Smackdown Discussion Thread

I may be alone in my thinking, but the guy is perfect for an expensive suit and a place alongside Triple H as his new "chosen one."

He's one of the few guys on the roster who could legit have walked into Evolution back in the day.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, David said:

I may be alone in my thinking, but the guy is perfect for an expensive suit and a place alongside Triple H as his new "chosen one."

That’s the last thing raw needs more authority crap in my opinion didn’t really work with Seth so I could not see it working with bobby 

7 minutes ago, Jacko said:

That’s the last thing raw needs more authority crap in my opinion didn’t really work with Seth so I could not see it working with bobby 

I'd say the difference is that Seth wasn't as suited to the role as Roode could be. Remember his Robert Roode Inc gimmick in TNA? Something along those lines.

It would certainly be better than what he's doing at the moment.

• Paid Members

The "bosses' favourite" thing has been done to death. Part of what I liked about Owens & Jericho while Kev was U champ (on top of each being excellent in their given character role) was the dynamic between the two where Y2J was part second/interference runner, part mentor. It was fresh. I suppose you could say they did something similar with pre-Evolution Triple H and Flair, but honestly all Naitch did much was stand in the corner in a suit and occasionally pass Hunter his sledgey. JerichOwens (if you like) were a true double act and far more interesting than the generic "top bad guy stands there and smirks while a McMahon/HHH tells you they're top dog" which we've been watching on and off for 20 years.

I guess I'm just old school in that respect. I love that old heel angle where he's got someone like Flair in the corner distracting the ref, using brass knucks and suchlike, where you're supposed to believe they leave the arena in designer suits and Italian shoes before hitting the strip club and partying the night away.

I never really liked the Jericho/Owens thing, because I've always thought Owens looked like he should be wrestling down the community centre. his build, his rubbish t-shirts and his shitty beard never really screamed "main event" at me to be honest, but I'm probably in the minority there.

• Paid Members

The failing of Owens as champion for me was that he was still booked fairly midcard I.e. not being a focal point or being permitted to actually beat Reigns or Rollins by pinfall seemingly until he was five months into his run.

Him and Sami will be great tag champs on Raw soon though.

Not down on Roode either, i really like the bloke. I probably sounded down on him in my previous post saying he'll probably be the one to turn heel rather than Reigns, but i actually hope he does to be honest. I loved his NXT run and was looking forward to his call-up but it's just been all a bit nothing. I wouldn't mind Ziggler and McIntyre recruiting him, them all being disgruntled and shit, thinking they're the best wrestlers around and having been round the block, feeling at this point in their career they deserve to be in a better position, so together they're going to take it. I'd add another so they have more of a Horseman vibe and to avoid Shield comparisons, don't know who that'd be currently. Those guys against Seth and Finn might be some decent stuff. I'd be quite happy if Roode prospered on Raw really.

Agreed above with Sami and KO, they'll surely take the tag titles soon. I'd take a good run of them running the tag division and give heel Roode a crack around the main event. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, David said:

I guess I'm just old school in that respect. I love that old heel angle where he's got someone like Flair in the corner distracting the ref, using brass knucks and suchlike, where you're supposed to believe they leave the arena in designer suits and Italian shoes before hitting the strip club and partying the night away.

I never really liked the Jericho/Owens thing, because I've always thought Owens looked like he should be wrestling down the community centre. his build, his rubbish t-shirts and his shitty beard never really screamed "main event" at me to be honest, but I'm probably in the minority there.

I'm not really up for a Horsemen-esque group at the moment. I blame TNA and their myriad of absolutely shit stables and most specifically that hideous Fortune thing which I can't help but associate Roode and Styles with. It's a shame because i do think they've got guys who in smart dress look like they live the life and can talk. Roode, McIntyre and Buddy Murphy with Trips in the Flair role could be something but I just think it might come off as a knock off. Plus Trips casts a long shadow (and not just because of his nose).

You're right about the heel cheating though. One of the things I miss most about wrestling. An art that's being lost in the big league.

• Paid Members

I don't think Roode even needs the explicit Authority connection to make that work - just tweak the schtick he was doing in NXT. I loved his debut promo there, which went from the clichéd "I came to NXT because it's the hottest brand in the world" babyface spiel and transitioned beautifully into him heeling on the whole concept of NXT as this "indie" brand by saying he would make it more worthwhile, make it a prestige brand, replace all the out of shape fans in T-shirts with wealthy types in expensive suits and so on.

It's hardly reinventing the wheel, but it doesn't need to be. WWE don't have the level of brand identity, in that sense, that NXT does (in fact, you're more likely to get cheered by insulting the company than by defending it, such is WWE's mental relationship with its own fanbase), but Roode's definitely good enough to make a variation on that theme work on the main roster, just playing the Ric Flair style wealthy elite champion. That they didn't have him come in as a heel, immediately addressing the fact that people go mad for his entrance by pandering to them only to turn it around and mock them about it, was daft.

Stick him with the Revival and one other as a faction. I think promo wise they can all carry it.

Possible others could be: Jack Gallagher (or any heel cruiser, I just want the cruisers integrated into the main world). Would have been a way better use of McIntyre in the enforcer role as well. 

• Awards Moderator

I think you're supposed to hate it but I love the new Nakamura mix. Good idea to attempt to derail the singalong though. Bobby Roode's is going to need similar one day. 

• Paid Members

Really impressed with how Big Cass came off. I'm normally one to shit on him but he looked pretty good in the suit and seemed composed and believable in his promo.

Nakamura's music will take some getting used to. He's so great as a heel.

Balor/Bullet/The club factions on both shows? I wonder if they keep them entirely separate or play up the connection.

Much of a nothing show. 50% of it was them airing the GRR ad's over and over. Jesus.

Archived