Smackdown Discussion Thread

The main event was excellent for what you would normally expect from the SD main event format of lockup, bump to the outside, ad break, rest hold, come back, run-in. They got to do a lot more. I hope they don't move either of them but I can't see that happening.

Nakamuras' promo was excellent. Absolute gold. I'm way into him as dastardly heel who low blows everyone. Perfect.

Carmella is the right decision. She's wonderful. Charlotte's off to Raw, Sasha's coming here, probably with Asuka. It was this or Naomi (who i'm sure is going to Raw), and I'd rather lose a digit than another Naomi reign.....

I was expecting Paige to sign with Vivid. The actual reality is equally unpleasurable. She won't last long.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm against the grain here but I really like Paige as GM. Refreshing to be away from the Shane-Bryan back and forths and I think she can do a good job.

Heel Nakamura is superb - so glad they turned him. He can suddenly produce solid promos and he's already over so thankfully we shouldn't get the usual Evil Foreigner gimmick. It'll lead to better matches with AJ too. We need that to headline Backlash.

Carmella had to cash in sooner or later and this looks like it's to move Charlotte over. Give Becky her chance now please. The Iconics are JUST on the line of a good type of annoying.

Was hoping to see Almas and Zelina here too but that may come in the shake up.

Was stunned to hear the main event and then to see it actually happening but makes sense to further Nakamura by having him beat down the two top faces.

• Paid Members

Watched the show all the way through - thought it was excellent for the most part. 

I've said previously that the mixed tag at Wrestlemania was a great example of WWE at it's bonkers best - an entertaining soap opera with superb athleticism thrown in. The Usos/New Day and Bryan/AJ matches are also perfect examples of WWE matches at their best but with more emphasis on the latter. Both matches were great in terms of not only the moves/action etc but just the crowd engagement in general. 

Also I hadn't seen any of the Iconic Duo's stuff in NXT but I thought their intro here was brilliant, Peyton's piss-taking was belting. They're really onto something with that act I think. A bit like Michelle McCool and Layla's double act from back in the day but much funnier/more interesting. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I think they're a much better version of LayCool. For a start, LayCool were pretty fucking rotten in the ring (Peyton is decent, Billie is ok). They're also funnier with their schtick, and their whiney Australian accents add to their heat.

• Paid Members

That whole segment was brilliantly crafted actually; Charlotte's promo recapped the big clash with Asuka at Wrestlemania and closed the book on that quite nicely, then she turned her attention to announce who she wanted to face next before the Iconic's interruption. Then after the entertaining insults I thought the beatdown on Charlotte was nicely done too, so not only can they work the mic but they come across as a couple of bad bitches from a physical aspect as well. Then Carmella comes out and the whole deal with the cash-in and the stalling was a great touch, the pin/win/getting the title was great, and Carmella's OTT celebration were also superb. 

Not sure how long the segment lasted in entirety but just thought it was a really effective way to develop four different characters in one sitting. Even with Charlotte getting beaten down and losing the title, it opens the door for her to move to Raw and chase the title before the Rousey stuff begins down the road. They used to do a few angles like this in the Attitude Era (and in ECW) where they'd manage to do something effective in a segment with multiple characters at once. 

My only gripe about the segment was the referee - Carmella's handed him the briefcase and is yelling 'cash it in!' and he's stood there with this confused look on his face.
I know he was only following orders and they likely booked it that way to 'build tension' but, seriously, I was going 'this guy's a fucking idiot'.

6 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

My only gripe about the segment was the referee - Carmella's handed him the briefcase and is yelling 'cash it in!' and he's stood there with this confused look on his face.
I know he was only following orders and they likely booked it that way to 'build tension' but, seriously, I was going 'this guy's a fucking idiot'.

He's their most experienced referee too. Good job Carmella didn't grab one of the newer guys or she'd still be there now trying to explain the concept of this so called "cashing in". 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, boytoy said:

Wasn't the thing with the ref on purpose to be play to the crowd with Carmella getting more and more irate? I thought her reaction was pretty funny.

Yes. That's exactly what they were going for and it worked a treat. 

• Paid Members

That makes sense anyway. The refs are all about fairness. It makes sense that they'd want to talk the heel out of doing something dastardly to someone in no condition to wrestle. Like the way they appeal to people not to go to far in no holds barred matches and the like. Only complaint would be that they should have done this all along, except perhaps the first time.

It doesn't look like the referee is trying to talk her out of it though.  It looks like he's confused and doesn't understand what a MITB briefcase is.  Also, why would Carmella just stand there waiting, she should nail Charlotte in the face while the ref has a conversation with the announcer.  Still worked for her though, so I guess it's OK.

Perhaps the idea they had was that he couldn't understand what Carmella was saying because she was screeching? Cos, ya know bitches be cray cray. In the end it just made the ref look really dumb but at least Carmella played her part well.

Almost a shame that they are doing the superstar shakeup as between Bryan coming back and Nakamura turning heel the Smackdown roster looks more interesting than it has in ages (factoring in Sami and Kev inevitably getting their jobs back).

1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

The iconic duo are terrible. Cringy as hell to listen too.

I thought they were brilliant. Total heels. BK's "It was.... good", comment on the women's match was gorgeous. That, along with Nakamura's bit, made this one of the best Smackdown's for promos I think I've seen.      

Archived