Rewatching ECW - discussion of various bits and bobs

IANdrewDiceClay

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Loki said:

Which is a great story for a wrestling match - you're more interested in showing off your awesomeness than necessarily winning.

I think the complete opposite. It's dogfaeces and leads to the shockers such as the "rather have a 5 star match and STEAL THE SHOW  than win the title" Dolph Zigger match psychology. Winning the match should always be the number one objective above anything else.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

We’re WWE ever interested in him before WCW got there? And is that why he was pretty fucked when the Invasion happened? 

Or is the story of Undertaker refusing to work with him what did him in?

I dont think there was, now we know paul was on the payroll i would have guessed vince could have snapped him up if he wanted him. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

I think the complete opposite. It's dogfaeces and leads to the shockers such as the "rather have a 5 star match and STEAL THE SHOW  than win the title" Dolph Zigger match psychology. Winning the match should always be the number one objective above anything else.

I think it's different when it comes to Mike Awesome, because it wasn't about having a five star match, it was about being a colossal dickhead. He could win the match any time he wants, he just doesn't feel like it. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Has Dolph ever had a 5-star match and/or stole the show? He had that Title vs Career match with Miz back when Smackdown was good and that's it. The man is a proper melt.

Mike Awesome is the opposite of a melt though. I love that big dopey bastard. Some people will look back at his matches and wring their towels about CTE and "psychology", but those matches are a helluva lot more memorable and entertaining than most wrestling these days.

Mike Awesome got served a bad hand when he left ECW, and it was a damn shame to hear of his passing. God speed, Mr.Awesome.

That Spike-Awesome match is ridiculous, especially when you get fairly savvy to wrestling match structure, because they just chuck it all out of the window. You get angry Spike Dudley spending his entire entrance setting up table after table after table, which your WWF/E-trained brain tells you that's going to be the entire match. Then Awesome turns up an in about two minutes Spike's gone through every fucking one. And then they keep going for 20 more minutes. It's mental.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

That Spike-Awesome match is ridiculous, especially when you get fairly savvy to wrestling match structure, because they just chuck it all out of the window. You get angry Spike Dudley spending his entire entrance setting up table after table after table, which your WWF/E-trained brain tells you that's going to be the entire match. Then Awesome turns up an in about two minutes Spike's gone through every fucking one. And then they keep going for 20 more minutes. It's mental.

This is what's so great about it. Anyone saying that these matches lacked psychology is missing the point - they were purposefully subverting that psychology, by giving you something that still follows a logical structure, just not the logical structure you'd come to expect. The standard match formula exists for a reason, but the best wrestlers and best bookers know exactly when to break it - and some of the worst shows I've ever attended are ones where every match follows the same basic structure so obviously that you can see the joins. 

• Paid Members

That Spike/Awesome match is actually the first match of either man that I ever saw. I got gifted Guilty As Charged 2000 and November to Remember '99 as Christmas gifts one year, and I decided to watch the most recent event first. The event blew me away but main event is special and sticks with me the most.

It's odd that I read about ECW for years in Powerslam and WoW but by the time I'd get to see a show they'd be only a few weeks from declaring bankruptcy.

Just now, Accident Prone said:

Has Dolph ever had a 5-star match and/or stole the show? He had that Title vs Career match with Miz back when Smackdown was good and that's it. The man is a proper melt.

Mike Awesome is the opposite of a melt though. I love that big dopey bastard. Some people will look back at his matches and wring their towels about CTE and "psychology", but those matches are a helluva lot more memorable and entertaining than most wrestling these days.

Mike Awesome got served a bad hand when he left ECW, and it was a damn shame to hear of his passing. God speed, Mr.Awesome.

Awesome, in WCW, got hurt more than anything with two dumb gimmicks (Fat Chick Thriller, the 70s Guy) that people remember more than the entertaining matches he had in the company.  There was an anjoyable handicap match where he teamed with Billy Kidman against Hulk Hogan on the 4/24 episode of Nitro.  Kidman as the cocky, chicken shit loudmouth, hiding behind his big bully partner who does all the heavy lifting in the match.  A week later he goes one on one with Hogan and the two have a spirited brawl (that I thought was the best WCW match in May of 2000).  He had good singles matches against both Booker T and Scott Steiner, a three-way against them both on 10/30 that was probably better than when he worked against them individually (it's either that or the 11/8 Thunder match he had against Booker), hell he even had a damn entertaining match on Worldwide against Steve Sharpe which hardly anyone, or oddball completists like me, would've seen!  This is what I wrote after watching his match against Kidman on 1/17/01 episode of Thunder:

Good TV match and the best thing from this episode of Thunder by some way.  You see Awesome working with Kidman here (and on the back of his ECW run) and have to wonder how he was such a monumental failure in the WWF?  Maybe he was pegged from the moment he arrived, but the guy is talented enough in the sense that you work to his strengths and hide his weaknesses to where he should be a valuable member of your roster.

I still maintain this and have a feeling that, for whatever reason, he was pegged by WWF from pretty early on.

Below is a list of my favourite Mike Awesome matches in WCW, everyone I would say worth checking out if you're interested.

• Mike Awesome & Billy Kidman vs Hulk Hogan (hc) (Nitro 4/24/00)
  • Mike Awesome vs Hulk Hogan (Nitro 5/1/00)
  • Mike Awesome & Jeff Jarrett vs Scott Steiner & Kevin Nash (Thunder 6/21/00)
  • Mike Awesome vs Booker T (Nitro 7/10/00)
  • Mike Awesome vs Lance Storm (Nitro 7/18/00)
  • Mike Awesome vs Steve Sharpe (Worldwide 10/7/00)
  • Mike Awesome vs Scott Steiner vs Booker T (Nitro 10/30/00)
  • Mike Awesome vs Scott Steiner (Nitro 10/23/00)
  • Mike Awesome vs Booker T (Thunder 11/8/00)
  • Mike Awesome vs Billy Kidman (Thunder1/17/01)

On 2/18/2020 at 8:44 PM, dopper said:

- Faith No More Guy (no explanation needed) = completely bald, living in Florida, goes to Disney World every week, stopped watching wrestling after ECW folded.

He is front row at One Night Stand 2005. Right in the middle facing the hard cam. Guess he came back for that just the once.

Two nights before One Night Stand I was on a bus trip with them all from New York to Philadelphia for the Hardcore Homecoming show.

I briefly got to talk to Mike Johnson, Valdimir, & Charlie about the old ECW days and the state of wrestling in 2005. But FNM Guy just sat looking out of the bus window, not wanting to join in. I never thought anything of it until I read that Mike Johnson tweet this week.