Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

I know they test and whatnot but to me Ambrose often seems like he's on some kind of opiate. I noticed it first in a talking dead he did and often since then when not in the ring. It's in the eyes.

I'm on opiates for my back and I would deffinatly say he is on some sort of painkillers for something the way he talks and acts

It's not that hard to pretend you're monged. The whole slouchy hazy cray cray thing is the guy he plays on TV. He's known to keep it up in public so people don't talk to him too much. I'm really surprised so many people think he's genuinely out of it. If the agents got a whiff of him being even half as consistently cabbaged as some people make out he'd be in the doghouse. They get to see him behind the curtain.

It's a work. He's a man for the hangovers I'll bet but anything beyond that is the joker stuff he's been pilfering since The Shield's first Michael Cole sit down.

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Awards Moderator

People really saying they would rather go for a beer with Austin than Ambrose? What the hell is wrong with you

Because I'm old. Ambrose would be talking about dabbing and roofies and other young people's things.

• Paid Members

What's dabbing supposed to be? I didn't like Ambrose's TV character before the interview and it didn't make me change my mind any on that. However I don't have a problem with him not wanting to answer Austin's questions about his upbringing, but how he avoided it I thought was shit. It just made it a bad interview. If he had of said "I don't want to talk about it, I'm not answering anything about it, lets shoot the breeze, talk road stories and wrestling" I'd have been happier with it. A PG way of saying, "fuck up and move on Steve" more or less. He came off as aloof to me, not chilled and easy going. I may be quite wrong on how he actually is but that was just the way it came accross to me.

People really saying they would rather go for a beer with Austin than Ambrose? What the hell is wrong with you

I typed this the wrong way round, I didn't get the Ambrose over Austin chat.

Do people try watch classic content chronologically? I originally tried watching from the start of Nitro, but that became a slog. I got to about Starrcade 95 which has no promotion on Nitro. Now I've skipped to Great American Bash 96. I hate the idea of wasting 3 hours on a real slog of a PPV. I'm wanting to get to the Attitude era but want to watch prior to get a feel for the change.

Do WCW in general have many good PPVs or are they better for individual matches? They have such a vast roster that I imagine it must pick up with some good stuff, but at the moment there's tripe like Big Bubba vs. John Tenta and the Dungeon of Doom bollocks still not going away.

Do people try watch classic content chronologically? I originally tried watching from the start of Nitro, but that became a slog. I got to about Starrcade 95 which has no promotion on Nitro. Now I've skipped to Great American Bash 96. I hate the idea of wasting 3 hours on a real slog of a PPV. I'm wanting to get to the Attitude era but want to watch prior to get a feel for the change.

Do WCW in general have many good PPVs or are they better for individual matches? They have such a vast roster that I imagine it must pick up with some good stuff, but at the moment there's tripe like Big Bubba vs. John Tenta and the Dungeon of Doom bollocks still not going away.

WCW PPV is a total slog, in my estimation. Especially because most of them were formatted in such a way that it was long arena shot-match-Heenan's slow mo analysis again and again and again with very little backstage segments or cut aways. WCW in the Bischoff era is really remembered for Nitro, not a whole load of PPV moments. I can't claim to be much of an expert on pre Nitro WCW like others here are.

I know WrestleWar 92 & Spring Stampede 94 are awesome though. Bash At The Beach 96 for historical purposes. Starrcade's also a belter that year as far as the undercard goes. Halloween Havoc 97, Starrcade 97 (again for historical purposes), Uncensored 99. All good. New Blood Rising is probably the best representation of the whacky pallet if that's your thing. The three 2001 PPVs are actually pretty solid.

I'd struggle to think of much beyond that. I never have the attention span to follow through on chronological viewing ideas either after a few episodes of something from the same era. I'm even starting to give up watching back full PPVs. I'm burning up loads of the good shit fast but I spent 2 hours watching soley WWE main events from 2000-2002 the other night and had a much better time. It's going straight for the cream.  

Exactly my thinking now. The first two matches of Great American Bash made me skip to the matches that look good on paper and that I may care about. I do like some WrestleCrap like Colonel Craig Pittman crawling to the ring, but a lot of it is just dull rather than amusing.

I think I'll do that from now on. I tried Raw from the beginning at first which was more of a slog. Cheers for the recommendations.

Edited by Sphinx

I've been trying to follow the Attitude Era chronologically starting with the Raw in December 1997 with Vince's 'we've been insulting your intelligence promo' and am up to late May 1998. Ironically I was a fan from 1991 to mid 1997, then from mid 2002 again so missed the era completely. 

It's been fairly entertaining but I haven't found the PPVs particularly great except for WM 14; the Austin McMahon stuff on Raw has been great but you still gotta wade through a lot of prelim stuff which can drag. 

I know this was only the very start of the boom so hoping things pick up a bit soon. 

Edited by Maikeru

2:10 into Womens Evolution and Stephanie is already mugging the attention. Think I'll give the rest a miss.

At less than a hour I can't see it being worth the effort.

Edit.

Seems to just be a bit of a companion piece to Wrestlemania. Meh.

Edited by The King Of Swing

2:10 into Womens Evolution and Stephanie is already mugging the attention. Think I'll give the rest a miss.

At less than a hour I can't see it being worth the effort.

Edit.

Seems to just be a bit of a companion piece to Wrestlemania. Meh.

I'm eight minutes in and I'm finding it both fascinating and commendable how open they're being about the way the women used to be presented on the shows. Good on them for acknowledging it I say.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz