NJPW World

Sphinx

I'm trying to stay positive about this show (night 1) though I was expecting a card that looked like Royal Quest 1. If I'd wanted a load of Rev Pro guys I'd have gone to one of their shows. I haven't watched njpw consistently in a few years though I liked their last event...

Night 1.

Gabriel Kidd Vs Dan Maloney - no idea who these two are. 

Gideon Grey and Great O Khan Vs Michael Oku and Ricky Knight JR - only seen limited O'Khan and more RK Jr.

Kanji and Jazzy Gabert Vs Alex Windsor and Ava White - no idea, may be okay

Hiromu Takahashi, Sanada and Tetsuta Naito Vs Douki, El Desperado and Zack Sabre Jr - never a Douki fan but I'll take this. Likely a throw away tag.

Tomohiro Ishii and Kazuchika Okada Vs Bad Dude Tito and Jonah - I'm assuming Tito and Jonah are jobbers? Never heard of them. 

Jado, Hikuleo, Tama Tonga and Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs Gedo, Doc Gallows, Karl Anderson and Jay White - Tanahashi and White are the ones for me in this. Last time I saw Hikuleo he looked like a kicking/punching giraffe. 

FTR Vs Aussie Open - THIS is more like it! This is saving this show for me. 

Will Ospreay Vs Shota Umino - Ospreay is fine though its a very flat main. They could have replaced Umino w Tanahashi, Takahashi, White, Naito or even Sanada and this would have worked. 

Maybe I'm being too harsh or expecting too much. After that beautiful Okada v Suzuki match at RQ1 I'd have expected more. This may be my last unless they give more next time.

2 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

I'm trying to stay positive about this show (night 1) though I was expecting a card that looked like Royal Quest 1. If I'd wanted a load of Rev Pro guys I'd have gone to one of their shows. I haven't watched njpw consistently in a few years though I liked their last event...

Night 1.

Gabriel Kidd Vs Dan Maloney - no idea who these two are. 

Gideon Grey and Great O Khan Vs Michael Oku and Ricky Knight JR - only seen limited O'Khan and more RK Jr.

Kanji and Jazzy Gabert Vs Alex Windsor and Ava White - no idea, may be okay

Hiromu Takahashi, Sanada and Tetsuta Naito Vs Douki, El Desperado and Zack Sabre Jr - never a Douki fan but I'll take this. Likely a throw away tag.

Tomohiro Ishii and Kazuchika Okada Vs Bad Dude Tito and Jonah - I'm assuming Tito and Jonah are jobbers? Never heard of them. 

Jado, Hikuleo, Tama Tonga and Hiroshi Tanahashi Vs Gedo, Doc Gallows, Karl Anderson and Jay White - Tanahashi and White are the ones for me in this. Last time I saw Hikuleo he looked like a kicking/punching giraffe. 

FTR Vs Aussie Open - THIS is more like it! This is saving this show for me. 

Will Ospreay Vs Shota Umino - Ospreay is fine though its a very flat main. They could have replaced Umino w Tanahashi, Takahashi, White, Naito or even Sanada and this would have worked. 

Maybe I'm being too harsh or expecting too much. After that beautiful Okada v Suzuki match at RQ1 I'd have expected more. This may be my last unless they give more next time.

I agree regarding the main event, it is flat. It is the main event of an RPW show which you could pay alot less to see. Personally I would have had Naito vs Sabre Jr night 1 and the winner face Ospreay night 2 for US title. 

This was never going to be Royal Quest 1 level, if it was it would have had been announced months ago. Multi man tags are fine, it's what New Japan do but I think they needed a decent singles match each night. The tag title match is probably the only match on the card I'd be super interested in. 

Edited by westlondonmist

13 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Personally I would have had Naito vs Sabre Jr night 1 and the winner face Ospreay night 2 for US title. 

I thought that was gonna happen after the New Japan show yesterday it also gives you two worthy main events for both nights but it looks like the winner will face Ospreay the following week back in Japan.

They’re basically fucking around now until Wrestle Kingdom… Tama Tonga has a IWGP Title shot in 2 weeks time for fucks sake.

Okada taking on Tito is just his warm up for Jonah the following week as well as Jonah having his warm up for Okada against Ishii. 

I was expecting Minoru Suzuki to be on these cards but I doubt we’ll see him much anymore over here(he’s dating Meiko Satomura) as he’s fishing for bookings in the US during this period and NXT UK is done.

Most badarse couple in History

spacer.png

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Anyone got a rough guage on what the attendance for Night 1 as sell out is likely to be? Trying to suss whether the 250 car parking spaces at the venue are going to be comfortably enough with the train strikes or if I need to consider a plan b for parking. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Anyone got a rough guage on what the attendance for Night 1 as sell out is likely to be? Trying to suss whether the 250 car parking spaces at the venue are going to be comfortably enough with the train strikes or if I need to consider a plan b for parking. 

• Paid Members

I've got tickets to both nights, and I'm mostly excited to see live wrestling for the first time since the Royal Quest 1 in summer of 2019. I'm also mostly excited because I'm road tripping with my younger brothers for the weekend, something we haven't done since...well, ever.

The card is what it is. I would've preferred something a lot stronger, and it lacks the excitement of it being a live PPV, and I go hot and cold on the stronger matches, and I'm dreading the drive through London and getting back home for 1am on Monday morning, but I'm still giving New Japan the benefit of a doubt.

Despite the promotion being ice cold and despite them not knowing how to market themselves to an international audience in a post-COVID world, I saw a lot of the same critiques get lobbied at both the first Royal Quest and Forbidden Door, and they turned out to be critical successes. So here's hoping!

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I would've preferred something a lot stronger, and it lacks the excitement of it being a live PPV,

Why does that matter if you’re there? The matches will be the same. Some of the best matches I’ve seen weren’t broadcasted live.

To be honest, I think these are gonna be good shows. There are too many good wrestlers on the cards for these shows to be bad. I still follow New Japan so maybe I just had realistic expectations given the venue size, what its being built up etc. It was never going to be a PPV level show loaded with singles and title matches.

This will actually be my first live wrestling since Royal Quest 1 so I am excited to see some live wrestling again.

Aussie Open v FTR for the tag titles seems to be the match everyone wanted as soon as FTR got announced. I love FTR so if this delivers what I think it should deliver then anything else on night 1 will be gravy. I expect an atmosphere similar to G.O.D v Aussie Open for this but a significantly better match.

In current NJPW, Zack and Naito is one of the biggest matches we could expect on these cards. These two work well together, its been building for a while and its in the main event slot so you're surely guaranteed a ****+ match. I've been a big fan of Naito for years but he's been in tags and trios every time I have seen him live. Really glad to finally see him (hopefully) put in a shift in a singles match. 

I'm not wild about Ospreay but he does seem to go all out every single time he is in a singles match. I expect him and Umino will have a great match.

Ishii/Jonah I think will wind up being my favourite match of the weekend. Jonah is the exact sort of opponent where Ishii shines.

Theres enough on the cards that I expect to be good or great even though I dont care about these womens matches or anything involving the Bullet Club.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, air_raid said:

Why does that matter if you’re there? The matches will be the same. Some of the best matches I’ve seen weren’t broadcasted live.

It's the disappointment of the downgrade I guess. The first Royal Quest being live and with all that positive buzz, I don't know. It's just another thing that made me question the show's quality, but maybe I'm actively looking for criticisms.

I am a lot more positive on the shows today though. I think a lot of my anxiety stems from justifying the money I've spent on the weekend, especially since the cost of living crisis and the pound plummeting since buying tickets and hotels. I want to come away from the weekend thinking that it was money well spent.

9 hours ago, textonly said:

My biggest disappointment is Jay White being booked in matches in which he's going to spend half his time on the outside. (For real, though, it's a bit of a bummer he's looks so lost in the shuffle here.)

I think that's the usual for champions as you will get 1m in each match of him vs Tonga, but a straight up tag with him in it would have been great.