing the salad" -- thats the slang word: "tossing salad" -- it means sucking my ass, right, with jelly or without jelly. Some people use syrup, I prefer for the guy to use jelly, right. I will reach my climate, right, I will automatically get hard right. I will, you know, come automatically if hes sucking my ass for about ten minutes or longer. Its a sensation/feeling and it makes you feel real good. Most all gays do that, you know what Im saying? Like guys to suck their ass. Its just like a pussy, right, but the only different is its not a pussy, right. It's clean, the person is decent, and the person knows that thats a asshole but in they mind they're lookin' at it like a pussy because hes in prison. So, toss my salad, and let him eat me, you know, and we straight. Thats it."- Michael "Snowball" Jones, Inmate #000838155A, East Jersey State Prison.

I learnt about it - like many other people I presume - when Chris Rock referenced that HBO doc in his special. 

• Awards Moderator

It was a few days ago but forgot to post it. Librarians in some US states have to attend 6-monthly firearm training sessions.

It was one of those facts I couldn’t believe but within a second wasn’t surprised about at all.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I learnt about it - like many other people I presume - when Chris Rock referenced that HBO doc in his special. 

I learned it from Taz, when he was providing commentary for a Shannon Moore match and suggested that he might be vegetarian because he liked tossing salad. 

• Paid Members

My friend was saying it for months because Konnan used to say it in his filthy animals phase in WCW. To this day I'm certain he has no idea what he was asking people to do. 

Edited by chokeout

On 6/9/2021 at 11:27 AM, Accident Prone said:

Hide contents