Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members

I wish they'd fucking drop "fired" stipulations. It's 2018, we all know how these things work. I know it's a world where none of it's real and it's the story that matters, not the reality, but while some stories are easy to suspend disbelief for (titles matter, people hating each other) talent actually losing their jobs and being gone for even a decent length of time simply isn't any more because it's been exposed as bullshit too many times and makes the artificial stakes harder to get excited about.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve been trying to work out how they write themselves out of the stipulation.

Every possibility seems awful; Bryan loses /KO and Sami stay ‘fired’/Shane turns heel.

Then I realised the simplest way is also the most controversial: turn Daniel heel. I’m not saying they should, but it might help with squaring the circle of his return. You remove the best sympathetic babyface in the world at the time you’re trying to get Roman over as a sympathetic baby: you can put an end to this story arc for the time being (write Shane out, until he comes back around Survivor Series time): you create a fresh opponent for the winner of AJ/Nakamura and maybe, later, Roman: there’s no evidence he’s a genuine needle mover, so you keep the business from his diehards (who aren’t going anywhere) but maybe take the sting out of the yes movement en masse: and you maybe have a new main event stable in Bryan/KO/Sami. Seeing as he hasn’t resigned as GM, Bryan as an almost evil player-manager, with back-up, could be fun chasing the title for a while until he’s removed as GM.

I’m not saying they should, I think at the very least they should ride the babyface wave until a big title win at either Summerslam or the next Mania. But I can see why they would.

• Paid Members

Turning the most popular babyface they've had in a decade and the star of the most inspirational comeback story in recent memory, or at least trying to, in his first match back, would fail on every level and represents a level of stupid even WWE couldn't possibly fall to.

For what it's worth, i'm absolutely not suggesting they should. I'm just saying I can see why they might be tempted. Particularly if it's true that, as Bryan said, his run on top had no noticeable effect on business.

He's the most popular babyface in a decade for live audiences who would likely be there anyway. If that devotion doesn't stretch beyond that, they may well be tempted to try something different.

Again, I can't stress this enough: I don't think they should BUT it would certainly be a talking point (a Wrestlemania 'moment', as it were), provide a load of new feuds coming out of Wrestlemania and change they dynamic of the live crowd.

Obviously they shouldn't, really, they should capitalise on a wave of good will and good crowd response... BUT I just want to seem clever if it happens..

• Paid Members

Thought Smackdown was a little underwhelming.

The spot at the end was cool, but AJ v Nakamura just needs to get in the ring. Everything else is to it's detriment.

Not a fan of the stipulation either for the tag match, but I'm sure it will be a cracker. I see them definitely dragging this out for a couple of months yet. I suppose the benefit of having Shane there is he'll take the pin for Bryan, should it go that way. Although, I hope Bryan and Shane win, leading to Owens/Zayn taking the pair of them out again. 

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Turning the most popular babyface they've had in a decade and the star of the most inspirational comeback story in recent memory, or at least trying to, in his first match back, would fail on every level and represents a level of stupid even WWE couldn't possibly fall to.

And that is probably why it will happen - because SWERVE!

• Paid Members

Oh dont worry @d-d-d-dAz I know its not what you'd do. I just can't imagine a world where they'd jettison such a feelgood story so quickly.

I understand the "looks good if it happens" appeal. I'm telling everyone Brazil will win the World Cup.

• Paid Members

I think Daniel Bryan turning heel was an option before he was cleared to wrestle - they had definitely been toying with dissension between him and Shane, and him being more on the side of Owens and Zayn, for a long time. But now that he's able to wrestle again, I think the whole angle has to take a backseat to the Daniel Bryan Comeback Special.

• Paid Members

They've made such a fuss of the Usos not making the Wrestlemania card before that it would be a right kick in the bollocks for them to end up on the pre-show now, so given that the match isn't official yet, it does seem like that could get shunted. The US Title match I can't see ending up on the pre-show simply because it's got Randy Orton in it, and I'm sure they'd see him as a main card-worthy talent.

The pre-show will likely be two hours, so a minimum of two matches on there - probably the Cruiserweight Title match and the Andre Battle Royal. With all the talk of them making a big deal of it this year to coincide with the HBO special, they've barely mentioned it.

Archived