Rewatching ECW - discussion of various bits and bobs

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
On 1/14/2021 at 4:20 PM, gmoney said:

I threw on Wrestlepalooza 98 last night. Never had seen it before, will never watch it again. There's nothing much good on the show and plenty bad. The main event is Al Snow Vs Shane Douglas for the title. I'm not sure how Al ever got over in ECW, other than his theme and the polystyrene heads, he's the same old shitty Al Snow, with a crap promo before the match and the crowd dies during it. They try and do a big moment at the end with a handshake spot, but it's not earned and no one cares. 

The RVD Vs Sabu match is one of the worst examples I've ever seen of two guys just doing big table spots and having nothing holding them together. And it goes on forever.

The worst thing watching with today's eyes though was Bam Bam Bigelow Vs New Jack. Jack gets knocked out at some point, but still does a balcony dive after being lead up their by security. It's bananas. Bam has to pick him up and carry him to the ring to pin him.

Watched Wrestlepalooza 98 at the beginning of the year, total shit show. 

• 1 year later...

Been re-watching the 2005 reunion shows again and I got thinking about which of the bigger ECW names that were still around at that time didn’t appear on Hardcore Homecoming or One Night Stand.

The biggest I reckon was Bam Bam Bigelow.

He was still wrestling (occasionally) up until the end of 2006, so I wonder why neither side got him to show up.

Has anybody heard anything in shoot interviews or anything about that? 

38 minutes ago, dopper said:

Been re-watching the 2005 reunion shows again and I got thinking about which of the bigger ECW names that were still around at that time didn’t appear on Hardcore Homecoming or One Night Stand.

He was still wrestling (occasionally) up until the end of 2006, so I wonder why neither side got him to show up.

Has anybody heard anything in shoot interviews or anything about that? 

Yeah, it's a notable omission now that you mention it. I've went back and looked at some newsletters from the time, and it turns out Shane Douglas did try to contact him about Hardcore Homecoming. 

Seems Bigelow wasn't in a good place at the time: 

"He was asked about Bam Bam Bigelow and responded that he hadn’t heard from Bam Bam in a long time and was concerned about him due to some recent personal issues, including a divorce. This actually resulted in people starting to look for him, and when he couldn’t be found by the end of the week, rumors hit the Internet that he was dead".

Thanks for looking into that, much appreciated.

After a quick Google search said he was still wrestling up until the end of 2006, but a look at Cagematch suggests he only wrestled twice in 2004 and twice at the end of 2006.

Even if he couldn't have worked, it would have been great to have seen him at one or both reunion shows though.

Same goes for Perry Saturn, who I believe didn't fully disappear off the grid for a few years until after 2005.

14 minutes ago, dopper said:

Thanks for looking into that, much appreciated.

After a quick Google search said he was still wrestling up until the end of 2006, but a look at Cagematch suggests he only wrestled twice in 2004 and twice at the end of 2006.

Even if he couldn't have worked, it would have been great to have seen him at one or both reunion shows though.

Same goes for Perry Saturn, who I believe didn't fully disappear off the grid for a few years until after 2005.

Yeah, I think Bammer was heavily into the drugs and going through some stuff at the time. He was also physically shot, so barely wrestling. 

Saturn, I think, disappeared in 2004. I remember him saying in interviews that he was completely off the map and didn't even resurface when Eddie and Benoit died. Nobody knew how to get ahold of him because he was homeless and drifting. 

It wasn't until a couple of years after Benoit that, I believe, he started to get clean and reconnected with Dean Malenko. 

40 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Always thought it strange that Steve Corino never put in an appearance at either show. Commitments in Zero 1 at the time maybe?

He said he was asked but turned it down because he looked at ECW as his past and had rebuilt himself in Zero 1.

• Paid Members
On 5/1/2021 at 8:41 AM, gmoney said:

Watched Wrestlepalooza 98 at the beginning of the year, total shit show. 

Just catching up with this thread, and I'm genuinely a little gutted to hear this. My first experience of ECW was around this time, though PWI, which I hadn't had the opportunity to really read before (as they didn't sell it in the Irish Midlands). They covered this match, and Al (for some reason) really stood out to me - I hadn't seen the gimmick before, and while he was growing out a dye-job, his hair looked unusual as well. It was the first I'd really seen of (ECW) Douglas as well, and it all looked really cool and interesting. 

Shame it clearly sucked.

I've been dipping into some later-era ECW (1999 onwards) recently. Been very selective about the bits that I actually watch, because a lot of it is shite and hasn't aged well, but anything involving Tajiri still fucking rules. 

I've always been a big fan of The Japanese Buzzsaw and consider him genuinely one of the most underrated wrestlers of the last 25 or so years. 

He's so unique and weirdly charismatic and usually has class matches or at least does something innovative during them. One of the very best when it comes to accentuating his kicks with a tactical thigh slap, too. 

His Deathmatch with Super Crazy is a thing of absolute beauty. 

• Paid Members

I did a little review of that Tajiri vs Crazy ‘Death Match’ earlier in this thread. I loved their whole series of matches whether it was in singles, tags or 3 ways with a Guido or Lynn thrown into the mix. They were great together and I thought that ‘Mexican Death Match’ was probably the best of their rivalry. This was my favourite bit, what a bastard…

DC86EF04-EDD7-4B10-BEF6-BE20F7E6AA96.gif

• Paid Members

I had a think for th

14 hours ago, dopper said:

I had a think and it's depressing how many names I thought of, checked, then realised "he was dead, but his tag partner/widow turned up for a memorial."

Others who had a notable run in ECW who I don't think were on camera on the shows were Hack Myers, Bruise Brothers, Woman, Dean Malenko, Mustafa Saed, Juventud Guerrera, Brian Lee, Steve Corino.

Probably between Malenko and Bigelow, perhaps depending on which was "your era" as a viewer.