Smackdown Discussion Thread

I could live with The Miz and Big Cass as a duo. Dont actually mind Big Cass to be fair. I think he's decent for a guy his size.

Who would have ever thought there would be a main WWE show with AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Shinsuke Nakamura and Daniel Bryan on the same roster. Honestly, what a time to be alive.

Shame there seems to be no Nikki Cross with Sanity though. Interested to see what they plan on doing with her on NXT going forward. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Shame there seems to be no Nikki Cross with Sanity though. Interested to see what they plan on doing with her on NXT going forward.

They must have plans to add her to Sanity at some point you'd think. Maybe let the women's division settle for a bit first, as there have been some big changes. She's been floundering in NXT for a while and unless she has a title run (which I don't see and I don't think it's necessary with her current gimmick), then I don't see any reason for her to remain there. Unless she has a complete repackage, which you'd think is inevitable for her at some point down the line.

4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

'Lexi'

Fantastic and much needed draft for the blue brand. Other than Fairly-Big Cass, there's some real talent there to replenish the absolute tripe that Raw inherited. Joe, Styles and Bryan triple threat down the line anyone? Yes fucking please.

The gulf in the tag divisions was vast as it was, swapping The Bar and the good brothers for Breezango makes it even more so. Plus, if you now have Sanity added to the mix.

Where's Daniels wrestling at the moment - go full on and have a three way with Joe, AJ and Daniels ;)

I echo everyone else's opinion on how good the Smackdown roster is right now.

I am hoping for Daniel Bryan or AJ Styles Vs Benjamin, Hardy, Almas etc. Also maybe a 3 way match between Bryan, AJ Styles and Samoa Joe would be awesome.

• Paid Members

For those that spent years bemoaning that Shelton never got the main event run he deserved should watch his in-ring promo last night. He's bloody awful on the mic isn't he? So unnatural and awkward.

• Paid Members

I thought it was one of his better efforts tbh.

I liked Orton coming out and then just letting Hardy take the match. There was a funny discussion on the SCG post-Mania pod about Orton not giving a fuck generally. That would be a great character for him to evolve into. Imagine they play his music but he doesn't come out. Cameras roam the backstage area and find him on his bus watching Netflix.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

They must have plans to add her to Sanity at some point you'd think. Maybe let the women's division settle for a bit first, as there have been some big changes. She's been floundering in NXT for a while and unless she has a title run (which I don't see and I don't think it's necessary with her current gimmick), then I don't see any reason for her to remain there. Unless she has a complete repackage, which you'd think is inevitable for her at some point down the line.

I assume she's just staying down in NXT to flesh out the women's division, and create a bit of continuity between old and new - with Ember Moon called up, and Absolution and Riott Squad before her, Nikki feels like the only significant name left from the time of Asuka as Womens Champion, so they might see it as useful to have her around a little while longer, as the "new generation" start to establish themselves.

Beyond that, a lot of what she was doing with Sanity in NXT I can't see really flying on the main roster - while she was never doing intergender matches, she was getting involved in the men's matches from day one, and they might not want that on the main show from anyone not named Ronda Rousey and Triple H. So on Smackdown she'd just be an extra body lingering around ringside and not doing much of anything.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I assume she's just staying down in NXT to flesh out the women's division, and create a bit of continuity between old and new - with Ember Moon called up, and Absolution and Riott Squad before her, Nikki feels like the only significant name left from the time of Asuka as Womens Champion, so they might see it as useful to have her around a little while longer, as the "new generation" start to establish themselves.

I wonder if she'll be challenging Shayna in the near future, maybe with the idea that Baszler has intimidated all of her opponents, but she can't intimidate someone who is unhinged? They are pretty short on babyfaces who are genuinely over in NXT on the women's side, so I can see Cross in there over the next few months before going up to the main roster.

Thinking about it, I'm quite glad Sanity have been put on Smackdown. On Raw, I worry they would be dragged into all the Matt Hardy/Brayy Wyatt stuff, which would be a waste. 

6 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Joe, Styles and Bryan triple threat down the line anyone? Yes fucking please.

They had a really good triple threat in IWA from 2004 and with how all three are now as workers, I really hope we get it in WWE too as it has potential to be p.special.

What a mental shake-up. Besides the points everybody else has made of Smackers coming out of this tremendously just as far as finished rosters go, they also only have to put a show out of 2 hours each week with that roster. That's surely going to work in their favour and against Raw too. Which sucks for me personally, ditched sky long ago and just use the youtube chopped up highlights to keep up to date. Actually fancy watching a full SmackDown weekly now.

What a bloody mess Raw has suddenly become. They've taken on some right shit, lost some great talent...but what they have left is kind of all over the place. Their champion is barely around and really, that belt has been a joke it's entire existence now. Brock is neither really face or heel, Roman is positioned as top babyface and has been handled terribly and currently, looks bollocksed. Braun looked like a genuine star about to catch fire, but they've played around, hesitated too much that they might miss the window. Ronda looks great but i don't know who she's going to work with, Nattie? Great. Tag division seems non-existent. Who are their top heels now Miz and Joe have moved? Sami and KO pretty much. Surely a heel turn from someone is imminent. I'd love it to be Roman or even Finn, probably be Roode though. Really expected them to get one big name in Bryan, Styles or Charlotte.

Hadn't considered the idea that Big Cass may be positioned as Miz' heavy. That's a great shout and hopefully where that is going. Smackdown is a genuinely ridiculously exciting prospect for the next 6 months ahead. The Miz/Bryan feud, which i reckon will result in Miz bagging the main belt again down the line. Styles against heel Nakamura and Joe. Miz vs Bryan could be built to be a massive 'Mania match, so much history to it. They could face before then, but do it with Bryan dethroning Miz after finally getting his Rumble win. Do Bryan/Nakamura along the way and Bryan/Styles. That could be for the belt, Miz costs Bryan or some shit, Miz ends up taking the title from AJ. Do an injury angle with Miz taking Bryan out which Miz really hammers home on tv, Bryan returns at the Rumble and wins it.

• Paid Members

The thing that would still stop me wanting to watch a full episode of SD weekly would be the FORMULA. It's so irritating. After all these years, we still have the same shit every week. Even on a decent show like this one. GM Paige still has to crop up during the show to make a TAG TEAM MATCH, PLAYA. Complete was that chuffing IN THIS VERY RING delivery that's right out of 1998. The 10 minute promo still starts the show. The nerdy commentator still relays messages from COMMISSION Shane McMahon. They still stick an advert in the middle of every match (normally when the heel has been thrown out of the ring and coming back when he's got a resthold). They still persist with terrible in-ring celebrations and think draping a leopard print scarf over a turnbuckle and a chipboard table counts as a set. They still have terrible "talk show" segments because Roddy Piper. This stuff still annoys me in 23 minutes of highlights.

It would take nothing to make it feel like this show is run (written) by different people to Raw. Most easily by having the show written by different people to Raw.

Archived