Michael Owen Hates Films / UKFF Loves Food

Devon Malcolm

Gravy and Fried Chicken is win

:cry:

Admittedly, that's not as bad as chips, cheese and gravy, but it's still pretty rank.

This whole discussion reminds me of a horrible day at school some 6 or 7 years ago.  I had a lovely new bag, only about a week old, and for a laugh my mate decided to hide it in the bin.  When I got found it and pulled it out it was covered in gravy.  I put the bag straight back in the bin, stormed out of the common room and went home (it was sixth form so I wasn't skiving).  I didn't speak to my mate for about a week.

Oh yeah, and a girl wouldn't go out with me when I was 13 because apparently I smelled of gravy.

Edited by Slapnut

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Garlic mayo is heavenly — I won't have anything else on kebabs.

Garlic mayo for chicken kebabs, chilli sauce for lamb doner is my rule. But the chilli sauce must be a thick substance, not that runny shit with bits in it that you get at some chippies.

Do you have many places that do a good kebab over there, or do you have to wait until you visit over here?

What we don't have is onion juice. And rightly so.

No! Onion vinegar is the king of all vinegar! If it's available when I'm getting some chips, they will be swimming in that shit.

• Paid Members

Garlic mayo is heavenly — I won't have anything else on kebabs.

Garlic mayo for chicken kebabs, chilli sauce for lamb doner is my rule. But the chilli sauce must be a thick substance, not that runny shit with bits in it that you get at some chippies.

Do you have many places that do a good kebab over there, or do you have to wait until you visit over here?

They call them gyros over here, and it's practically impossible to find a good one for delivery. However, the restaurants are pretty decent, and then there's these lads, who started the whole gyro cart phenom around the city (and beyond?). They draw crowds, and the food is fantastic — they have a bricks-and-mortar location now, I need to give it a go — I've had their cart food a few times, as I cycle past their location all the time.

• Paid Members

I don't even have gravy on my roast because it's absolutely vile.  I realise this will make me seem like a mentalist, but as far as I'm concerned you're all repulsive for even touching the stuff.

Is this because you've never had real gravy?

Nope, my mother makes it the right way and always has.

Obviously not.

• Paid Members

Yeah we do! Proper pickling vinegar. Pour the vinegar off your (hopefully eye wateringly strong) picked onions on your chips next time. Delightful.

Not talking to you any more!

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Why would you put gravy on things that are nice because they are crisp, like chips, battered fish or fried chicken?  That's completely stupid.  Gravy is there to bring together a dish that would otherwise be a bit dry, like a roast.

I make fucking great gravy - using the juices from whatever I'm roasting, plus a glass of the appropriate wine to lift all the good bits off the pan, then the starchy water from the veg plus cornflower to thicken it up and not forgetting a splash of Worcester Sauce for that anchovy kick.  Plus salt and pepper.

To be honest, what this thread has taught me is that a lot of you guys have nothing in your fridge, therefore never cook for yourselves, therefore have no idea what good food can actually taste like.  The odd takeaway is great, but all the time?  And who doesn't like cheese, or have some in their house?

Not rank. What do you get from KFC? A Bucket with a tub of their lovely gravy, that's what.

I've been wary of that ever since 2009. Stayed in a hotel in Sheffield for the WWE shows there, and went to the KFC around the corner. First and last time I had KFC gravy. Within about an hour or two, I had the worst case of the shits that I have ever had. The timeframe makes me think it wasn't actually down to the gravy, but I've forever linked the two and I've gone with beans as my KFC side since.

• Paid Members

Indeed. Cheeseboard is the only acceptable dessert course.

...only acceptable after dessert course. Why deny yourself the pleasure of the double bubble? Pudding and then cheese and biscuits to round it off.

Quite right.

I love cheese (especially the smokey ones), but I wouldn't pass on a nice rhubarb crumble.

Why would you put gravy on things that are nice because they are crisp, like chips, battered fish or fried chicken?  That's completely stupid.  Gravy is there to bring together a dish that would otherwise be a bit dry, like a roast.

I make fucking great gravy - using the juices from whatever I'm roasting, plus a glass of the appropriate wine to lift all the good bits off the pan, then the starchy water from the veg plus cornflower to thicken it up and not forgetting a splash of Worcester Sauce for that anchovy kick.  Plus salt and pepper.

To be honest, what this thread has taught me is that a lot of you guys have nothing in your fridge, therefore never cook for yourselves, therefore have no idea what good food can actually taste like.  The odd takeaway is great, but all the time?  And who doesn't like cheese, or have some in their house?

I would like to agree with you, but then I'd be agreeing with you, even if I do. I wish I liked cheese, I could cook so many more dishes if I did. I do cook some dishes with cheese for Mrs H though. I'm getting a good griddle pan so I can do some halloumi dishes for her.