Smackdown Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Why does Orton need to be in a no. 1 contenders match anyway? Doesn’t he have the same automatic rematch rights as The Miz does for the IC title? Odd.

Even more so you would think, Orton wasn't even pinned in his title match where as the Miz was!

Still, ive long given up on things like that in WWE.

Next weeks superstar shakeup will hopefully freshen things up a bit, but bloody hell, every PPV will be full of multi man matches now to get people on the card, I really don't think they needed to combine the PPV's to be honest.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Carmella thing is such a disappointment. They go from this whole empowerment thing, to the two ladies having an amazing match at Mania and then to giving the belt to a terrible wrestler who is seemingly only employed for her looks and body and has been made to like like a complete joke all month. It just seems like one step forward and then nine thousand steps back as usual. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

The Carmella thing is such a disappointment. They go from this whole empowerment thing, to the two ladies having an amazing match at Mania and then to giving the belt to a terrible wrestler who is seemingly only employed for her looks and body and has been made to like like a complete joke all month. It just seems like one step forward and then nine thousand steps back as usual. 

Don't stress too much. Carmella cashing in puts the belt on a new heel to start a new story in the here and now ; people will talk about Charlotte vs Asuka for years.

• Paid Members

I'm with Daz on this show. Easily flew through the whole thing this morning over breakfast as 75% of it was about people I have no interest in. Those two NXT lasses, Paige, Carmella, Nattie and Mrs Uso, as well as a repeat again of New Day and The Uso's (although with the best result) and another three way with Orton winning to challenge Jinder and extend the tied worst fued of 2017. Such a skippable show other than the main event, which feels like it was booked for Daniel Bryan to move to Raw, as they aren't flipping the belts and putting Brock on Smackdown. Daniel Bryan in the same place as Reigns after all is my prediction. If they do it, I see it helping Reigns loads and loads . . . 

Bryan Vs AJ was very good though for the time it lasted and showed signs of Bryan altering his ring style in the early exchanges, which hopefully keeps up for his sake. 

• Paid Members

@WinstonIs there a superstar shakeup next week then? You're right, it can't come soon enough for Smackdown. Bryan returning, Nakamura turning heel and the Iconic Duo will only give them so much, it won't change that the rest of the small roster have done everything there is to be done with each other. 

• Paid Members

Them giving away Bryan vs. AJ on free TV suggests to me that one of them is going to Raw. Knowing this lot, they’ll probably put Bryan on the same show as Roman and then wonder why Roman isn’t getting over as the top face.

Someone in power must really care for Paige. If it was based on merit alone, there’s no way anyone could watch that promo she cut over the weekend where she previewed her new movie, gurning and slurring her words like a crazy drunk auntie, and then decide to she’d be good as a GM.

37 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Such a skippable show other than the main event, which feels like it was booked for Daniel Bryan to move to Raw, as they aren't flipping the belts and putting Brock on Smackdown.

Yeah Brock is no way going to Smackdown, but hey could still flip the belts, ive always thought the WWE title should be on Raw.

They could trade AJ over to Raw with the belt, then trade Reigns over to Smackdown and have him win the Universal title at the Saudi show seeing that match is already signed, so that Smackdown have a champion. Could trade Joe over there too so they can have there title match at Backlash.

• Paid Members

That's true, they could do something like that to keep the 'what's going to happen next' feeling of the draft shows going for the next month or something.

1 hour ago, Yakashi said:

Considering we are in TV rights negotiations time, I think Smackdown will get even more marginalised than it is now.

Am I missing something or would it not make more sense to boost SmackDown so that it gets picked up? A bit like when Triple H went there for them swapping to MyNetworkTV. 

Yeah Nakamura's 'Sorry, me no speak English' line was great. I remember seeing an ROH show with Satoshi Kojima years ago and the ref was telling him to stop cheating and he went something like 'I don't understand. I speak Japanese! I don't understand!' 

Can do without ever seeing Orton v Mahal again in my entire life but, hey ho. 

Really decent main event between AJ and Bryan and, yeah, they are definitely getting put on two different shows.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that Nakamura promo was brilliant.

Every now and then his delivery is absolutely pitch-perfect; I remember in NXT, the way he said, "I have to beat the icon" to Finn Balor was superb - he didn't sound cocky, he sounded upset, like he knew he was going to beat Finn, and he was almost apologising to him for it. That "no speak English" line was fantastic, but even his little wink when he says sorry to AJ Styles showed more charisma than most people on the roster can muster in a whole promo.

• Paid Members

Carmella's cash-in was great. Chioda's stalling was funny, just allowed them to ham up the moment even more by how long it took for him to ring the bell. No harm whatsoever in taking the belt off of Charlotte for a while, she's bigger than the title IMO and it opens the door for the move across to Raw next week where they can slowly but surely begin planting the seeds for the Rousey clash next year. 

Only seen bits of Bryan/AJ but Bryan continues to look the part even after all his time out of the ring. I can't help but wince every time he clutches his head though, especially after that last spot before the run in where AJ transitions and lands on top of him. Appreciate you can't exactly wrap him up in cotton wool though, and I'm guessing it will take time for him to implement the safer style he's previously said he's been working on. 

Already onto a winner with heel Nakamura - much more invested in a potential series with AJ now and retrospectively I can see why they didn't go full tilt in their Wrestlemania match to leave us wanting more. 

I thought they were going with Jinder/Rusev as the next US title programme, but once again they've got someone who's gotten over organically off his own back and they just have no idea what to do with them other than make a t-shirt. It's perhaps a bit more difficult to book around because Rusev has been playing the evil foreigner role for so long and they're worried about how that transition into a babyface role would go, but they clearly have no idea how to book him so he's just going to be left out to pasture. Shame. Orton vs Mahal part II makes me want to cry. 

Archived