Rewatching ECW - discussion of various bits and bobs

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Mike Awesome's custom ECW theme was one of my favorite wrestling themes ever: 

"Six foot six mean and lean, a living breathing war machine!" Cheesy, over the top, fairly shit but also fucking fun and enjoyable as hell. Fits the man like a glove.

• 4 years later...

Mike Johnson from PWinsider did a Q&A on Twitter this evening, and a few people asked about the current status of some of the old ECW ringside fans that many of us remember:

- Vladimir (guy in my avatar pic) = still watching wrestling. Still attends wrestling events with Mike.

- Charlie (short, chubby guy with greasy ponytail) = same as Vladimir.

- Faith No More Guy (no explanation needed) = completely bald, living in Florida, goes to Disney World every week, stopped watching wrestling after ECW folded.

- Sign Guy (the fan, not the Dudley) his name was Paul and nobody has seen or heard from him since before ECW folded.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, dopper said:

- Sign Guy (the fan, not the Dudley) his name was Paul and nobody has seen or heard from him since before ECW folded.

That was me MJ was replying to. Always wondered about Sign Guy. From late '99 onwards, he looked bored shitless front row at the Arena and vanished altogether in 2000, without a trace seemingly. Imagine sitting front row in that building from '94 to '96 and seeing all that unfold in front of you. A few short years later and the quality had dropped off a cliff, so you can't blame him for losing interest really.

Anyway. Over on XWT, there's a project going called RE-C-DUB. They've ripped Hardcore TV from the Network and put the audio from the original broadcasts over it, so you're getting the best possible quality with the original music. I've watched bits and bobs of different episodes and they have done a terrific job interlacing the audio. So far they've done HCTV from 1996 to 1999. Desperately hoping they'll do '94 and '95 next in which case I plan on sitting down and watching '94 to '96 in order then calling it a day around the time Barely Legal happens.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, dopper said:

- Faith No More Guy (no explanation needed) = completely bald, living in Florida, goes to Disney World every week, stopped watching wrestling after ECW folded.

Strange considering he was at WWF and WCW shows like Vladimir. You'd think he was a wrestling fan, rather than an ECW exclusive supporter. You can see him during the Bret vs Owen match at WrestleMania X.

• Paid Members
Just now, Lorne Malvo said:

The ECW fan I always remember more than any other is that dreadlocked guy with no shirt on. He was pretty much crying at the end of the Guerrero/Malenko farewell match. Looked like a lunatic.

What happened to him?

Allegedly, attended a House of Hardcore class and Taz tore him to shreds, Louis Theroux at the Power Plant style. Never attended another class or show at the ECW Arena again.

• Paid Members

ECW Mike Awesome is probably my favourite wrestler ever. Every match he had was insane and exciting. I love everything about the goofy coked up psycho killer maniac. Whenever he was out there the atmosphere was off the charts because everyone knew something absolutely nuts was about to happen.

Idiots will try and say his matches had no psychology but they are wrong, of course. They just didn't fit the normal wrestling match template which is why they were so great. Probably rewatched his matches more than anyone else when I think about it.

Was talking about Mike Awesome in another thread not too long ago. And yeah, I will say that his matches had no psychology, because they didn’t but that’s what made them great, which makes me feel conflicted because I was giving out about Dijakovic/Lee for doing everything that I loved about Awesome. It was like he had an infinite finishing moves chest-code enabled.

He had 2 speeds, 100mph and stop. If Dijakovic did big moves for  6-7monutes tops, he’d been ducking amazing rather than just being decent 

• Paid Members

I think they had psychology. He's a big massive believable nutcase fighting dudes half his size in hardcore matches. It makes total sense that he would just absolutely murder his opponents with powerbombs, chairs and tables until they were dead. His matches felt like chaotic battles with the other guy fighting for his life. 

Edited by LaGoosh

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Was talking about Mike Awesome in another thread not too long ago. And yeah, I will say that his matches had no psychology, because they didn’t but that’s what made them great, which makes me feel conflicted because I was giving out about Dijakovic/Lee for doing everything that I loved about Awesome. It was like he had an infinite finishing moves chest-code enabled.

He had 2 speeds, 100mph and stop. If Dijakovic did big moves for  6-7monutes tops, he’d been ducking amazing rather than just being decent 

I may have said this in the NXT thread, but it was Mike Awesome I'm most reminded of when I watch those two fighting.  The "psychology" or the story is "I'm double fucking strong and nuts, check this out".  Which is a great story for a wrestling match - you're more interested in showing off your awesomeness than necessarily winning.

Was there not also the story that he thought he would get re-signed after his great match at One Night Stand 2005 but they were not interested in him?

Awesome looked great as the towering man in ECW but he seemed to just blend in on the bigger WWE roster.  He'd actually would have been a good fit in a NXT if it had been about then.