Smackdown Discussion Thread

7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

They've made such a fuss of the Usos not making the Wrestlemania card before that it would be a right kick in the bollocks for them to end up on the pre-show now, so given that the match isn't official yet, it does seem like that could get shunted. The US Title match I can't see ending up on the pre-show simply because it's got Randy Orton in it, and I'm sure they'd see him as a main card-worthy talent.

The pre-show will likely be two hours, so a minimum of two matches on there - probably the Cruiserweight Title match and the Andre Battle Royal. With all the talk of them making a big deal of it this year to coincide with the HBO special, they've barely mentioned it.

It was officially announced on Smackdown

I think the Cruisers and Andre the Giant are certainties at this point but other then that everything else seems like it will be on the main card

The US Title is probably most likely but as you say the fact Orton is in it makes it seem likely it'll be on the main show and they surely wont leave the Usos off now and can't see New Day not being on it either.

Maybe just the 2 matches on the pre show?  

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

They've made such a fuss of the Usos not making the Wrestlemania card before that it would be a right kick in the bollocks for them to end up on the pre-show now, so given that the match isn't official yet, it does seem like that could get shunted. The US Title match I can't see ending up on the pre-show simply because it's got Randy Orton in it, and I'm sure they'd see him as a main card-worthy talent.

The pre-show will likely be two hours, so a minimum of two matches on there - probably the Cruiserweight Title match and the Andre Battle Royal. With all the talk of them making a big deal of it this year to coincide with the HBO special, they've barely mentioned it.

The SmackDown tag title match has been announced, I saw it on WWE.com today. Clinging onto hope that Jimmy and Jey finally make it.

They've probably been the best act on the entire roster this year. Arguably the best tag team in all of wrestling. If this get anything other than a decent amount of time on the main show then it's an absolute travesty for those guys. You'd even hope their colleagues would push for it on their behalf were it looking like it was going to get bumped.

I would have had the US Title on there before the inclusion of Rusev.

Hopefully, the pre show will kick off with the woman's battle royal, have the cruiserweight title in the middle and then have it main evented with the Andre battle royal.

That leaves 11 matches on the main show, sounds a lot but I suppose it's doable.

I still think the Smackdown tag title misses out though and the Woman's battle royal ends up on the main card.

I don’t know why I’m banging this particularly shitty drum, especially considering I don’t think it’s a good idea, but I imagine Bryan could work a much more brain-friendly style as a heel, without arbitrarily compromising his act.

• Paid Members

I would have thought that the change in name/focus of the Womens Battle Royal would mean its a shoe-in to be on the pre-show. With no focus or additional reason to highlight the Women in the show, they can get away from it somewhat, particularly as they've just had the Rumble.

But I think both battle royals will be pre-show inclusive and then the Cruiserweight Title too. 

I think in terms of importance, the other matches almost put themselves on the main card.

5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

They're hardly known for swerves. Fuck, things plod so painfully I even crave a Vinny Ru special for no reason these days.

True enough - I am probably too jaded from many years of watching TNA do things that made no sense, for no reason whatsoever, because they liked a swerve that I still have it ingrained into me that it could likely happen.  In some ways, that may be where WWE lets itself down - the mundane predictability of it all!

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don’t know why I’m banging this particularly shitty drum, especially considering I don’t think it’s a good idea, but I imagine Bryan could work a much more brain-friendly style as a heel, without arbitrarily compromising his act.

It would compromise any babyface's act though, because no fucker is cheering for anyone going up against D-Bry. A heel Daniel Bryan will even have the crowd behind him against AJ and Nakamura.

• Paid Members

It's hard to work out what might be going on the pre show at this stage. Almost every match contains someone or something that WWE normally like to feature fairly prominently. My guess is that the Andre battle royale, Cruiserweight title match and Smackdown Tag title match will be on the pre-show. If when they are deciding on the order of the show, WWE decide to put a Kid Rock performance in the middle of it, then I think they might move the Women's battle royal earlier as well. If they have time for 11 matches on the main card when everything is worked out, then I'd be very surprised if the women's battle royal is one of the chosen matches to be on the pre show. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

It would compromise any babyface's act though, because no fucker is cheering for anyone going up against D-Bry. A heel Daniel Bryan will even have the crowd behind him against AJ and Nakamura.

It's like that Bray Wyatt deal a few years ago. They tried to turn Bryan to stop the crowd getting arsey for 'Mania 30, but we saw exactly how that ended up going.

Decent Smackers this week...liked the AJ/Nakamura build. Obvious that WWE doesn't want either to be booed but I liked the psychology of Nakamura. Feel like their story got a bit more meat on it this week.

Bryan's promo was great, proving again that the best talkers are those whose characters are just an extension of their own selves. I'm not sure the stipulation adds much as we know Mania stips can be forgotten in an instant. Plus, Bryan's probably giving up the General Manager role after Mania so the new GM can just bring Owens and Zayn straight back if they lose.

Honorable mention to my main lass Becky Lynch, doing some under the radar work as usual. I hoped she would come out of the Women's Battle Royal on top but her showing tonight in throwing everyone out probably means that's not the case. 

As for the pre-show, don't forget you're going to need some 'filler' on the main card so I don't automatically assume that the three least exciting matches go on it. I can't see both battle royals on the pre-show but definitely one. 

• Paid Members

I can't believe how uncool Nakamura is these days. He was the coolest man on the planet that first night against Sami Zayn. If you'd told me then that he'd eventually challenge AJ Styles for the WWE Title at Wrestlemania I'd have been over the moon. Now though? He's a complete geek.

Archived