Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• Paid Members

Do people try watch classic content chronologically?

we've talked about this previously. I've tried but find myself wanting to dip in elsewhere after a few episodes. I just go random now.

That match were Schiavone tries to convince everyone that the crowd are in a stunned silence rather than being bored off their tits?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Finlay v Regal as much as the next guy, but that night didn't need an 18minute match from then on the second match of the show.

If you suffer from insomnia though, check out the Street Fight between Sting & Booker T against The Road Warriors from the show.

I've been trying to follow the Attitude Era chronologically starting with the Raw in December 1997 with Vince's 'we've been insulting your intelligence promo'

Funny how a lot of things in life seem to go full circle.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Foley was relatively fun, nothing earth shattering and clearly scripted but it was an easy half hour. Foley comes across as fairly reasonable whilst his wife has aged like a bag of turd - looks like a bloke with purple hair extensions. The story of Dewey and Noelle wanting to make it on their own is good and I can see from the next trailer that her ambitions aren't coming east. Though Noelle looks like a bloody foot, I think it's her mouth! 

If you suffer from insomnia though, check out the Street Fight between Sting & Booker T against The Road Warriors from the show.

Though, IIRC, is that the one where Book stepped in because Luger told Sting he was injured, but when they brawled backstage the camera caught Luger posing in a mirror?! That was a brilliant.

Loved that whole angle between those two before the Hall & Nash arrival meant they had to bin it.

• Paid Members

I had a Network binge the other day and I've now watched more Holy Foley that I ought to admit to. It's awful, but lighthearted and easy going. Also, Noelle.

I really enjoy the Ride Along episodes and Up,Up,Down,Down. Anything that comes in or under twenty minutes is perfect for filling the little gaps in your day.

I went to a Jericho / Christian signing in New York last week.  Noelle Foley was there too, to host the Q&A bit.  What was funny was Jericho/Christian autographs and photos were included in the admission price, but Noelle was charging extra.  People weren't having that.  I think I saw 4 people out of the 100 or so people there join her que.

Anyways, that Clown twat was sitting next to her and taking the money and such.  He looked very upset that people didn't seem to know who he was.  I only know cos I heard someone say it was him.

I've been trying to follow the Attitude Era chronologically starting with the Raw in December 1997 with Vince's 'we've been insulting your intelligence promo' and am up to late May 1998. Ironically I was a fan from 1991 to mid 1997, then from mid 2002 again so missed the era completely. 

It's been fairly entertaining but I haven't found the PPVs particularly great except for WM 14; the Austin McMahon stuff on Raw has been great but you still gotta wade through a lot of prelim stuff which can drag. 

I know this was only the very start of the boom so hoping things pick up a bit soon. 

Don't hold your breath, my friend - those WWF PPVs have so much filler it's unreal. Weighing it up...

Mania 14 - cracking show for atmosphere and importance

Unforgiven - fine, nothing special

Over The Edge - Awesome main event, little else

King Of The Ring - Get your money's worth largely, but the undercard stinks at points

Fully Loaded - Nothing to it

Summerslam - Good show

Breakdown - Nothing going for it outside the cage match

Judgment Day - Turgid show

Survivor Series - Marmite

Rock Bottom - Appropriately named

Rumble 99 - One of the worst Rumbles ever, I Quit saves the show

Valentine's Day - Outside the top 2, another dog ugly show

Mania XV - Absolute shits with a great main event

Backlash - Fun main event, decent enough underneath

Over the Edge - Not fair to rate really, but wasn't good either way

King of The Ring 99 - Horrid

Fully Loaded 99 - Nothing to write home about

Summerslam 99 - Some real strong points, fun show

Unforgiven 99 - Dud

No Mercy 99 - Thumbs up

Survivor Series 99 - Thumbs and dick way down

Armageddon 99 - Fuck ugly

I really love most of those cards. I think it's because they were the shows I first started retroactively watching by buying old tapes, having only got into wrestling in 2000. The aura of them for me at the time when I was 10 or so was quite cool and even though the wrestling on them has aged horribly they've stil got that I guess. Big freaky lugs with weird gimmicks slapping each other about whilst J.R. and King argue about Mr McMahon and Austin, using JFK and Freddie Blassie reading from Deuteronomy and clips of like... bombs being dropped for your vignettes. All that cool shit.

Once you hit 2000 though man does it change fast. 2000 really is the best. The good feelings manage to linger past X-Seven and all the way to about SummerSlam 2001, I reckon. Sometimes I watch stuff from that era and wonder why I bother watching anything else. Too Cool and Crash Holly are probably the lowest acts on the A shows and they're so over it's terrifying.

I think Enzo & Cass get that non-smart arsey, 2000, everyones invited for the ride pop every week now too and it's great to watch.