Rewatching ECW - discussion of various bits and bobs

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

he was pegged by WWF from pretty early on.

30313668400.jpg

wasn't the story from the WWF always that he was told he did too many high spots for a big man, and asked to wrestle more like a big guy? But then by WWE standards at the time, compared to Undertaker, Kane, Big Show etc., he wasn't really a "big man", more the same kind of height/build as Bradshaw, Test, Albert et al, who were big, but not the upper echelon of the company. So that, combined with the stigma of being one of the WCW guys, meant there was nothing special about him and he never amounted to much. He was also injured for a good chunk of his run there, and apparently hated his time there.

18 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

That Spike/Awesome match is actually the first match of either man that I ever saw. I got gifted Guilty As Charged 2000 and November to Remember '99 as Christmas gifts one year, and I decided to watch the most recent event first. The event blew me away but main event is special and sticks with me the most.

It's odd that I read about ECW for years in Powerslam and WoW but by the time I'd get to see a show they'd be only a few weeks from declaring bankruptcy.

I’d never seen this before last night (after reading this thread inspired me)

Just a hell of a lot of fun. 

• Paid Members

anyone else been getting hold of the ECW TV redub's? some lovely bugger has taken the Network video and dubbed the original audio over the top so you get all the original music, great stuff.

Edited by Egg Shen

20 minutes ago, King of Hamptons said:

Corino was excellent in the last year or so.. But I recently watched his bullrope match match with Dusty Rhodes.. And.. Its not as good as I remember... 

Really? I remember that fondly too!

58 minutes ago, King of Hamptons said:

Corino was excellent in the last year or so.. But I recently watched his bullrope match match with Dusty Rhodes.. And.. Its not as good as I remember... 

I had no memories from watching it at the time, but when I rewatched it a couple of years ago thought it was dreadful.

Steve Corino insults the crowd then notices the Sandman’s wife, Lori Fullington, amongst them. He says how she’s a ‘hardcore icon’ in the ECW dressing room and that she’s had more of the wrestlers than Dusty Rhodes has had matches! He claims that Raven, the guy she left her husband for, was no ‘angle’, then calls Tyler a ‘bastard’ saying that Sandman isn’t even his real dad. Noting that Lori hasn’t ‘put him over’, he wants her to put him over on the PPV and refers to her as a ‘whore’. Lori slaps him, then Corino grabs her and throws her into the ring. Rhino is out and he and Jack Victory hold her while it looks like Corino is planning to sexually assault her on live TV. Sandman makes the save but Rhino cuts him off with a clothesline, piledrives him and gores Lori through a table. A bunch of security and officials head out to try and calm the situation while Sandman tends to his wife.

Corino is back and says “one whore down, on to go”, and he’s not waiting for later. He tells Dusty Rhodes that he’s the new American Dream around here and he’s going to kick his fat ass! The Dream is out and Corino is reluctant to get tied to the bullrope so Dusty with a bionic elbow and the referee is finally able to attach it to his wrist. Joey Styles points out that the official is H.C. Loc, who Corino and Victory bludgeoned in Milwaukee sending him to the hospital where he needed 53 stitches in his head. They establish that there is no escaping from your opponent as Corino attempts to roll out the ring but Dusty just yanks him back in. The Dream clocks him with the cow bell a couple of times then pulls Corino to the outside. For the next few minutes they head around the building and into the crowd hitting each other with the cow bell, with both ending up bloodied. When they return to ringside Victory attacks Dusty to give Corino the advantage. He digs the cow bell into his cut and then lays the Dream’s head across a steel chair that Victory had passed to him. Corino climbs the turnbuckles but is too slow, and Dusty uses the bullrope to pull him down and he goes crashing face first into the chair. The Dream uses the cow bell to rip at Corino’s upper arm, clocks him again in the head and Victory is up on the apron pleading that his man has had enough. Corino manages to fight back and wedges the chair between the turnbuckles. As he goes to ram Dusty into it, the Dream gets in there first. Victory throws Corino some tape but he drops it and Dusty picks it up. Bionic elbows for Victory and Corino, then with the officials help, they tape the cow bell to Corino’s forehead. Chair shot to the head, Loc gives Corino the finger and Dusty drops the elbow for the win.

Didn’t care for any of this. Corino’s promo felt desperate with the combination of ‘insider remarks’ and the use of words like bastard and whore. Then we have man on woman violence which is something I could do without too. For what it’s worth, that was one heck of a bump Lori took and looked like it could have easily broken her in half. The match itself wasn’t much either. The old ECW trope of fighting into the crowd ‘because that’s what you do in ECW in a gimmick match’, and both men bleed a fair bit. Finish was awful with the referee getting involved, even though Styles claimed it was payback for what they did to him in Milwaukee. It looked bad for starters and if Loc was going to involve himself, why didn’t he do anything earlier to counter Victory’s interference? Liked the start where they got over that there is no way to escape when you are tied to the bullrope, and Dusty ripping at the arm with the cow bell but that was it.

It's pretty amazing how he morphs from a mouthpiece-come-prelim wrestler to bastard heel to beloved babyface and eventually to World champion and the man who would've carried the company in 2001 and beyond if they'd stuck around longer.  Outside of maybe the FBI no-one could sell a beating like Corino, aided by his willingness to bleed and tjhe awesome visual of his blonde hair turning red, never demonstrated better than the outstanding match he had against Tajiri at Hardcore Heaven.  Those two had such good chemistry when working against one another.  The Heatwave match against Jerry Lynn is another cracker (the one where Lynn smears Corino's blood on his own face, wearing it like war paint and there is a strong match on TNN against Justin Credible (who was very hit and miss in the latter years of ECW) too

The more and more I think about it, the best thing to come out of ECW for me were the photos. Especially in the 1995-1997 period. Someone on here posted an album by George Tahinos (of PowerSlam note) in which there were hundreds of old school ECW pictures, all of them are really evocative and look just as magic on a screen as they did in the pages of the magazine.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

Absolutely right. Long before I'd seen any footage or started ordering tapes, those ECW photos in Powerslam were incredible to me. They just looked so raw and unbelievable and unlike anything I'd ever seen before.

Shame that a decent portion of the actual product didn't live up to the expectations those photos gave me.

On 2/20/2020 at 4:28 PM, Wretch said:

https://georgetahinos.smugmug.com/

Absolute goldmine of ECW photos here from a Powerslam photographer. Spent ages yesterday going through it.

Fantastic. Those Pillman ones!

ECW017-315x450.jpg

What a star. 

Thread's giving me a hankering to watch all the ECW ppv/supershows in order again. The episodic stuff never got me. They seemed to tear the arsehole out of it on the bigger shows. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

Pillman was the guy who I just thought looked impossibly cool every time I saw photos of him from that period. The sort of swagger where anyone else dressed like that would look an absolute prick, but he just made it all look incredible. No one since has had quite the energy he had.

Tajiri and Super Crazy had some belters in the promotions later years.

Didn't Tajiri make moves towards WCW but was so offended by only being offered a tryout that he immediately fucked off to the WWE?

Another amusing story from Power Slam I remember was the FBI and Dorin/Roadkill having a really good dark match before Raw and getting bollocked backstage for doing so.

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Pillman was the guy who I just thought looked impossibly cool every time I saw photos of him from that period. The sort of swagger where anyone else dressed like that would look an absolute prick, but he just made it all look incredible. No one since has had quite the energy he had.

Couldn't agree more.