Just seen a big spider

IANdrewDiceClay

I could use a couple of decent spiders at the mo - all we get here are the slow spindly ones sitting in the corners and chilling in the bath. Flies are the problem here, the big stupid green and blue sparkly ones that bang into the windows next to the open ones for hours. They're also big fans of flying right up to your nose to say hello while you're trying to post about their stupidity on UKFF.

Saw a big fella outside the front door when I came back from the shop last night. Thick Cat/Greebo/Furniture obviously wouldn't let him in and he clocked me a look that seemed to suggest "you got a light?".

I let him be. Spiders are cool. I used to be afraid of them and I think sheer overexposure just mellowed me out.

• Paid Members

I have no qualms about spiders what so ever. We don't get anything worth worrying about. Know I've got a chickens and sheep I occasionally see rats. Hate the bastards they give me the right heebie jeebies.

Got a dog where both his parents are ratters. They've both actually won contests, but at a year old he's proven to be have no interest in them, funnily enough the daft bastard will chase down any fox or deer he sees.

I can't understand spider fear in the UK either.

I'm not going to look it up, but I think the definition of a phobia is an irrational fear, isn't it? So there's nothing to understand.

Other than the likelihood that our distant ancestors were hardwired to be wary of a creature that, in their day and habitat, probably could kill them.

I can't understand spider fear in the UK either.

I'm not going to look it up, but I think the definition of a phobia is an irrational fear, isn't it? So there's nothing to understand.

Other than the likelihood that our distant ancestors were hardwired to be wary of a creature that, in their day and habitat, probably could kill them.

If it is an evolved behaviour, it's not a phobia, but I highly doubt that it is.

I've never met a baby that flips out when it sees a spider, but if its parents do, the baby is likely sticking spiders on its list of shit to freak out about. Break the chain people! Fear the horses!

• Paid Members

My mum used to flip out about spiders when I was a kid so pretty sure that's where my fear of them comes from. But I'm not keen on any insects and I also don't have a lot of time for reptiles which is being worsened by the sheer number of geckos I'm dealing with at the moment.