Smackdown Discussion Thread

Putting my fantasy booking head on, assuming Shane and Bryan aren’t at Smackdown next week, Zayn and Owens turn up despite being fired to gloat prompting AJ, Nakamura, Roode and Orton to come out to show some solidarity on behalf of the roster for the two but as they go to attack, Regal’s music hits and he announces he’s the stand in GM for the night

He sends AJ and co away telling them to not waste their time on Owens and Zayn then turns to the two and says that while they remain fired they will still see action as per the orders of Shane against opponents of Regal’s choosing. Out comes Big Show and Mark Henry, who beat the two down for a bit until Regal announces that they weren’t his picks and that that was just a warm up for a 4 on two handicap against 4 of the baddest NXT stars which brings out Dain, Lars Sullivan and the Authors of Pain. Owens and Zayn try to fight but eventually fall to a combo of the Ulster Plantation, Freak Accident and the Super Collider

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Why are heels being put into the unfair "insurmountable odds" spot? Why should they wrestle for free if they're "still fired"? Why would you bury them before Mania? Just why?

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Meltzer gave their match a 4 and 3/4 stars

Omega/Okada is the only one with a 6 star rating.

No. Misawa/Kawada also got 6 stars and supposedly so did a Steamboat/Flair house show match (plus two Omega/Okada matches).

Omega/Okada at Dominion last year is the only 6 1/4* match, that must be what you're thinking of.

edit: what mim posted, basically

I don’t mind the Orton/Roode thing because it actually made sense. Here’s a guy who worked years to get the big shot, wins the title but then gets derailed by the guy who has done it all APART from win the US Title. If they’d kept it as a singles and not shoehorned Jinder in there I’d be ok with it. 

They’ve made something out of the Usos never being on the main card, so surely that appears there now? 

I can see Tye Dillinger getting future endeavoured after Mania because he dared to start getting over. 

I think the build to Shinsuke/AJ has been poor for two reasons. The last PPV derailed the slow burn they could have had because AJ had to focus on the title match. That card would’ve been so much better and helped the build more had they just done AJ/Shinsuke as a team vs. Zayn & Owens or had AJ off the card and done Nakamura putting his title shot on the line either in a singles or multiman. I also think they’ve wrapped them both in cotton wool because I think both guys are a slight knock away from missing the show. It also feels like they’ve only booked this match to go Fuck You Meltzer too. 

1 minute ago, air_raid said:

Why are heels being put into the unfair "insurmountable odds" spot? Why should they wrestle for free if they're "still fired"? Why would you bury them before Mania? Just why?

To give them a taste of their own medicine for not only what they done to Shane and Bryan but for other run ins they’ve made during this run as a duo. Then they can come back and make the challenge and put in a stipulation that if they win they not only get their jobs back but Shane and Bryan lose theirs, allowing DB to go back to being an in ring performer

• Paid Members

Agree that Dillinger is shite. Well, I wouldn't go that far, but he's definitely nothing special. He's ok in-ring, charisma isn't bad but not great either- he got over just because of the 10 thing. You strip that away and he's very bland.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, jonnybgoode82 said:

It also feels like they’ve only booked this match to go Fuck You Meltzer too. 

Explain? Dave's looking forward to it, they've failed miserably if that's the case.

It does make you wonder how this impacts 'THE PLAN', if at all.

I'm not saying they're going to do an about turn and decide against crowning Roman Reigns as the face of the company, but they can maybe ease off on trying to force Roman into the pure babyface role he's clearly not suited to. It might free them up to take more risks with him, allow him to be more abrasive and let more of his natural arrogance/confidence (depending on your opinion) come through a bit. He certainly doesn't need to play the role of the guy defending the WWE's honour (and that of the fans) against the nasty mercenary Brock Lesnar. He never was, obviously, but now Roman is definitely not the fans advocate. He'll still be the face of the company, but Bryan is definitely THE guy again, and will suck up all the oxygen as 'BIGGEST BABYFACE IN THE COMPANY'.

Could actually be a good thing for Roman.

• Paid Members

It's a good thing for Roman especially considering there are two belts and two spots for "on top" available whereas when he was booked ahead of Bryan before, there was only one. Reigns being on the other show means his spot wont be considered "at the expense" of Bryan, much like AJ has flourished as a champion on SmackDown kept away from Reigns and Lesnar. Roman gets less backlash if he's kept away from the popular Bryan so he's not viewed as keeping him down. Well, Bryan and AJ. To an extent, Nakamura. Hey, can we get Braun drafted to SmackDown too?

Archived