Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

I'm still half convinced to this day that Ted Dibiase Vs. The Texas Tornado was once announced for Wrestlemania VII.

Makes no sense I know, but it's been stuck in my head for as long as I can remember.

Did they ever get any sort of blowoff from DiBiase costing him the title. I know there was a match between them at UK Rampage but the issue from that match seemed between DiBiase and Piper due to the Virgil storyline. No mention I can remember on commentary about it either. And I remember a lot of Piper's commentary due its randomness and being ever so slightly racist.

Apparantly the European (not UK) broadcasts of WWF programming did at one point announce the card as Savage-Flair, Hart-Michaels, Money Inc-Disasters, Warrior-Shango, LOD-Beverlys, Undertaker-Berzerker, Slaughter-Mountie and Nastys-High Energy.

I can't imagine that ever being the real card, as good as it look's, no Bulldog on there is just insane.

• Paid Members

Loving the Hidden Gems so far. Have been watching it out of order and cherrypicking the matches I fancy so I was wondering if anyone had seen Thesz vs Gunkel yet? I'm always interested in watching Lou Thesz stuff and wondered if this match is clipped or appears in full form?

It's complete and the whole segment lasts

42 minutes.

Loving the Hidden Gems so far. Have been watching it out of order and cherrypicking the matches I fancy so I was wondering if anyone had seen Thesz vs Gunkel yet? I'm always interested in watching Lou Thesz stuff and wondered if this match is clipped or appears in full form?

It's complete and the whole segment lasts

42 minutes.

Brilliant thanks for letting me know. I look forward to digging into that one. I hope we get more 50s and 60s stuff on the Network as I find it a fascinating era but WWE prefer to act as if wrestling began in 1983 a lot of the time. I know it's not stuff that would do massive numbers with subscribers but it's important to have a chronicle of wrestling history available.

• Paid Members

Watched the Bret vs. Austin gem from South Africa. I enjoyed it. It feels like a house show match in both the commentary and the execution of the first half. There's a lot of mat wrestling and stalling and the real action doesn't kick-in for 20 minutes. It's different to their other matches and still really good but blatantly not a patch on SS96/WM13.

Not intending to be super critical, but I found it quite odd to see Bret's physical appearance differ after his summer off. He's not been arsed with the sunbeds and he looks decidedly littler, more 86 Hart Foundation arms about him. Certainly different from the Top Guy look he strolled back in with at the Survivor Series. He looked the bollocks in that comeback match. Did he ever wear the orange gear again??

It was class wasn't it?! Even Owen on commentary noted how he never comes off the top.

Yeah, it wasn't a big dig, but I found it a striking difference compared to Main Event Bret that you can see at WM12 and SS96. Bret's still got the spot on pro wrestler physique for me. Not a little guy, but not a monster who couldn't have the sort of matches the Hitman has. On his most polished days, there's still nobody that defines the look of a perfect pro wrestler for me more than 95-97 Bret.

The Hitman always looks super cool to me, always has. One of my first matches i saw of his was against Ray Roughue(Raggoo) late night on ITV in about 87/88, and he was wearing the blue garms. He looked so cooler than any other wrestler from around that time to me. Even now when i see the pics after all the concussions, strokes etc....he has that look. It.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people do columns or podcasts or whatever rebooking shows from that era putting all the TV feuds into big payoffs like that's how the company 'should have' booked them. Misses the point entirely. Those gates paid the bills and told the stories of who should be where on the card, I don't give a shit if you think Savage/Roberts was Mania-worthy.

It's the same as when people will say Piper/Perfect/DiBiase/Jake/Owen/Bulldog/whoever should have had a run with the WWF title. If they passed the belts around then like they did from attitude onwards, the belts would have meant as little as they do now.

It was class wasn't it?! Even Owen on commentary noted how he never comes off the top.

Yeah, it wasn't a big dig, but I found it a striking difference compared to Main Event Bret that you can see at WM12 and SS96. Bret's still got the spot on pro wrestler physique for me. Not a little guy, but not a monster who couldn't have the sort of matches the Hitman has. On his most polished days, there's still nobody that defines the look of a perfect pro wrestler for me more than 95-97 Bret.

I'll second this all day. I get little mancrush when I see those WrestleMania XII vignettes of him jogging out in the cold and doing bored looking laps in his big millionaires pool.

He's got the perfect balance between looking flashy and distinctive and looking legit. My dad hated wrestling when I was growing up but would concede that Bret was for real.

I'm planning on binge watching some old smackdowns and I'm wondering if any of you have and suggestions on which era too go for??

I'm planning on binge watching some old smackdowns and I'm wondering if any of you have and suggestions on which era too go for??

Been watchin post No Mercy 2000 and i cant say enough good things about it. I know what happens but its still must watch TV.

Some highlights...

E&C- comedy gold, the stable with Angle is laugh out loud stuff.

Angle- now the champ, the goofball/amazing wrestler dynamic is seemless. "Cripes on a Friday".

Foley- superb as the Commish

Regal- those pre match in ring promos and facials- so bloody good.

Jericho- super over, has a brilliant back stage promo with Rocky hyping a no 1 contenders match made on the fly.

Test- i know Test! In a highlights list! But he hits a sweet elbow off the top onto Crash (who is doing the Vince Mania 22 bin gimmick minus the table)

The overlapping storylines are the key to this era. Its makes everything mean something... and JR losing his shit over everything.

Wouldnt be right without me slating the shite on offer which would be the Undertaker. Just a fat leather wearing ginger mess. Was Triple H supposed to be face before the "Austin reveal"? The fella is so unlikable.

Great times.

Edited by Fanny Pack