Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

Yeh maybe. I know it was before PPV's etc....but after a 2 year or so build you would have thought it could have been shown somehow, else it would be the case you never get to see a decent main event on tv incase people don't come to the matches.

Either way i am looking forward to seeing it. I havent seen a great deal of Tommy Rich and from what i have seen i havent thought he was much kop, but i like Sawyer from what ive seen of him. He looks a fecking menace of a man.

• Moderators

Yeh maybe. I know it was before PPV's etc....but after a 2 year or so build you would have thought it could have been shown somehow, else it would be the case you never get to see a decent main event on tv incase people don't come to the matches.

That is the thinking. You'd never, or at least very very rarely, get decent feature matches on TV, and if you did you'd get the old "WE'RE OUTTA TIME!" during it and nothing of it would be mentioned again. Not unless they were to set up angles to take around the loop and draw on the road. TV was for starting and advancing angles. Not ending them.

• Paid Members

Didn't live up to the hype. It was alright but not the great match I've always read aabout. Couple of brutal exchanges and Rich looking like a star with his hair bloodied but never got going and I didn't feel the fire you got from Ole in the second match.

I can see why people who were there and invested in it thought it was brilliant but on its own and with age, it doesn't do much for me.

Rich crawling about on that filthy mat males my skin crawl these days. How the fuck more of those guys haven't got Hepatitis or something, I don't know. Funny but watching WWE from the early 2000s one of the things that jumps out at me these days is how filthy the canvas is.

• Moderators

Really? Dunno about never got going, the punch exchange on the knees and the missed crossbody to the cage to set up the finish are quality. I like the finish a lot too. An exhausted man winning by attrition. It's meant to be a fight as opposed to a wrestling match. I'm not huge on the Rich Piledriver Out Of Nowhere spot, but otherwise I thought it was absolutely great.

Discussion of the old model just made me think, what would people consider the first PPV of the modern era structure, where the vast majority (if not all) matches were based on feuds to be paid off at the PPV rather than at the houses. Even in say 92, big stories like Bezerker/Undertaker or Shango/Warrior were never destined for PPV blowoffs, and Mania that year was still following the 'throw two lads together' format and leaving lots of true payoffs for the house shows.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people do columns or podcasts or whatever rebooking shows from that era putting all the TV feuds into big payoffs like that's how the company 'should have' booked them. Misses the point entirely. Those gates paid the bills and told the stories of who should be where on the card, I don't give a shit if you think Savage/Roberts was Mania-worthy.

• Paid Members

Really? Dunno about never got going, the punch exchange on the knees and the missed crossbody to the cage to set up the finish are quality. I like the finish a lot too. An exhausted man winning by attrition. It's meant to be a fight as opposed to a wrestling match. I'm not huge on the Rich Piledriver Out Of Nowhere spot, but otherwise I thought it was absolutely great.

I really liked the exchange of punches on the floor too. But don't you think the match was too short for the "attritional" finish? I'm not a believer in a match having to be long to be great but this just felt really short for the story they told. I was surprised when the finish came.

I do like Buzz Sawyer. It was a pity he was a nutter because he had a good build and a great style.

• Paid Members

Discussion of the old model just made me think, what would people consider the first PPV of the modern era structure, where the vast majority (if not all) matches were based on feuds to be paid off at the PPV rather than at the houses. Even in say 92, big stories like Bezerker/Undertaker or Shango/Warrior were never destined for PPV blowoffs, and Mania that year was still following the 'throw two lads together' format and leaving lots of true payoffs for the house shows.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people do columns or podcasts or whatever rebooking shows from that era putting all the TV feuds into big payoffs like that's how the company 'should have' booked them. Misses the point entirely. Those gates paid the bills and told the stories of who should be where on the card, I don't give a shit if you think Savage/Roberts was Mania-worthy.

From what I recall, SummerSlam in 1992 was meant to be all the house show feuds blowing off, but Vince decided to go with a totally different card because the house show business had collapsed that summer.

As for the main question, I'd guess it was when they launched In Your House and went monthly. Until then, when you consider the Rumble/Survivor Series/KOTR were gimmick themed or multi-man matches, you only really had Mania and SummerSlam to blow off feuds.

• Moderators

I really liked the exchange of punches on the floor too. But don't you think the match was too short for the "attritional" finish? I'm not a believer in a match having to be long to be great but this just felt really short for the story they told. I was surprised when the finish came.

Nah, the length didn't bother me. It was meant to be a hate filled fight in a dangerous structure not a wrestling match, so it's being shorter and both being spent after being chucked into metal several times made perfect sense to me, especially when both are bleeding total gushers. If you've lost a shitload of blood you're going to be weakened and able to go for less.

Edited by PowerButchi

From what I recall, SummerSlam in 1992 was meant to be all the house show feuds blowing off, but Vince decided to go with a totally different card because the house show business had collapsed that summer.

Did they ever officialy announce these matches for Summerslam? I seem to rember them announcing certain matches only for them to be changed, along with the tag line, "The Summerslam you thought you would never see".

• Paid Members

Always amazes me that Buzz Sawyer was only 32 when he died. He'd only just turned 24 for this match. He was younger than most of the Nitro era stars of WCW in the late 90s.

Yeah. that always surprised me. Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Loving the Hidden Gems so far. Have been watching it out of order and cherrypicking the matches I fancy so I was wondering if anyone had seen Thesz vs Gunkel yet? I'm always interested in watching Lou Thesz stuff and wondered if this match is clipped or appears in full form?

Edited by The Hitman

• Paid Members

Did they ever officialy announce these matches for Summerslam? I seem to rember them announcing certain matches only for them to be changed, along with the tag line, "The Summerslam you thought you would never see".

Apparantly the European (not UK) broadcasts of WWF programming did at one point announce the card as Savage-Flair, Hart-Michaels, Money Inc-Disasters, Warrior-Shango, LOD-Beverlys, Undertaker-Berzerker, Slaughter-Mountie and Nastys-High Energy.