Rewatching ECW - discussion of various bits and bobs

IANdrewDiceClay

On 12/29/2020 at 3:04 PM, LaGoosh said:

For some reason at the time I was convinced Chris Chetti was going to be the next big breakthrough star in wrestling. No idea why. He was absolutely fucking useless. I was really surprised he didn't seem to go anywhere after turning heel on Nova at the end of 2000.

Similar here.

Worse than him have done better , he was solid (albeit bland) as a face , his heel act seemed to be a winner but he just never kicked on.

If WCW and ECW hadn’t gone under then no doubt he would have made a bigger impact . 

Edited by RancidPunx

Wow. I know it's an angle - and we know he's no push over from the JBL incident - but he looks like a tough fucking nut in that .gif, and no mistake.

I can see it. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

I never saw any of the Delta releases but Im assuming they were the same music wise?

Most of the Delta releases of the PPVs actually have the original music with no dubbing over. From memory I think every PPV from Barely Legal in 97 up to Anarchy Rulz in 2000 have the original music intact. All the stuff from 95/96 and the dying days stuff from late 2000/early 2001 is dubbed to fuck though. New Jack matches are unbearable (well, even more than usual) with the cheap arse dub playing throughout his entire matches in place of Dr Dre and Ice Cube. 

29 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

New Jack matches are unbearable (well, even more than usual) with the cheap arse dub playing throughout his entire matches in place of Dr Dre and Ice Cube. 

I'm not having that. I used to love the whole presentation, where he'd roll up with a binful of plunder to spend 15 minutes twatting Angel about the place while Natural Born Killaz blared on loop. I had a brummy mate at uni who was well into hip hop, and Jack instantly became his favourite wrestler EVER watching (happy mothers' day and welcome to) Heat Wave 2000. I'd love someone to bring back a version of that soundtracked vigilante anarchy, but I've no idea who or what promotion could do it.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Like his fellow paisan Paul Roma, Joey Styles is a man you either fear or respect.  

074235D6-3AF9-470D-A8C0-3F1714566189.gif

Seriously, who did JBL think he was messing with? 

He actually blocked me on Twitter! 

He was having a rant about Internet Wrestling fans knowing absolutely nothing and I replied with "What about Cyberslam?". 

Blocked!

• Paid Members

Nah it’s clearly Psicosis. He showed up at the first One Night Stand in a similar get-up a few months later. Then he unmasked when he got in the ring and looked 100x less cool immediately.

January 2005 dark match;

200731-BC-19-C4-40-AA-8-E48-4-EBE36-A269

June 2005 at One Night Stand;

1208-F07-B-DE75-4011-BCFB-E9-E2-DCA84-FF

I don’t even know who El Ligero is but these are both definitely Hypnosis (Bret Hart©). 

• Paid Members

I threw on Wrestlepalooza 98 last night. Never had seen it before, will never watch it again. There's nothing much good on the show and plenty bad. The main event is Al Snow Vs Shane Douglas for the title. I'm not sure how Al ever got over in ECW, other than his theme and the polystyrene heads, he's the same old shitty Al Snow, with a crap promo before the match and the crowd dies during it. They try and do a big moment at the end with a handshake spot, but it's not earned and no one cares. 

The RVD Vs Sabu match is one of the worst examples I've ever seen of two guys just doing big table spots and having nothing holding them together. And it goes on forever.

The worst thing watching with today's eyes though was Bam Bam Bigelow Vs New Jack. Jack gets knocked out at some point, but still does a balcony dive after being lead up their by security. It's bananas. Bam has to pick him up and carry him to the ring to pin him.

9 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I threw on Wrestlepalooza 98 last night. Never had seen it before, will never watch it again. There's nothing much good on the show and plenty bad. The main event is Al Snow Vs Shane Douglas for the title. I'm not sure how Al ever got over in ECW, other than his theme and the polystyrene heads, he's the same old shitty Al Snow, with a crap promo before the match and the crowd dies during it. They try and do a big moment at the end with a handshake spot, but it's not earned and no one cares. 

The RVD Vs Sabu match is one of the worst examples I've ever seen of two guys just doing big table spots and having nothing holding them together. And it goes on forever.

The worst thing watching with today's eyes though was Bam Bam Bigelow Vs New Jack. Jack gets knocked out at some point, but still does a balcony dive after being lead up their by security. It's bananas. Bam has to pick him up and carry him to the ring to pin him.

Always been horrified by this, at least Jim Jones didn't have his lot doing spots.

Edited by Chili