NJPW World

Sphinx

2 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I'm not sure if New Japan flew their talent to the UK for a Friday show and a Sunday show, they'd have their talent sit on their arse on the Saturday as opposed to work/make money.

Its fine. The entire thing is organised by Alex Shane so to split the cost he is sending the lads to work in front of tiny crowds in towns such as Carluke and Kilmarnock.

Edited by Ironic Indie Lad

6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Ha, didn't Misawa wrestle at some tiny shit holes when he was over for one of those shows?

He literally wrestled in a tiny little hall in Carluke, Scotland. Probably less than 100 people there with me being one of them.

There was a brief clip of this on NOAHs TV show at the time where you could see Misawa and Ogawa looking very concerned at the terrible shape of the ring. 

What a cast of characters on that show. The NOAH lads, Sheamus, Drew McIntyre and...JIM BROWN!

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Ha, didn't Misawa wrestle at some tiny shit holes when he was over for one of those shows?

This is the one I think of.

https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/NOAH_Vs._UK

I regret not going, but three TNA shows then European Navigation was enough of a stretch for one month. She said.

Back to New Japan.... if the G1 semis aren't Okada vs White and Naito vs Ospreay, I'll be a little surprised.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to have to give this one a miss too. The first night clashes with 1PW up in Doncaster and it'll be Interesting to see if there's much crossover with the 1,000 or so people that have tickets to that who would otherwise have gone to NJPW. 

Also, assuming the venue is at the Crystal Palace National Sports Centre (had a quick look online and there doesn't seem to be anything called Crystal Palace Indoor Arena) then it doesn't look particularly great for hotels either. Seems an odd choice, the Copper Box was a great venue/location last time.

What an utterly terrible idea to announce it less than two months before the actual event. I absolutely adored the event at the Olympic venue last time and planned an entire weekend around it. For this one, I already have weddings and other events to go to so won’t be able to attend. Wouldn’t be surprised if that is the case for a lot of people.

It's also the same weekend that Regal is doing his "evening withs" in Glasgow and Manchester. Even Rev Pro have a show in London on the 2nd and I thought they helped NJPW organise the UK events? (Though timings on that might work out that people could do both).

Between the short notice (just over 6 weeks, making the WES lads look almost competent), number of other events taking place and it being over two nights I don't know if this will be the success they think it will. I hope it is though, as that means they'll come back.

None of the other events are massive, but it all adds up. The pool of people willing to travel to shows in the UK is considerably smaller than it was in 2019. Also add in that so many people will have spent big on Cardiff only a month earlier and this one just seems a bit of an odd one all round. Had it been in the New Year then I think it would have made a lot more sense.

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

I went to a ROH show at Crystal Palace. It worked fine. Just as long as it's not too fucking hot.

I imagine it's cheaper than Copper Box.

Cheaper and getting 7000 over 2 nights is easier I'd imagine. The venue is a bit of a ball ache to get to compared to Copper Box which had great transport links. 

If I go it's to 1 night only. But I think they need Sabre Jr fighting for the title one night. 

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, s279 said:

The first night clashes with 1PW up in Doncaster and it'll be Interesting to see if the 1PW show actually happens.

Fixed.

Something must’ve fallen through with another venue and they’ve got a new one on a “2 nights for the price of 1” offer.

A double header and you’re only announcing it 6 weeks ahead of time? That’s insane. With everything the way it is right now I can’t see this doing well