Rewatching ECW - discussion of various bits and bobs

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I've always loved that Bigelow vs New Jack match. It's not a good match at all but it's violent and brutal. You can see Bigelow isn't standing for New Jack's nonsense and just destroys him. I believe Jack was knocked out about halfway through the match when Bigelow just starts dumping chairs on his head.

Other than that the only other good bits are Mikey Whipreck and Justin Credible having a fun match, Sabu puking during his match and Bill Alfonso accidentally sliding a chair straight into his head.

I watched a WWE ECW round table with Heyman, Taz, Dudleys and Dreamer and they talked about who would be beside Heyman on the ECW Mount Rushmore.

The faces I see when I think of ECW are Shane Douglas, Sandman, Raven, Taz, New Jack, Dudleys and RVD.

That doughy T-shirt wearing nerd Tommy Dreamer never got over with me, neither did Stevie Richards. Justin Credible always felt like he was punching above his weight too.

Edited by IronSheik

Stevie is leagues ahead of Dreamer and Credible. Stevie as the clueless putz sidekick to Raven in 1995 was an awesome character.

Credible was not top guy material, and Dreamer was a product of very good booking.

Dudleyz also feel overrated to ECW's history. Nothing against them or anything, but when they left, they were replaceable. A lot of others who left were not. 

• Paid Members

Dudley basically did the same promo and same match every week against the same 4 opponents for 3 years straight. They sucked in ECW.

I loved Justin Credible at the time, but in retrospect it's probably just because I really liked his theme music and look. Outside of any matches he had against Jerry Lynn he was ridiculously average.

An ECW Mount Rushmore is Sabu, Rob Van Dam, The Sandman, Taz.

Tommy Dreamer never really had the personality or gimmick to be a real top star in ECW. I don't think the fans ever truly loved or got behind him really.

• Paid Members

I can't see an ECW Mount Rushmore that didn't have Sabu and Taz on it. I'd then go with Terry Funk and Raven, but could see the argument for swapping Raven out for either Sandman or Van Dam, with an outside shot for Dreamer. 

Stevie Richards rules. One of those guys I rate just on that "I smile when I see him" factor. Remember seeing him in a few shoots and one of those between the ropes things years ago as well and he definitely comes across like one of the good guys. 

He'll show you! You'll see!

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

Coming to the end of 96 now in my big rewatch of ECW. I have to say, Raven's theme (Offspring's Come Out and Play) is a poor choice for him. Why did he/they pick such a jaunty song? Offspring had other songs that would have fit better, or one other bands he wore t-shirts of. He may as well have chosen a bloody ska-punk song. I just watched a montage of him in that barbed wire match and it's got that stupid guitar lick over it, it just makes it seem really comical. I guess it stood out, but not in a good way. 

Edited by gmoney