Michael Owen Hates Films / UKFF Loves Food

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Fray Bentos pies remind me of Sunday nights. As we'd have the traditional Sunday roast earlier than we'd normally have dinner, in the evening my Dad would have a one of the following:

Fray Bentos pie

Grilled Spam

A Breville toastie

Vespa meals- remember them? I used to love the ones with the crispy noodle things.

Basically, proper cheap shit that he'd grab from the Co-Op at the end of the road.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big puffy pie lid with gravy spilling down the side of the tin. Yeah, I love me some fray bentos. Pound for pound, probably the best pie on the market! I'm partial to those steak and kidney puddings as well. Maybe they're more up Mo's street.

• Paid Members

I was trying to explain Vesta meals to someone the other day — I remember the first time I became conscious that my mum never cleared out her cupboards, when I went rooting around for something to eat in the summer holidays, in about 1993, and found a Vesta Chow Mein with a Superman IV competition on the box.

• Paid Members

Of course, it was VesTa, not VesPa like the poncey mopeds. I think I only ever tried the Chow Mein variety, purely because of the noodles. Was fascinated watching them crisp up in the frying pan. I haven't tried them since I was about 10, they're probably rank.

• Moderators

Frey Bentos pies are alright in a quick fix, but the main issue I have with them, and numerous other pies is ones where it's just a pastry lid. A pie should be fully enclosed in pastry, not just a lid. I hate it in pubs when you order a pie and you can tell they've just scooped some filling into a dish and popped some pastry on top.

That being said, real men are all about the steak & kidney pudding. Double hard if you polish off one of those and have a suet based pudding for desert.

• Paid Members

What do we all think of Fray Bentos pies? Only acceptable answer here is "Love 'em Butch!". Steak and Kidney's the best one. Just blast it for half an hour, eat out of the tin, then hoy the hubcap out of the window. Or if with potatoes the only acceptable potato to go with it is Smash. It just doesn't seem right with proper ones.

Love 'em Butch. But the fuckers give you a half an hour. Least you can do is make some proper mash and carrats. Make it feel a bit like cooking.

Only problem with a Fray Bentos is you can't share the fucker. Try and cut it in half and it just splinters. That's my excuse for why the missus has to have fish dippers anyway.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Frey Bentos pies are alright in a quick fix, but the main issue I have with them, and numerous other pies is ones where it's just a pastry lid. A pie should be fully enclosed in pastry, not just a lid. I hate it in pubs when you order a pie and you can tell they've just scooped some filling into a dish and popped some pastry on .

It's not a pie if it doesn't have a base, it's just stew with a pastry hat on.

• Paid Members

My wife's little sister was at ours the other week and she saw a tin of John West tuna in our kitchen. She actually said "John West...wasn't he a murderer?" Yeah, she was thinking of Fred. Kids today need to brush up on their history.

I like a Fray Bentos now and then. Steak and Kidney is the best. Or the All Steak. I can't be doing the the Chicken and Mushroom though. Actually, I can't eat any pies with chicken in that thick white sauce inside. It looks like my dog's sick.