Just seen a big spider

IANdrewDiceClay

I'm not that good with evolutionary psychology but aren't there surely thousands of traits and behaviours that fall under it's remit that aren't necessarily exhibited in humans across the board? And with arachnophobia you'd have to figure at least 50% of the population are afraid of spiders to some notable degree. Certainly the amount of people that don't mind them at all are in the minority. The nurture thing to my mind causes a loop, doesn't it. Well why are the parents afraid of spiders? And so on and so on.

It doesn't seem that far of a stretch to me that it could be evolutionary. I've heard things before about a lot of beast nightmares being call-backs to when our young were nicked from the tribe in the mouths of predators and such. It could be all clickbait pop science but it sounds cool, nonetheless. A lot of paranoia and superstition - manifested right down to the most clichéd terms like 'snakes in the grass' - have evolutionary backdrops.

They provoke shock when felt on the skin. Visually they move in a very odd way. I could easily imagine these home invading motherfuckers having crept into out ancestral subconscious of fears down through the years.

Either way, love this kind of guff. I'm going to have to look it up now.

• Paid Members

I'm not that good with evolutionary psychology but aren't there surely thousands of traits and behaviours that fall under it's remit that aren't necessarily exhibited in humans across the board? And with arachnophobia you'd have to figure at least 50% of the population are afraid of spiders to some notable degree. Certainly the amount of people that don't mind them at all are in the minority. The nurture thing to my mind causes a loop, doesn't it. Well why are the parents afraid of spiders? And so on and so on.

It doesn't seem that far of a stretch to me that it could be evolutionary. I've heard things before about a lot of beast nightmares being call-backs to when our young were nicked from the tribe in the mouths of predators and such. It could be all clickbait pop science but it sounds cool, nonetheless. A lot of paranoia and superstition - manifested right down to the most clichéd terms like 'snakes in the grass' - have evolutionary backdrops.

They provoke shock when felt on the skin. Visually they move in a very odd way. I could easily imagine these home invading motherfuckers having crept into out ancestral subconscious of fears down through the years.

Either way, love this kind of guff. I'm going to have to look it up now.

Yes. Spiders are horrible.

• Paid Members

Hold on to your skirts ladies, I have an awful true story for you.

My mum suffers from terrible wax build up in her ears. She has had them syringed in the past, but now she prefers a thing called the Hopi ear candle. It's a wax and paper tube with a gromit about 2 inches up from the bottom. You put it in your ear and light the end, as it burns down it sucks the wax up from inside your ear. When it gets down to a certain point you take it out and put the candle out. At this point you can open the remains of the candle and see how much wax has come out.

Yesterday she had it done as she had been complaining that her ear had been itchy for a couple of days. When they opened up the candle from her left ear there was a dead spider in the wax. No wonder her ear had been itchy!

My mum suffers from terrible wax build up in her ears. She has had them syringed in the past, but now she prefers a thing called the Hopi ear candle. It's a wax and paper tube with a gromit about 2 inches up from the bottom. You put it in your ear and light the end, as it burns down it sucks the wax up from inside your ear. When it gets down to a certain point you take it out and put the candle out. At this point you can open the remains of the candle and see how much wax has come out.

Yesterday she had it done as she had been complaining that her ear had been itchy for a couple of days. When they opened up the candle from her left ear there was a dead spider in the wax. No wonder her ear had been itchy!

I shouldn't have to point this out, but Hopi Candles are a classic bit of snake oil.  They don't actually remove anything from the ear at all, they are just made of wax and so when they melt they produce... wax.

The spider was in the hollow candle, not your mum's ear, is what I'm saying.

• Paid Members

I shouldn't have to point this out, but Hopi Candles are a classic bit of snake oil.  They don't actually remove anything from the ear at all, they are just made of wax and so when they melt they produce... wax.

The spider was in the hollow candle, not your mum's ear, is what I'm saying.

Aye was just about to reply the same. Those candles are nonsense. 

http://www.badscience.net/2004/03/waxing-sceptical/

• Paid Members

I fucking swear I saw one today.

I've had concrete slabs sat in front garden stood upright for a few months and I finally got around to moving them.

There were 6 to move and they were so heavy I had to do 3 trips to the skip.

Anyway it got to the last two and after lifting the last one a fucking monster emerged. I shit you not it was 3 to 4 inches in width. On top of that there were about 20 smaller ones roaming around and subsequently all over the car.

• Paid Members

I have a 'workshop' attached to my house. It's basically used as a tipping ground for my wife's shit or my kids' outdoor toys, although I do have a circular saw in there.

Anyways, it's a great foreshadowing for the rest of the house and the Spider influx. The early battleground is set in there and survival of the biggest or most dangerous looking occurs all throughout August leading to the colder weather wanting those bad boys to comw inside.

There are some beasts in there at the moment, not as big as last year, but mahoosive. Big red and black ones that I've not seen before either.

Stand by folks, the foreshadowing control of my workshop reckons those that fear spiders, you're in for an interesting month.